Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What tyres for Flanders?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Well,
    I kinda have decided but just checking experience of others that have ridden it.
    I have signed up for the 80 mile middle distance route on the Saturday.
    Planning on using my Kinesis Gran Fondo Titanium V1 with Ultegra 6800.
    Currently running Stans Alpha 340 on Hopes and Hutchinson fusions 23mm tubeless.
    Thinking of running some wider tyres maybe Scwalbe One’s in 25mm also tubeless.
    Thinking of dropping pressure to about 90 psi.
    I am running Fizik tape 3mm extra tacky which feels pretty thick so don’t think I need more padding on the bars.
    What are other people’s set ups for Flanders?
    Thanks,
    Max

kilo

I used whatever was on my bike, bog standard 23mms ones at abou 90 psi, didn’t seem to suffer as a result. The mrs used vitoraia pave but only because she got them cheap. If your changing tyres anyway go for 25mm imho it’s not essential for Flanders. What is handy are bottle cages you can compress (so metal ones) so they hold the bottle securely.

MrSmith
    Free Member

how much do you weigh? i have done flanders on GP 4000s 23c at 75-85 F-R psi but I’m only 10.5 stone
    i would go to the 25’s and just use the right pressure for your weight (for me i would be around 70-80 f-r on 25’s)
    did it on vittoria paves one year as it was for a magazine feature and had to use them, they felt slow compared to the usual continentals. personally i dont think you need special tyres, no problems with grip in on the wet cobbles and i was not holding back on the flat/descents. roubaix is another matter and i would go to 28’s the pavé is like loaves of bread and a whole new ball game.

MrSmith
    Free Member

and no mudguards! its not TOF without belgian toothpaste.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanks for that.
    Was thinking of changing tyres as looking a bit worn.
    I was wondering if the cobbles mite need more of a file tread for grip but guessing the smoother tyres mite be better.
    Got some Elite titanium cages which seem to give a death grip on the bottles so should be alrite! 😉

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I weigh bout 13.5 stone and normally run bout 100 psi in the tubeless tyres at 23mm.
    Used to run 110-115 in tubed tyres so hoping to run less pressure for comfort.
    Glad to hear it’s smoother than Roubaix but still gonna be somewhat of a challenge!

tthew

32mm Continental Sport Contacts for me, which I’ll use again this year. Quite fast enough and enables you to ride the cobbles as they should be, (flat out, on the drops) without fear of punctures.

Oh, and 32:16 single speed should get you up all the climbs less than 20% 😈

mafiafish
    Free Member

Vittoria Pave evo? Tough but still nice and light.

MrSmith
    Free Member

enables you to ride the cobbles as they should be, (flat out, on the drops) without fear of punctures.

just like a 23c then only a bit slower 😉

i think does depend on the bike and wheels too, have done it on a steel pegoretti with dt wheels (low alloy) and a modern carbon thing with deeper wheels. i know which was the better tool for the job.

Spud

I’ll be sticking with the usual 25mm GP4000s. Biggest the bike can take, might put some thicker tape on but otherwise she goes as is.

aP
    Free Member

Cobbles on Flanders aren’t that bad TBH, just hit them in a slightly harder gear than you’d prefer and then push through. Roubaix, on the other hand, bricks thrown out of a passing helecopter, I have a feeling it’ll be damp this year, and if so I’ll be riding Clement PDX.

wingnuts

Another vote for Vittoria pave evo. Great tyre and I think better than the equivalent Contis. I’m a heavy boy at 95 kg and go for the biggest section I can. Can be frame dependent but currently 28s.
    Advice about attacking the cobbles is spot on.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Is there a advantage in using a file tread as in Vittoria Pave Evo?
    Or is a slicker tread ok?
    Just wondering if the cobbles require more of a tread?
    Thinking of using the Scwalbe One in 25mm?
    This is tubeless so hoping this will provide some grip!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for Flanders?’ is closed to new replies.