Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tyres for… (caution LBS content)
  • Flaperon

After some new tyres for a Lakes ride this week. Following an unpleasant experience on Continental Race Kings (pinch-flatting front and rear every mile or so) I asked specifically for a fast rolling tyre that’s durable and pinch-flat resistant.

Not being a tyre expert, I went with their recommendation of a pair of Rocket Rons, paid my £80, and left. I stuck them on the bike this afternoon but haven’t been ridden.

A quick Google afterwards suggests that they’re a fragile nightmare to use and particularly vulnerable to pinch-flats. Oh, and recommended AGAINST for the Chilterns – where the shop is based – because of delicate sidewalls. And on top of that, on Wiggle they’re less than half what I paid.

Should I push for a refund? Or just buy a bit bottle of sealant and a couple of valves?

maxtorque

I’d get some kevlar inlay strips, and some chunky DH tubes,,and run them at high pressure, and you might actually be ok, if you’re not too much of a “crash into stuff” kinda rider

I suspect the shop heard “fast rolling” and nothing else……

parkesie
    Free Member

Go tubeless.

tomaso
    Free Member

I ripped the sidewall of my Exo tubeless ready High Roller on a gentle roll from Helvellyn to Raise the other night and after my brief flirtation with single ply types will be returning to dual ply.

Too many good Lakeland rides spoiled by Mobby NICs and other lightweight German tyres.

I am sure in a moment someone will pop along to tell you they ride like Gee Atherton in the Lakes and have never had a puncture or any mechanicals and you just need to ride light…

timidwheeler
    Free Member

They’re not what you want so take them back.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The ones on Wiggle will most likely not be exactly the same tyres as you have bought . Rocket Rons come in many different types . If you’re suffering pinch flats you need more air in the tyre or tubeless , as pinch flats will occur in any tyre if it gets hit hard enough although bigger volume tyres will be less susceptible . Did you get 2.25s or something smaller ? I have 2.25 size Rons on a 29er and have had no problems but of course that isn’t to say you won’t .

Flaperon

Thanks for the advice, went ghetto tubeless in the end. LBS gave me a valve core tool to finish the job. So far they still have air in…

May pack a spare tyre for the Lakes ride, let alone tubes!

martinhutch

You got two tyres that fulfil only one of your criteria. Should have swapped them really. Are they Snakeskin? Not that that may help much, but if not, welcome to slashed sidewalls.

I may have just being having an awful day, but if you’re going to N Lakes, watch out for unusual slippiness on slatey stuff.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If someone suggested rocket rons for riding in the lakes I would ask them if they are taking the piss. However I like chunky tyres.

sofatester
    Free Member

If someone suggested rocket rons for riding in the lakes I would ask them if they are taking the ####.

My thoughts exactly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for… (caution LBS content)’ is closed to new replies.