Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What tyres for aggressive riding and generally being sick to the power of rad?
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I need a new tyre for the back of my Spicy. I’m running a 2.5 Minion DHF Single Ply 60A up front and am running a 2.2 Conti Rubber Queen out back but the Conti has got a nasty bulge in the (paper thin) sidewall and I’m racing at CYB next weekend so I’m definitely not going to risk it.

I like my Minions and would just get a 2.35 DHF straight away but there isn’t much volume and they do come up pretty skinny. I’m not very happy with the RQ tbh as they do let go quite quickly, they’re expensive for the Black Chili version and the sidewalls are too thin.

It’ll be used for thrashing around my local trails, DH tracks and racing Gravity Enduros.

So, is there a tyre out there that rides like a Minion but is higher volume or am I asking too much?

_tom_
    Free Member

Specialized Clutch SX. Replaced my front minions with it and its great, so good i also got rid of my rear high roller for one. Much lighter but still pretty strong and i found they don’t wear nearly as quickly, my first one still looks like new.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m using the bike for XC stuff too. Won’t the SX wear quite quickly on that and roll slower? Also, what would I do, run the Clutch up front and move the 2.5 Minion to the back?

Mantastic
    Free Member

It’s powaah and personally go for nates

fairhurst
    Free Member

once more a tyre thread 😯

Panaracer fire xc is all you need!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Panaracer fire xc is all you need!

*facepalm*

Rorschach
    Free Member

Radditude to the max

transporter13
    Free Member

Scwalbe big betty

Lighter/grippier/harder wearing than my old minions

Dual compound so the centre tread is harder than the edges

mrdestructo

MY EYES!!!!

neninja
    Free Member

Continental Baron 2.3 Apex BC would probably be a good fit. It has a strengthened sidewall compared to the Rubber Queen and more aggresive tread pattern -it’s described as an Intermediate downhill tyre.

EdO was running them (might still be) and gave a good review on them.

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/Tyres/Continental/Baron.aspx?ID=578

camglam
    Free Member

im running continental barons on my nukeproof mega have ben for about 8 months and they have been a great even though there only a 2.3 they grip well and have had no issues with punctures think cycle adicts in rochdale has them in stock.

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno i use my bike with clutches for everything and its fine, can’t say I’ve noticed more drag than my old maxxis tyres. They don’t wear quickly either, used mine for 2 months in whistler which included riding 5km to an from the bike park every day, plus the xc riding round there.. also just done a week in Wales up/down snowdon and various trail centres, again spot on.

hugor
    Free Member

Depends whether you want tyres for sick or rad.
    Don’t think one tyre will perform well in both let alone chunk, gnar or fnar.

big_scot_nanny

I would not recommend Big Betty’s, particularly the freeride ones in the big size. draggier than chewing gum on a hot day, a complete pig if you have to do any ‘commuting’ to the top on fire road or riding on smooth trails.

However, if you have to get down anything wet, rocky, muddy and roots, they are bloomin amazing.

Kev

honourablegeorge

Hans Dampf

warpcow
    Free Member

Schwalbe Wicked Will Evo Freeride triple-compound 2.35″ blah blah blah. Fast-ish rolling, enough grip for most conditions (thick gloop, thin gloop, dry everything, wet roots, wet rocks, etc), good sidewalls, good cornering grip, and the 2.35″ is bigger than a 2.5 Maxxis. List-price is pretty high, but I got a pair for just under £30 from a German store a few months ago.

Sandwich

To up the sick quotient try something with too little tread. Then you’ll be awesome sorry AWESOME to the MAX.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Use a towel then george……..

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Round rubber ones!

ste_t
    Free Member

Nothing says ‘I am the MAN!’ more than tyres made of wood. On a rigid bike.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for aggressive riding and generally being sick to the power of rad?’ is closed to new replies.