• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Zone.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What tyres for a Ti hardtail for all round use?
  • LordJingles
    Free Member

Hi all

Will be running them on Mavic Crossmax SX's tubeless with Stans sealant. Mostly ride in the chilterns but it will be used in the Peaks, Wales, Scotland etc.

Will not be used in Deep Mud as I have Mud X's on another bike for that.

Was thinking NN/RR 2.25 tubeless or Maxxis High Roller XC 2.1s?

Quite like Schwalbe and Maxxis…

Any recommendations?

druidh
    Free Member

Is that fact that it's Ti important to your choice?

I run Michelin XCR-ATs on mine.

Zone
    Free Member

I sell both …and I wouldn't put you on rr or nn for rocky terrain due to thin side walls.. super fast in tubeless though… I run rr/rr 2.1,and get away with it for racing…and trailquests. You could do the same… but there's a higher risk of tyre damage in more extreme conditions.

The maxxis hr 2.1 is a true surprise tyre for what they look like they should do..rolls great, fast,,, assured control…very tough. It's the tyre of choice for most of the top end Whytes and Marins of the peg.

I'f you not an over confident rider with oodles of speed riding experience I would go for the High rollers… you do just forget they are there.. and enjoy the ride.

Great tyes 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vinnyeh

I run non-UST NN2.25's on my Ti hardtail 😉 , on Stans rims – in a year or so riding in the Peaks I only had one flat, and that was from a burp, love the tyres, agree the sidewalls are thin though, and you do run a risk of trouble.

vinnyeh

avdave2

Well if it's for ti you need something twice as expensive as you already have that does exactly the same job. 🙂

LordJingles
    Free Member

druidh – the reason why I mentioned Ti is to suggest I didnt need a tyre with huge volume to take some sting out of the rear end.

avdave2 – really useful, thanks…

Zone – I was hoping that the tubeless versions of the RR and NN would be tougher but I'm not sure. I have the HR 2.1 eXc on another wheelset and agree… quite skinny though! 🙂

legspin
    Free Member

Use the Snake Skin NN they are ace for the rocks.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

NN and RR UST are fine in rocks…. yes they do have thicker sidewalls

GaryLake
    Free Member

2.1 HRs are tiny though!

singlespeedstu

Depends if it's a brushed, polished or bead blasted finish.

Oh and what colour the decals are.

RealMan
    Free Member

Conti UST rubber queen 2.2s

Zone
    Free Member

I use rr 2.4s tubeless as well…. could be an option? I liked them! increased tyre contact but still fast fast fast… slower roll over and lean… so a bit slower in to the turn! but also an increased wheel circumference which has an almost 29er affect to some degree…rolling over more ruts and hollows smoother! Just watch your braking … as the brake away point to a skid is obviously quite early. Chuck a NN 2.4 on the front for better directional control… it can help!

back in the 80s and 90's we would run 2.1's and think they where fat tyres… skinny ones where 1.5 hard packs 😀

The high roller 2.1 seems to get away with loads of stuff,,, going bigger on such an aggressive tread, you are moving to the realms of freeride.

tubeless tyres have thicker walls by the nature of their design thats why they are heavier than their tubed equivalents… the Scwalbes are still prone to damage in rockier conditions though.

I sell hundreds of rr and nn every year and understand the product completely…i also have 8 key riders that try and test products we like at lots of different levels. This gives me a great insight into the products I sell. priceless even! 😀

The one tyre I could recommend that is an excellent all rounder is the schwalbe smart sam 2.1(general) and 2.25in(peaks and stuff) tubeless… can't recommend them enough! seems do everything very well!

zone

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for a Ti hardtail for all round use?’ is closed to new replies.