Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What tyres do you use on your "aggressive AM" bike?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Aggressive AM for lack of concise description, basically the bike you use for anything from XC through to DH/Freeride.

Now the weather has turned, im struggling to determine which fit and forget tyres for the next few months.

Currently have high rollers, in both 2.35 single ply and 2.5 DH. They’re ok, the mud clings to them a bit much now.

The 2.35s don’t have the grip of the 2.5s, but the 2.5s are too heavy (well in my head anyway).

So in my short list is conti baron 2.3 black chilli, high roller 2 exo.

I want the best of all worlds really, good mud shedding, not slow rolling, not too heavy (sub 1kg), grips well on wet rocks and roots, good strength.

Would a 42a front/60a rear swampthing combo be ridiculous?

Anywhere else i should be looking?

BoardinBob

2.35 Stick-E Nevegals

ojom
    Free Member

Round ones that live in the garage in the pile of tyres.

wwaswas

if you want to avoid ‘slow rolling’ then 42a is probably a no-no, tbh.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Minion DHFs and High Rollers

mamadirt
    Free Member

That’s what I’m running (2.35 single plys) – using just the one bike for everything. Swapped from a similar High Roller set up as they were looking pretty worn – the Swampthings do seem a tad narrower – fantastic grip though and feel no more draggy than the HRs.

Baldysquirt

2.4in Advantages

ruscle
    Free Member

Rubber queens 2.2 black chilli

Konastoner
    Free Member

Going against the grain a bit, Spesh Eskars have been a good all-rounders (No pun intended!) for me.

kayak23

2.4 advantages front and rear for everything but uplift days. Dual high rollers for that.

honourablegeorge

2.4 Evo Snakeskin Nobby Nics. Mint.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

2.5 swampthing 42a (dual ply) on front and minion 2.35 42a (single ply) rear at the mo.
    The swampthing 42a’s a great front tyre and I prefer a ‘weightier’ tyre on the front. Generally use a narrower single ply on the rear and probably try a 2.35 swampthing when minion wears low.

Burts
    Free Member

Have used 2.35 Nevegals (StickE front, DTC rear) up to now, but the sidewall is thin and prone to snakebites at the grippy low pressures I prefer.

Going to try Specialized Clutch SX next. 2.35″, 50a/45a combination and a thicker sidewall. Good reviews, so we shall see…

sharki
    Free Member

rubber ones.

After years of using all sorts of different makes of tyre, i’ve come to the conclusion that the best tyres cost money, so i settle for freebies that make my ass twitch and keep my reactions sharp. So long as the rear grips enough when i pedal.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spesh Eskars, run tubeless.

chris36860
    Free Member

Have just tried my new 2.4 Evo snakeskin Nobby Nics at Afan. Full of very wet roots and rock. Totally amazed. Awesome tyres.

devs
    Free Member

If the mud sticking to the HRs is a problem then you have the answer right there! You will also find them to be awesome in snow.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Minion DHFs and High Rollers

This.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Minion Super Tacky 2.5 front Duel Ply
    Minion 60a 2.5 Duel Ply Front but on the rear..

Vortexracing

Swampthings 2.35 single ply 42a/60a

HR 2.35 single ply 42a/60a

or

HR 2.5 single ply 42a/60a for DH type stuff ie Fort Bill and rocky Spain

boxxer7
    Free Member

On my Mega Im running a 2.35 single ply Maxxis Igniotor up front and a 2.0 Mud X out back. The Mud at my local sticks like glue and gets really slippy in places.

The mud X looks pritty narrow but it works really well!

Dave.

anto164
    Free Member

Ardents on one set of wheels, and minions on another 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

Just got a baron in black chilli to replace a high roller 60a. 6 or so rides in i’d rate them better than high rollers. Clear very well and grip superbly on wet loamy ground. There’s now a few of us converting across to them, most of whom were high roller users.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

eskar control 2bliss

snotrag

Thirding the Eskars – 2.3, 2bliss, on ZTR rims. Really impressed and stonking value for money, half the price of many decent stuff.

timmys

Rubber queens 2.2 black chilli

That

Skyliner
    Free Member

eskar control 2bliss here too

mandog

2.35 Minion 42a front
    2.35 HR 60a rear
    Would like to try swamp things though for the winter

2.5 42a Wet screams on the DH bike

schnor
    Free Member

Another vote for Spesh Eskars. Quite cheap too.

big_scot_nanny

Big Bettys, i think 2.5? or 2.4? big anyway, and they’ve been brilliant. Particular shout out for them in the wet/gloop. Amazing, even on roots.

Kev

Shandy
    Free Member

Black Chilli Barons are the future

Northwind

Whichever ones have brownian motioned their way to the top of the tyre mountain. Right now, 2.35 Swampthings, but normally a 2.35 Nevegal stick-e on the front and a 2.3 Eskar on the back. Don’t like the Eskar much on the front but it’s ace on the back.

Oh… Just found a Specialized Clutch 2bliss, which seems like it’s just a lighter version of the fantastic Clutch SX so that’s going on at some point.

onion
    Free Member

Nobby nic 2.5 front / michelin (f.knows what) rear that i found in bargain bin in the lbs. Looks like sonic the hedgehog. Lethal on tarmac. great on everything else…

Rorschach
    Free Member

I only have a passive PM bike 😳

Lionheart
    Free Member

All mountain bike (to run the DH tracks) has High Rollers super tacky until really gloppy, then goes to Wet Screams.
    My SS which also cruises down the DH tracks has Spec Eskars on all year round, they are a big 2.35 (fast and work well), grip well in the dry and consistent in the wet – great more than fast enough tyre and amazingly cheap!

iDave
    Free Member

what about fashion inner tubes for ‘indifferent some mountain’ riding?

did someone really type ‘aggressive am’?

AndyA
    Free Member

Got a black chili baron on the front and rubber queen rear. The baron’s great, grips well, clears well, decent on wet rocks/roots, and when it does let go its predictable. Usually ride a swampthing on the front during winter, and while the baron might not be as grippy in proper gloop, it rolls better everywhere else, and when it lets go its easier to hold.
    Gonna stick a spesh storm on the back to try out. The rubber queen has been spot on up until lately, just starting to spin out on steeper climbs.
    A friend uses schwalbe muddy Mary’s, they’d be worth a look too.

yunki
    Free Member

yellow ones

onion
    Free Member

@ iDave
    Haven’t you heard of ‘aggressive AM’?????? It’s like super-aggresive XC or gentile DH,…

iDave
    Free Member

or gentile DH

ah, so non-jewish DH? what about islamic freeride lite?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What tyres do you use on your "aggressive AM" bike?’ is closed to new replies.