Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What tyre threads…
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Just how many sets of tyres do people have if they are constantly asking “what flippin tyre?”???

I run one set all yr round – Nobby Nics on my Nomad & Racing Ralphs on my Blur XC. Add a bit of pressure, drop a bit of pressue – change the tyres for this place/that place..pffftt dont get it. At the most I might run a set of 1.95 NN when its muddy otherwise its 2.25.

What tyre threads are juts plain tyresome.

(I know sh1te pun but meh I dont care)

😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

You’re missing the point I think…. “What tyre” t(h)reads are a traddition on STW. 🙂

pinhead
    Free Member

just run what i can afford run em until they wear out then buy a some more

cant afford to keep changing em every time it rains or is dry 🙄

RustySpanner

pinhead – Member

just run what i can afford run em until they wear out then buy a some more

cant afford to keep changing em every time it rains or is dry

Cheaper in the long run, what with inflation.

Sorry.

No, it is, really.
    If I see massively discounted tyres, I usually pick up a pair.
    They all get used, eventually.

fairhurst
    Free Member

dual plys

cynic-al
    Free Member

It does make me LOL/despair.

IME tires make little difference, and I doubt any of the askers are racing to the lever where it might make a difference.

Loving the Sayle pic…

RustySpanner

cynic-al – Member

It does make me LOL/despair.

Why?

Cheap way of fettling your bike.
    Can’t afford to replace bikes, frames or forks very often, but I can experiment with tyres.
    And yes, I can tell the difference, just like I can with crank lengths, ‘cos I am a sensitive little flower.

Can’t you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have abunch of different tyres swapped around depending on conditions and what I am doing. I don’t want big draggy downhill tyres if we are taking the tandem on a long sustrans typoe ride, I don’t wnat 50 / 50 tyres on it for rocky trails. In winter I want mud tyres or ice studs on the solo, in summer something quicker.

I often do 10 miles to and from the trails – wants a fast tyre to do so

Kiril
    Free Member

“Tyres make little difference” that would have you chased out of my house with a pitchfork! I’m sorry but on two or four wheels that make a huge difference.

tomhoward

What tyres for complaining about the number of ‘what tyre’ threads???

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty…I can tell some difference of course, and as TJ says, it can matter.

It’s just folk thinking the perfect choice will get them up Leith hill 2s faster than their podgy mates 😉

Frame and fork make easily the biggest difference re. fettling.

althepal

Speaking to Andy at ridelines and talking about replacing tyres due to lack of grip. He said in 9 times out of ten where front wheel grip is lost its down to poor technique, not the tyre. I tend to believe him!

steve_b77
    Free Member

It is kinda funny, some people hate tyres that others love so asking for advice on something like that is a little strange.

For example, one of my riding buddies had some Fat Alberts and hated them, another had new Mountain Kings and hated them, so they swapped as they liked the others tyres.

v8ninety

They do make a difference; Too high a rolling resistance can be a real drag if you don’t need the traction. However, what sort of tyre for different types of off road is a slightly more spurious question, for the level most people ride at, I think…

RustySpanner

It’s not about speed – it’s about confidence.

If I feel confident then I enjoy myself more, relax, ride more and crash less.
    Because I’ve experimented and picked a tyre that suits me, rather than the one everyone raves about but scares the gravy out of me.

singlespeedstu

I love a good what tyres thread.

They’re almost as good as the how should i set you suspension up threads.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

althepal – Member

Speaking to Andy at ridelines and talking about replacing tyres due to lack of grip. He said in 9 times out of ten where front wheel grip is lost its down to poor technique, not the tyre. I tend to believe him!

Posted 6 minutes ago #Report-Post

Must avoid Ridelines if that is their level of advice….

I have winter and summer tyres, round here it goes from thick Mud over wet roots and rocks to dry trails with loose top layer.

Mud X for winter (saved my f4t a55 too many times to count)
    XR2 team issue for summer.

Rode the XR2’s in the wet the other day and came off 3 times on wet roots and rocks, Mud X no issues.

You could say lack of talent but I know the difference and would never think of running the same pair all year.

You must just be great….! 🙄

singlespeedstu

Monster.

You seem to be missing the point.

These type of threads are generaly started by people asking what tyres to use to ride slowly round a trail center.

The reality is that almost anything will do for the situations they’re talking about.
    It’s not F1 or WSB it’s mincing round a surface trail.

RustySpanner

These type of threads are generaly started by people asking what tyres to use to ride slowly round a trail center.

Newbies seeking advice & trying to enjoy themselves safely you mean?
    Bloody PARASITES 😀

singlespeedstu

Newbies seeking advice & trying to enjoy themselves safely you mean?

So they’d not notice the difference then. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

althepal – Member

there is certainly some truth in this – The front grips better if you get your weight on it. However a speedking supersonic will not grip like rubberqueen 2.4 sticky

RustySpanner

I thought of that after I posted, but it was too late to delete it. 🙁

I’m off to have a serious word with myself.
    What tyres for self flagelation? 🙂

Seriously though, people just want a bit of reasurance.
    I imagine that the concept of a trail centre might be a bit scary if you’ve bever ridden one before, ‘specially after reading some of the tales of derring do from the awsum, rad, trailgodz on here 😀

singlespeedstu

WORD. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

What tires for Ciaran path?

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve bought a few sets of tyres 2nd hand lately to see what they are like without the expense of buying new as I wanted to experiment. Bristol bike jumble is also very good and picked up a very cheap brand new DTC folding Nevegal the other month. But today I went one better and found a sticky compound 2.35 High Roller in the tyre section tip today when dumping the old fridge – those Maxxis logos stick out nicely! Quite a bit of life left in it so grabbed it to try it out.

Only tyres I have bought new (and not OEM ones on a bike) are 29er Maxxis Beavers which have impressed me so far on dryish rides – can’t wait to try them in proper mud.

khegs
    Free Member

Oo, I’ll have to heck out the Bristol bike jumble, thinking about swapping my dart/smoke combo for something a little quicker, have some spare fire xcs which I might try as well 😉

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a farmer john and a farmer johns cousin i’ll swap you for you dart , smoke combo.

Garry_Lager

Think they’re some of the more informative threads tbh (although I’m pretty conservative about my own choices, tend to just stick a NN or RQ on and leave it at that). A lot of the bikes that we ride are pretty similar at the end of the day, and it is the tyres that can really distinguish handling.

I do wonder if it’s tyre condition, rather than the tyre itself, that is what’s really important. I have a small medusa, new, on the front of one bike that seems miles more reassuring than the old 2.4 RQ I have on another bike.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I’m too lazy to change tyres on any bike and while differeent tyres make a big difference to way a tyre feels I tend to stick to a tyre I trust. I now have several tyres I trust all have been fitted to different bikes but on ever to that bike. Every new bike gets a different tyre.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So Garry…the tire makes the biggest difference, oh hang on, is it just how worn it is? But bikes don’t really matter…?

khegs
    Free Member

Heh, didn’t think they still made them 😉

Looking at something a bit more modern, these are the folding 2.1s they reissued a few years back

althepal

There’s no doubt certain tyres are better for certain conditions.. Mud, downhill, jumping etc..
    Think he meant at the level that most “average” riders ride at on trailcentres and the like.
    Rang true with me cos I’d recently changed my Conti MKs for Nobby Nics as I had felt the Contis weren’t gripping well at the front.
    I certainly noticed an improvement in grip and speed after the session. And that was on tyres that I had initially thought were rubbish.

althepal

Ps-distinctly average rider here.. I fall into the camp of buying a set of tyres and riding them till they’re worn out, don’t have the money to have two or three sets of tyres in the garage. Don’t think I’d be allowed to!
    And yes, I did notice how crap the NNs were in the mud over the winter but the majority of riding I do is trail centre so they’re pretty decent most of the time which is why I bought them. And the fact On-one were selling them cheap.

antigee

Am i right in thinking that the swear filter used to be set up so that “tyre” wasn’t allowed in post headers?

or was am i suffering a bizarre flash back to an alternative universe?

RustySpanner

fall into the camp of buying a set of tyres and riding them till they’re worn out, don’t have the money to have two or three sets of tyres in the garage. Don’t think I’d be allowed to!

But as pointed out before, it’s actually cheaper.
    Honest. 🙂

Garry_Lager

cynic-al – Member

So Garry…the tire makes the biggest difference, oh hang on, is it just how worn it is? But bikes don’t really matter…? Shrug – it’s just the other side of the coin to what you’re saying. As you know, there’s an awful lot of bolloxology in the bike business, with a lot of the comparisons you read on here being pretty meaningless to the point of straining credibility – what travel for my BFe, 120 or 130mm? XC racer compares 29er v 26er and is 15 secs a lap faster; the new ragley piglet Ti only rewards the forthright rider; How can I drop 200g from my wheelset? etc etc
    ITSM that the design, size and construction of your rubber does actually have some substance to it and some very meaningful distinctions can be drawn.

althepal

Rusty- tell me how having two or three sets of tyres at a time is cheaper than just having one?
    Between the three sets they last longer than one set? Of course they will.
    I cant afford the outlay for three sets of tyres at a time though, so just pick the best all rounder I can at a decent price and ride those till I have to buy another.

RustySpanner

Three sets bought at once will last exactly the same amount of time as three sets bought consecutively.
    But, the total cost will be lower as you avoid subsequent price rises.

And you can try different types for different seasons if you like.

You must have noticed how much tyres, Maxxis especially have gone up recently?

I tend to buy cheap tyres when they’re discounted, and stockpile a couple of pairs.

markwalker
    Free Member

ha some people need to get out more lol

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Orange Five.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What tyre threads…’ is closed to new replies.