• This topic has 62 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • What tyre pressure do you ride with?
  • spock
    Free Member

i usually ride 35psi but i (accidently to be honest) rode the last handful of rides at 20psi, didnt have any squirming or pinch flats ,grip was great, Maxxis advantage 2.1 on mavic xm117 with tubes

AlexSimon

I weigh 9 stone and always run less than 30psi. That’s with schwalbe standard tubes on 717 rims.
    I started out at 30psi in my new Ardent 2.25s and then kept lowering. I haven’t pinch punctured yet despite doing jacob’s ladder/roych/rushup/mam tor.
    Probably at about 26psi now.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I suspect that there will be a big difference in the amount of sqiurm with proper tubeless tyres (thicker sidewalls), and therefore people can run lower pressures…

garybuckham
    Free Member

For tarmac I usually keep the tyres at around 25 psi. Off-road they go down 20 – 15 psi with 10 psi used for soft sand, peat bogs and snow. I shoudl say these are for my Surly Pugsley with Endomorph 3.7″ tyres.

Gary
    http://www.pugsley-on-patrol.org.uk

RealMan
    Free Member

Anything from 15-30psi, depending on what I’m riding. Usually around 25psi.

marc
    Free Member

45 psi at both ends, I hate pinch punctures.

13 1/2 stone on Fire xc’s on Mavis 317’s

WackoAK
    Free Member

30-35 with tubes and 25-30 with tubless (ust).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

forgot to mention that the tyres I run tubeless are not tubeless specific so thicker tyre walls doesn’t apply for anti-squirm. Can’t explain what does though

kiwijohn

40ish.
    Tried low pressure in the UST, but it was squirmy & slow.

timmys

UST Tubeless

Pump them up to 40 then let air out till they feel about right. No idea what they end up at!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m not one for mSsive corner pumping so I expect it’s why I don’t get squirm. Does not matter if guage is accurate just that you use the same guage every time

RDL-82
    Free Member

Ok then I just stick about 40 in f&r. What’s the perceived benefit of running abit less in the front, are people really noticing +/- 5 psi.

yen
    Free Member

30-40 depending on the conditions and routes that i ride

cookeaa

How many people really experiment with their pressures? I know I probably should but I’m not keen on being stuck with a flat somewhere because I went and ran a tyre at 8psi so I tend to stay in the same 10 psi range…

I’ve run as high as 45 before and still found it ridable but now tend to go between 25 and 35 depending on type of riding I plan to do and the tires I’m using… 2.3 Eskars or 2.1 Captains both run tubeless, although I just got some 2.0 Michelin XCR tubeless to try out next summer (cheap on CRC) may play with the pressure in those a bit just to see…

I’m 5’10” and weigh 12 stone, is there a proper formula? for weight/tire/pressure settings?

Tinners

I agree with Junkyard.
    I press them with a thumb and pump them until they’ve got a little “give” (this is a rare skill that, once attained, is never forgotten). If they’ve got more “give” they squirm around the rim and I get lots of punctures, but the ride’s nice and soft. If they’ve got no “give”, then they’ll either explode in the process of pumping, which scares the living sh*t out of anyone within a 500 yard radius or, if successful, results in a hard ride and less grip.
    That’s “in my expert opinion” of course. For those less able, who still need to rely on pressure gauges, I’ll gladly offer a little training if you’re ever passing my way.

andywarner
    Free Member

For the tinners and junkyards of this world, I think my original query was really whether or not people prefer to ride with a really hard tyre, a soft tyre, or somewhere in the middle. The question was raised after I realised that my mate rides with twice as much pressure as me, which is clearly going to make a massive difference in terms of grip, slip and whatever else. However, I really must congratualate you on the ability to use your opposable thumbs to such effect. Darwin would be fascinated. Good effort.

R.lepecha

30psi front, 35-37 rear. tubed. wiegh about 10stone.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“How many people really experiment with their pressures?”

I think tyres are part of the suspension system, not just about grip. I hate the feel of hard tyres, the way they ping off every bump just slows the bike down. Like having too stiff a string and no rebound damping. But too low and the bike doesn’t track right as the tyre is squirming in corners.

The right pressures for a tyre/rim/terrain combo is trial and error. Worth experimenting with.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends on where/what tyres/conditions etc.
    eg have got 32psi in 2.1 Nobby Nics on DT 4.2rims, 26psi in 2.3conti’s on 717’s & 38psi in Maxxis 1.8 medusa’s on 717’s at the moment, but sometimes run as low as 22 in bigger tyres 2.35 High Rollers etc.

kimbers

firm

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

On the XC type bike, high 30’s. On the DH bike, high 20’s.

Any less & I can feel the tyres squirming & rolling on hard cornering.

tonyd5000
    Free Member

28-30 PSI, particularly good for uphill grip in the wet. Also helps my suspension (which I don’t have – hardtail only).

Keva
    Free Member

40psi and I don’t weigh very much. Occasionally take a little bit out if the conditions demand it, don’t like squishy tyres.

Kev

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘What tyre pressure do you ride with?’ is closed to new replies.