Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tyre for….gravel bike
  • butcher

It’s actually a CX bike (with loads of clearance for bigger tyres), but your average CX bike tends to come kitted out with tyres that aren’t massively suitable to the type of riding most of us use CX bikes for. E.g 60% road, 30% canal/railway paths, 10% off road.

Thinking maybe something like the Continental Cyclocross Speed. Wouldn’t mind going a little bigger than 35c though. In for the Dirty Reiver next month and I’m not sure how well a 35c tyre will cope with some of the dolomite type surfaces.

Something mid-range preferably. Hovering around the £20 mark.

boxelder

dolomite type surfaces

?

You’ll be pleased to have 40mm tyres on several sections of the DR200.
    O-O Gravel Roads?
    Panaracer Gravel King.

butcher

?

Is that not what the yellow rock on fire roads is, or am I completely wrong?

boxelder

Ah, I see – thought you meant the region rather than the rock. Grey Carb limestone or Whinstone up there usually I think. The extra rolling speed of 35mm tyres will be less important than the extra comfort of 40mm. Mental resolve and morale – not called gravel grinding for nothing…

johnnystorm

OO Gravel Roads are great.

Nipper99
    Free Member
    jobro
    Free Member

The OO gravel roads come highly rated and very reasonably priced so if they do end up not being used much or unsuitable will not have been such a financial disaster.
    For me, I’m using WTB Nano race tubeless which have proven fine on 60 mile road rides and blue route trail centre rides

vorlich
    Free Member

WTB Nanos are really good all round.

johnnystorm

I used the wire bead Challenge Gravel Grinder inbetween two sets of OO Gravel Roads. They only lasted a third of the distance the OO’s did before they started loosing chunks and becoming puncture prone. I do assume however that the 120 tpi folders are different in more ways than just the folding bead compared to the wire ones.

charliedontsurf

I like the challenge gravel grinders… Surprisingly good in mud, and with a smooth transition from small tread to knobs when cornering. And so far, they have proved to be tough.
    You will find them in my webshop.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You will find them in my webshop.

Showing OOS. Can they be setup tubeless?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tyre for….gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.