Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What tyre for… 29er, proper 2.4/2.5, not too heavy?
  • Northwind

Just considering options to add a bit of squish to my rigid, not going “semi fat” just “not thin”. X-King 2.4 would have been ideal if it was anything like 2.4, frinstance. Nothing slower rolling than a hr2, nothing heavier than… 700g maybe?

I used to have a singleply dtc nevegal 2.5 on the 26er rigid, that was basically perfect.

Clink

Ardent 2.4

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IMO you’ll struggle to find a wide 29er at that weight that won’t puncture or busy a side wall just looking ata rock.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ardent 2.4 or Bonty Xr3

Northwind

@Scienceofficer, I seem to be light on tyres, not sure why- that singleply nevegal had sidewalls like a condom. Not a superlight XC condom, more of a dualply “Not sure where this has been” condom but still. Get what you’re saying but I can probably push the weight lower than would normally be smart.

Ardent straight in at number one, cheers for that!

Anyone know how the 2.4 mountain king 2 sizes up? Conti seem to roll a dice to decide the number on the sidewall.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fair enough!

chiefgrooveguru

2.4 MK is like 2.4 XK and 2.2 TK and 2.2 RK. It’s like the Germans don’t realise than inches is a measurement…

swanny853

Second ardent

Candodavid
    Free Member

Have a gander at an Onza Ibex 2.4. Massive tyre. Rolls real nice too

asdfhjkl
    Free Member
    hooli

As above, Ardent 2.4 is the biggest I have come across recently.

Alex

A mate has the 29er 2.4 ardent on the back of his sultan and he hates it. Really squirmy at the low pressure he’s run other tyres at. There’s still a 2.4 Advantage (and a 2.25) available for 29. Good all round tyre. Not sure it’s 700gr tho, might be a bit more.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No, have a word with yourself. You want something no more than 2.1 and should be called something like a Slick Dick. Pump them up to about 60psi and whilst you’re at it make sure it has at least a 42 chainring on it.

thv3
    Free Member

Echoing comments above, I’ve got a Conti 2.4 MK2, which is pretty much the same size as the TK/RQ 2.2

Not tried anything bigger.

richardthird
    Paceman
    Free Member

I haven’t found anything better than Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35″. They’re a true 29×2.35 as well, unlike some other brands.

Northwind

I forgot about the German nerds, cheers for that! (I think it’s because I see myself in them, and shudder)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What tyre for… 29er, proper 2.4/2.5, not too heavy?’ is closed to new replies.