Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What Tyre Boot/Repair Kit?
  • kevin1911

I managed to put a 1.5cm slash in my Nobby Nics at Glentress last night. Have just gone tubeless so this isn't a great start – is it to be expected that you'll slash the sidewalls more on a tubeless set-up (it's never happened to me before in over 15 years of riding)?

Oh, and to the point of my post – what tyre repair systems would the STW massive recommend? So far, I've come across the Park ones (which look huge), the Pararacer ones and the Rema ones from CRC. What's the verdict?

Thanks

whytetrash

Did a TCL course last week… they advise old toothpaste tubes, cut open….brilliant idea!…can't believe it's the first time I've seen it in 20yrs biking

kevin1911

I managed to improvise with a bit of plastic last night, but was thinking about something more permanent/sticky…

alexpalacefan

I think the toothpaste tube thing only works with a tube in there. As I recall the method is to sew with dental floss and then patch internally with rubber cement and a piece of old tube.

APF

RustySpanner

Used a section of the tube that blew out when the tyre split last week.

Have successfully used the trimmed down plastic lid from a puncture repair kit, a sock, a bit of plastic bottle and an out of date bank card before now.

Each time, I swear I'll put something in the seatpack for the next blowout, but never do.

theotherjonv

for a standard tyre (ie: tubed) – look no further than duck tape!

No experience with UST types but I'd suggest inner tube to seal against air loss, and then duck tape to stop the flimsy rubber just blowing out of the gash.

Duck tape fixes everything, as long as you have enough of it.

zangolin
    Free Member

Get you back fixes – folded up crisp packets + bank notes, work with a tube

mtb_matt
    Free Member

+1 for duck tape.

I put a patch on the inside if the tyre and then used a piece of duck tape over the top. Still going strong after several weeks.

Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What Tyre Boot/Repair Kit?’ is closed to new replies.