Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What tyre – 2.35 supertacky HR or Minion, but UST…?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

So I’ve been using 2.3 42A Highrollers and Minions in both tubed and UST format for ages. A couple of years ago, Maxxis stopped making the HighRoller UST in 42A compound (the current LUST is 62A). I bought a few to keep me going, but have finally run out of them.

I’ve done a couple of rides now with a 62A LUST ‘roller on the front, and I’ve had a lot of horrible front wheel slides on roots and rocks in situations that normally I’d expect to get grip.

So what else is there that’s 2.3ish sized, proper sticky rubber, UST and around the 8-900g weight? Riding is mostly Peaks, but a bit of light DH too on a 7″ travel bike.

(I’ve tried Kenda Neveragains on a couple of demo bikes and HATED them, btw..)

Cheers!

anc
    Free Member

The front minon 2.35 60a maxxpro is a cracking allround front tyre. I run a standard tyre tubeless with stans. Relatively light, strong and the grips better than anything I’ve used on lakes rock.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not to be offensive, but you’ve not actually read what I’m asking. (and if you think maxxpro grips well on Lakes rock, you’ve not tried a Supertacky 😆 )

I don’t want a maxxpro tyre, and I don’t want a non-UST. I know from practical experience that neither of them do what I want.

Sticky rubber, UST, 2.3ish, midweight. That’s the criteria.

Ta!

anc
    Free Member

No offense taken. Always thought supertacky was overkill and wore out far too fast. The minion 60a is plenty grip for most and far better than a highroller. If you stick with UST you seriously reduce your choice of tyre and pay a tenner a tyre more. Good luck on your quest :mrgreen:

grumm
    Free Member

I use Bontrager Big Earl ‘wet’ tubeless on the front in the Lakes – I’ve used 42a HRs before and while they were maybe a bit grippier on wet rock there’s not much in it IIRC.

I found 42a HRs wore quickly and were ludicrously draggy – good grip though.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Schwalbe Fat Albert may be what you are after, I had the exact same issue as you and found UST choice limiting. In the end I just went for a 2.5 ST Minion on the front.

anc
    Free Member

Current minions replaced Fat Alberts UST’s and the minion is far far better tyre. The new alberts let go without warning with the minion it is progressive.

mboy
    Free Member

Just a thought, but how about using a rimstrip and “normal” Maxxis tyres rather than UST?

In my experience, Maxxis non UST tyres seal very well when used with a bit of sealant, and using a Stans rimstrip on the rim (I’m assuming you’re using UST rims here too) will help pack the rim out a bit to make a better seal with the tyre.

I’ve given up buying pure UST tyres now, as often there’s nothing out there to fit my criteria. But I’ve also found that normal Maxxis tyres, can be run very reliably in a tubeless setup.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Where as my experience is exactly the opposite – far, far too easy to pinch flat any single ply, non-ust tyre. They’re also not stiff-enough walled, so you have to run them at too high a pressure to stop them squirming.

Never had an isue with premature wear on STs. Usually get 9months+ out of one. I actually get through 60A rears much faster. (and I’m not a skidder)

djflexure

Conti RQ 2.4 UST – black chilli? Have run one up front through the summer with 2.2 rear. Its been so dry I would be hard pushed to recommend in wet. Time will tell. No complaints so far. Quite a large volume tyre – good on rocks.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think there’s a bit of a gap in the market here. I asked a similar question a while ago and answers were similar.

Ended up going for a 2.4 RQ, which is good on wet rock as the man above says. But it is a LOT bigger than a 2.35in Maxxis.

Then I luckily bought a secondhand bike with two UST super tacky HRs on, which I am keeping under lock and key.

TimB
    Free Member

Hey Jon. I’ve been running a 2.2 Rubber Queens (UST but not with the Chilli as that’s only available on the 2.4) on the Soul all year and have found it good in the dry – lots of grip, even when cranked over hard. Not had as much experience of pushing hard in the wet, but mostly it seems reasonable (running maybe 25psi at most).

2.2 is definitely fat – See here for a pic of how fat

Ripped a slash through the rear one at Mach, but was probably running it a bit low.

anc
    Free Member

What your looking for don’t exist fella. Stiff sidewalled super gripppy light UST tyre its the Holygrail of mountain biking. Rubber queens are too heavy and large in the 2.4 size and the 2.2 isn’t black chilli, Fat alberts roll well but let go sharply on certain surfaces not impressed with the new ones at all, the old 2.35 was better. You can’t get hold of wildrock’r tubeless yet. Highroller you don’t like. Your choice is very limited in UST. You can get at standard minion with the exo toughened sidewalls if you don’t like the standard ones, but your gonna need to use stans or similar.

mboy
    Free Member

Where as my experience is exactly the opposite – far, far too easy to pinch flat any single ply, non-ust tyre. They’re also not stiff-enough walled, so you have to run them at too high a pressure to stop them squirming.

Fair enough

Try one of these then…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35683

I had a pair of the non tubeless version that came on a bike, can only say I was mighty impressed. The only thing I didn’t like about them was that they weren’t UST (and Hutchinson non UST tyres will not ever work in a tubeless setup!)… Oh, and the price, but like I say mine came on a bike… The only reason I didn’t go straight out and buy a pair of the UST version to replace them was that I saw that price tag!

Still, seeing as you’re being so very picky, might be worth a try… Or bung a Maxxis dual ply on and live with the extra weight!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What tyre – 2.35 supertacky HR or Minion, but UST…?’ is closed to new replies.