Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What Tyre???
  • c4bos
    Free Member

I am going to Langdegla & north wales in a week or two any what tyres I should fit on my Norco SE2 for the weekend?

bedfordrd

I run Mavic Crossmax Charge front (2.4, 40a compound – very, very grippy), with PaceStar Hans Dampf 2.35 SnakeSkin rear – suits my style of riding, and loads of grip in all conditions. Skills are at mid-pack amateur UK Enduro… Norco Range Killer-B3 (now pimped up a bit…)

For all my riding I find this a good combination, although many of my mates swear by High-Roller II.

Was also happy with a TrailStar HD on the front, until it got muddy – doesn’t like slop, and doesn’t clear well, but very grippy in dry->dampish conditions.

Check frame/fork clearance though, both the Charge and HDs come up big!

HTH 🙂 But as you’ve asked a tyre question – expect about a gazillion replies, all different!! 😀

nedrapier

Personally, I’d go with the ones that were on the bike that I wanted to ride. Certainly wouldn’t bother changing for one ride, unless I was doing some sort of “100 miles of Llangdela” epic and I needed all the help I could get.

What’s on the Norco now?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dales_rider
    Free Member

A black one

coogan
    Free Member

And round.

ratherbeintobago

A black one

Not skinwall, then?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Two

cfinnimore
    Free Member

2.5 60a DHF. One at front.

2.35 60a High Roller. One at back.

Look at this thread every time you ask that question, fit those tyres.

Maybe play around with PSI a bit.

oli575
    Free Member

@bedfordrd

How would you compare the Charge to the HD trail star in terms if dry loose trail cornering and general non muddy descending.

Northwind

cfinnimore has wisdom, they even grip on tramlines. Won’t often be the best option but will never be terribly wrong, unless you want to ride a long way.

What’s on it now? That’s probably fine.

bedfordrd

@oli575 The Charge has wider spaced knobs, which seem softer than the HD closely-packed knobs, so it feels to me as if there’s just a little more squirm, not in a bad way, but in a ‘I can feel it gripping’ kind of way (sorry, probably makes no sense whatsoever!)

But in the dry, TBH, there’s very little between them. I prefer the ‘feel’ of the Charge, it just feels a tad more compliant. And I love the dull ‘thud-thud’ sound it makes across hard-pack.

It’s already chewing the knobs though, something I never had an issue with on the HD – I guess you’re paying for the grip, so you may as well use it!

Sorry – probably no help whatsoever.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What Tyre???’ is closed to new replies.