Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What type of cable is this?
  • tails
    Free Member

It plugs into the side of a charging station, then into my clippers. I thought it was a figure of eight but I’m not sure.

photo of cable

I want to charge the clippers without using the charging station as its big and bulky.

Photo of charging dock

Does anyone think I can chop the end of the cable off and fit a plug?

Thanks

singlespeedstu

Looks like the same plug thats on our Karcher window vac.
    No idea what it’s called.

benji
    Free Member

Have you checked the voltages?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tails
    Free Member

No I haven’t.

Is the charging dock reducing the power?

benji
    Free Member

No idea, but you might want to check that out first before just plugging something in to the mains.

tails
    Free Member

on the base of the dock it says

input 220v-240v – 50Hz
    output 5.0v – 2000mA

tails
    Free Member

yeah, it had crossed my mind. Maybe they’ll know at maplin

Cougar

It looks a bit like a C1 / C2 connector, but they don’t have that polarising cut-out. Off the top of my head I don’t think that’s any sort of standard.

What’s the socket on the clippers look like?

joshvegas
    Free Member

It looks like there is nothing in the connectior between dock and clippers to hold them together while charging.

If you remove the dock (which from the sounds of it contains a transformer)from the equation how will you keep it all together to charge?

tails
    Free Member

The socket on the base of the clippers has two pins that fit the cable. When it’s in the dock it just sits on two pieces of metal that touch the pins.

If the charging dock is transforming the power I’ll need to rethink my plan.

shermer75
    Free Member

tails – Member
    on the base of the dock it says
    input 220v-240v – 50Hz
    output 5.0v – 2000mA

5v output is fairly common (iPhone, kindle, things like that) but 2 amps is higher than most (my kindle adapter is rated at 0.85 amps) so, as above, maybe try maplins…

charliew

But is the base just an AC/DC converter, or does it have a proper charging circuit inside? Just floating a battery on a 5v charger without a charging circuit before hand could be interesting. I’d try to take it apart to find out first.

I guess the labelling would suggest it is just an AC/DC converter. But if you can confirm it’s just a converter then I’d buy something like this and chop the end of the cable off. Then I’d chop the other cable off and solder the two together and individually heatshrink the joints before sealing the whole lot up with some glue lined heatshrink.

Make sure you check the polarity of that plug end before connecting it up. And be particularly careful around water with the cable.

tails
    Free Member

This is the inside of the charger.

The actual plug attached to the charging dock is an american style plug, which has a UK style plug fitted around it.

Cougar

Looks like a transformer.

charliew

Yeah I agree with cougar.

Also I got mixed up with what you wanted to change. The adapter I posted will work but you might have to hack at the bottom of the charger to get the connector that actual plugs into the clippers. Unless I’ve misunderstood you again?

goldfish24

The internal pic certainly shows a transformer or similar, but it’s part of a larger circuit that’s either a 5v power supply as hinted by the label, or a full charging controller circuit. No way of telling easily. I hate to pull out the cliched electricians phrase, but if you don’t understand what that piece of mains powered equipment is (or indeed the huge energy storage device you’re trying to charge), then please put the cover back on and leave well alone.

tthew

Sounds like there’s way too much risk of you burning down your house. Just use the charger dock and be done with it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What type of cable is this?’ is closed to new replies.