Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What type of bike do i want?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

I want a bike for exercise, a bike i’ll ride from my front door. It’ll be for days where i dont want to sling the bike in the car, it’ll be for the grottier weather too.

I have the 6″ full sus that gets used when the riding warrants it (uplifts/big hills/DH etc), but feels like a big waste where i currently live if i ride from the front door. Had peak district on the door step before, now living in guildford, i have all the army land (pirbright/mytchett/deepcut) to ride in, the hills are obviously a lot smaller and the ground is a lot smoother. I hate carrying around all that suspension doing nothing, also pointlessly clocking up miles on it in foul weather seems like a massive waste.

Do i want?

.Road bike
    .Cross bike
    .Rigid ss 29er
    .29er hardtail
    .Hardcore hardtail

oxym0r0n

somafunk

You want a Kinesis Tripster, i love mine as i can ride anywhere on it.

If i had to choose one bike to keep I’d get rid of all my 4 other bikes and keep this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thepodge
    Free Member

I have a road bike and a short travel SS for days like that

Toasty

Loving that Tripster. I’d been looking for something versatile to replace an old knackered Tricross frame actually, it looks like a similar train of thought behind it.

loddrik
    Free Member

I just built this up today, this is my new commuter/ht, am sticking with 26″, not interested in fashion and they work great for me.

bigblackshed

The word you are searching for is “need”.

The bike I “need” is the one that isn’t in The Shed.

cookeaa

Rigid SS if you want simplicity with minimal maintenance and will mostly be offroad.

Cross bike with spare set of slicks if you think you’ll be doing a mixture of road and off road riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do you know if you like 29ers?

If not, I’d get a long-travel HT for the riding round there. You’re close to the Surrey Hills after all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A red one. Definitely a red one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hardtail (steel) 120 forks, 26 wheel to match the FS so you can share stuff between bikes.

I too live in Guildford and ride my BFe from the front door, tons of good fun riding to be had that way and some excellent cheeky singletrack very close to the town. My FS is used for “bigger stuff” although to be honest even when I go to the Surrey Hills I tend to ride the BFe.

garage-dweller

A papier mache, 28.65r, single speed, belt driven, drum braked, drop handlebar bike. Trust me ask the big bike companies are developing these ready for the dip in sales when 650b has run its course.

Oh and it should be dayglo orange with lime graphics.

toby1

N + 1 as ever. But yeah, go for something cyclocross/touring and you’ll get plenty of use out of it.

rOcKeTdOg

a bike i’ll ride from my front door

what bike can’t you ride from your door?

samuri
    Free Member

Either a cross bike which would be my recommendation, or a rigid hardtail.

If I could only have one bike it’d be a cross bike for sure. Fast, adaptable, it’s got them geary things and it makes you mucho man. No other bike can do so much for you.

tsd
    Free Member

Do i want?

.Road bike
    .Cross bike
    .Rigid ss 29er
    .29er hardtail
    .Hardcore hardtail

All of the above 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

Easy….

It’s time for a Christmas goblin in your life….

saxabar
    Free Member

If I recollect from other threads you’re a tidy rider. “Hardcore hardtail” is the way to go I reckon – up to 140mm. The real question is whether to join the 650b bandwagon or pick up a 26er cheap from the classifieds?

Edit: possibly leaving a few quid for a cheap road bike 😉

Bregante

Rigid SS 29er?

I happen to know of a very reasonably priced size large in the classifieds

Autumn2012 017 by redmancunian69, on Flickr

ampthill

I’d say a lightish hard tail. Unless you need really good road performance. I wouldn’t follow the current trend for rigid forks off road. I did that for years and to be hones rigid forks ruined many a good ride. A good suspension fork doesn’t add much weight or complexity and makes alot of things a lot nicer. Even on the road they don’t slow you down much

deanfbm
    Free Member

I think stanton slack line (100mm forks) is the right choice for me. Mtbing is just off road bmx for me.

I like the idea of owning a bike that actually fits me when im in the saddle and is comfortavle to pedal for hours on end, but un reality, i dont think ill ever be that rider.

Loved having a charge blender before, however didnt appreciate the weight or the seated position.

Is the stanton slackline better that a charge blender in these respects.

Btw, i do really like 29ers as a bike to clock up miles on, not 100% sure if thats me though. I am eyeing up a kona kahuna at the mo though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What type of bike do i want?’ is closed to new replies.