Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • What type of althete/sportsperson is the "fittest"?
  • DanW
    Free Member

Not getting all the crossfit love TBH. An outlet for gym monkeys to willy wave wouldn’t be the top of my list for the OP’s question.

I think you have to define the question some more. Is “fittest” ability to be competitive at the highest levels in multiple sports, in multiple sports requiring very different attributes?

For me I’d define it as best survivability if the apocalyse came? 🙂 I.e. genuinely useful, rounded “fitness”, rather than being too specific or requiring certain technical sporting ability. I think the special forces type person would be top of my list if there is a sport consisting of this type of nutter superhuman. Extremely well rounded physically, extreme endurance, extreme discipline, mental toughness, decision making under extreme pressure. They may not have the technical sporting ability for a lot of events/ sports but I’m sure they’d do just fine in the scenario I’d use to find the “fittest”. I guess this is the wilderness/ ultra endurance/ exploring type “sports”men and women then for me

crikey
    Free Member

I think the average squaddie at the end of basic training would wipe the floor with most of the examples. He can carry more, faster and further while drinking them under the table, surviving on 24 hr ration packs, sleeping in a damp bag, getting woken every few hours to stag on, or bug out, getting choice abuse from section commanders, and he will still be better turned out than any of them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think the average squaddie at the end of basic training would wipe the floor with most of the examples. He can carry more, faster and further while drinking them under the table, surviving on 24 hr ration packs, sleeping in a damp bag, getting woken every few hours to stag on, or bug out, getting choice abuse from section commanders, and he will still be better turned out than any of them.

& all on crap pay as well!

aracer
    Free Member

Well if we’re going there, then I’d suggest those at the top of Adventure Racing are the very best – getting woken every few hours suggests you’re getting a few hours sleep, whilst I’ve done up to 5 day races getting at most an hour’s sleep a day. TBH I’d put my money on the top guys against an average squaddie at pretty much anything (except maybe the drinking) – not only are they capable of surviving lack of sleep and long distances (and yes they’d be very good at surviving after an apocalypse) they also have the technical sporting ability in multiple different sports. Nathan Fa’avae is one who springs to mind (apologies for not naming anybody I know better who’ve also won World Championships, but Nathan’s resume is a bit more impressive) who was good enough to be selected for the Olympics in a single sport.

teasel
    Free Member

they’d be very good at surviving after an apocalypse

That reminds me of one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Just recently, while discussing zombies and the like with a friend he blurted out that should that day ever become a reality, he would be straight round to mine with his wife and kids because I’d know how to deal with it.

It was a bit of a dusty moment, I can tell you…

samunkim
    Free Member

Ironman surely

Linky

hammyuk
    Free Member

crikey – Member

POSTED 6 DAYS AGO #

You are kidding right?
    Considering the PT’s can’t fail anyone on a BFT or CFT now…
    Can’t hammer them….
    Can’t beast them…
    Add to the matter that recruits can show a yellow or red card to the PT!

Utter pisch…..

mmannerr

Some thoughts:
    – Biathletes actually are not that competetive in XC skiing events, some exceptions exist.
    – XC skiers have had higher VO2 Max values than cyclists but I recall that rowers have had massive VO2 numbers too and their body type is fairly different to XC skiers.
    – Nordic combined athletes (ski jump + XC skiing) have quite a difficult sport in terms of requirements as they need extreme speed in the jump part and endurance in the skiing part.
    – crossfit might be good training but I don’t get that they compete in what other sports use as training, especially with their attitude.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘What type of althete/sportsperson is the "fittest"?’ is closed to new replies.