Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what tv/hi-fi system?
  • sadexpunk

looking at getting something a bit more ‘all-in-one’ than what we’ve got at the mo, to free up a bit more space and also tidy up ‘spaghetti junction’ behind the tv.

at present we got old 32″ CRT tv, hard disk dvd recorder and virgin box. and separate tuner, amp and cd player. these are played through some big old mordaunt-short floor speakers. all good quality stuff, but a bit too big for what we want or need right now.

is there anything thatll tidy all that up in one neat package? telly with dvd recorder? music system with ipod dock or something, thatll play ipod videos through telly, telly sound out of the speakers, that sort of thing?
    plop a cd in, it rips to mp3 and then onto ipod? maybe plug a laptop into it somewhere and it plays stuff through telly too? or is that pushing it?

whats out there peeps?

ta

5lab

i just bought a yamaha 667 amp that does the ipod side of that, none of the rest though. Why not upgrade the virgin package to v+ and negate the need for a dvd recorder?

sadexpunk

thatd be one less unit to power, thats true, but wont i be paying for that every month? whereas a recorder is bought and paid for and costs nowt after that?

Torminalis
    Free Member

you need:

An all in one htpc that will handle video, music, internet, ipoods etc
    One large hdtv to watch it all on.
    One amp
    One pair of speakers.
    Wireless keyboard or better one of these…

Some wires.

Easy, unobtrusive and as high spec as you want.

5lab

if you have the ‘large’ virgin package, v+ is free. I think it’s a fiver a month if you don’t.

sadexpunk

yeah? ive got large, so will look into that ta.

torminalis, id never heard of them, so having a google now.

ta

sadexpunk

still looking, and just a quick question as i surf the net……

whats the difference between an AV receiver and an amp?

or are they the same thing?

bellerophon
    Free Member

An AV receiver is a term usually used for AMPs that will decode surround sound formats, and will also take multiple video (also multiple audio) inputs and route\switch them to your telly.

sadexpunk

hmmm too technical for my ‘tech-ignorant’ brain to comprehend im afraid. ho hum, i wish i knew a bit more about audio/video :-/

thanks tho 🙂

bellerophon – Member
    An AV receiver is a term usually used for AMPs that will decode surround sound formats, and will also take multiple video (also multiple audio) inputs and route\switch them to your telly.

No it isn’t – a receiver usually has a radio, whereas an amp doesn’t – other than that they (AV Amps/Receivers) generally do the same job – i.e. play Dolby/DTS 5.1 – some will now decode HD codecs for DTS Master HD, or Dolby HD. Some units will also output 6.1 & 7.1

bellerophon
    Free Member

No it isn’t – a receiver usually has a radio, whereas an amp doesn’t

Argh, I was forgetting about the radio bit 😳

sadexpunk

if you have the ‘large’ virgin package, v+ is free. I think it’s a fiver a month if you don’t.

just rang em, as we got a new HD telly on its way. asked about v+ but we got to pay £80ish for installation. so have to wait until theres an offer on i reckon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what tv/hi-fi system?’ is closed to new replies.