Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What turbo trainer?
  • tomwoodbury

Finally caved in and admitting I need a turbo to stay fit. Work / family making serious riding almost impossible. I quite fancy getting into this Zwift thing as a fair few people on here recommended it to me.

So… what is the best bang for back turbo trainer, for use with zwift and a carbon Scott road bike.

Cheers.

weeksy

My Kickr snap I really like. Very effective for the price.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Budget?

In order of cost, the obvious choices are likely…

Vortex
    Snap
    Flux
    Neo

I’d spend the extra 100 quid on the Flux over the snap. I can’t see the point of spending more than Flux money on anythig other than a Neo.

simondbarnes

My Elite Qubo Digital smart B+ FE-C works well. Have also used an Elite Rampa which is a bit nicer as there is more flywheel effect but didn’t have enough money to spend the extra.
    I quite fancy trying / getting the new Elite Directo when it comes out.

tomwoodbury

Cheers guys. Ideally under £250. Not sure if there’s a tipping point where the feel of the thing gets significantly better, but if it means I’m likely to use it more I can spend a bit more.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you want something that gives a half decent feel and simulates terrain in Zwift then you’re looking at 500+ quid.

Kuco

Weeksy have you had any issues with the Kicker Snap? as I’m looking at getting one of these for the winter.

tomwoodbury

Any thoughts on Elite Muin 2? Half price on wiggle atm

simondbarnes

Any thoughts on Elite Muin 2? Half price on wiggle atm

Personally I’d get something with FE-C so that Zwift / Trainer Road etc can control the resistance.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have the Qubo too – Decathlon miles cheaper than anyone else with free home delivery.

njee20
    Free Member

Vortex is decent enough, still slightly over budget though.

weeksy

Weeksy have you had any issues with the Kicker Snap? as I’m looking at getting one of these for the winter

I had one ride bomb out when on Zwift, power reporting 0. But that’s 1 out of 150+ rides. Other than that, no issues at all.

Poopscoop

Bookmarking

gray

I might be in the market for a new one in a few months. Currently have a Vortex. Will probably be choosing between Flux, Direto, Kickr, Drivo or Neo.

A friend has a Flux, and likes it. I like the claimed higher accuracy of the Direto. I saw an interview with a technical guy at Wahoo which made me feel positive about the Kickr. Not heard anything bad about the Drivo, but it’s not cheap. I like the idea of the Neo, but am slightly put off by Tacx customer support, and mrblobby’s previous mention that it didn’t feel great in Erg mode. I think I’ll worry about it more in a few months though, unless a great deal pops up in the mean time.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Re erg mode, not a complaint about the Neo, more a dislike of erg mode in general. Really like my Neo 🙂

blader1611
    Free Member

With that budget i reckon your only choice is a tacx flow TT2240 i think the model is, its does bluetooth if you wish to use zwift via ipad and it does ant+ for laptops/pc. They were £199 at the start of this year but now seem to be £270 (halfords, Decathlon sell them but they have been out of stock for ages). This trainer can be controlled via zwift etc so you will get the full experience.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

£220 in a promo currently, use “click & collect” to go and pick up unit in-store and use British Cycling discount to bring price down to £198.

Can anyone here comment on whether I could fit my Wazoo in a T2240, being a 170mm rear hub (so ~200mm q/r skewer iirc)?

To use with my Fatnotfat 29er wheelset and suitable turbo tyre, not killing a “sell a kidney” Jumbo Jim. 😉

tomwoodbury

I just ordered an Elite Rampa, probably would have ordered something that I’d get annoyed with due to the lack of FE-C if it wasn’t for the helpful advice. Thanks s lot.

blader1611
    Free Member

Goat – i dont think it will, i use standard size qr for my road bike and i would say you only get about 1.5 inches of adjustment on that.

blader1611
    Free Member

Tomwoodbury – surely the elite wasnt within your budget, they are normally about £350?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cheers for info, blader.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.