Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What tubular cross tyres do you run?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve only ever ran grifo’s (done 2 seasons now) and the grip can be interesting when it gets really wet. I noticed even on drier courses racers were running a mud tub up front (limus )

So what tubular tyres do people run for cross and have you got a 2nd set or 2nd front wheel for muddy conditions?

Was looking at the clement pdx or the FMB supermud

Clobber
    Free Member

Have you looked at dugast?

trickydisco
    Free Member

not really no. I’ve seen some guys run the rhino but don’t you have to faff about aquasealing them?

Have you used dugast?

simondbarnes

Spesh Terra here

aP
    Free Member

Tufo Cubus Flexus mostly, but had some interesting rolling issues recently.
    For some reason herself bought me some Dugast Rhino, which I need to glue on (once I’ve removed the awful Tufo Extreme tub tape).

eddie11
    Free Member

Tufo cubus flexus seem popular even on dryish courses. I’m still a pauper on clinchers tho, I rate clement clinchers but the tubulars are ££££s

trickydisco
    Free Member

reading reviews it seems the clement pd are rated very highly. They are made by tufo and aren’t like other tubulars as it’s a tubeless tubular 😯

here is no innertube, instead the entire casing is airtight. This creates a very light-weight tire, but more importantly it is very resistant to punctures. The tire accepts sealant liquid easily, and typical punctures can be quickly sealed from the inside.

Crossjunkie really rates the fmb supermud

LS
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs, FMB SSC Sprints, FMB SSCs, FMB Supermud when it’s filthy.
    Stopped using Dugast a couple of years ago as they’re so shonkily put together, FMBs are far superior.

Haven’t tried ‘new’ Clements yet but the above four cover me for all conditions, in fact the Ralphs make the SSC sprints obsolete really.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Only have Grifo XS (34mm) and Grifo (32) to speak for. Struggling to feel confident with the grip on the Grifo from the front, guess I should try dropping pressure there. Interesting to read other comments.

dobo
    Free Member

I know this about tubulars but if i were buying a cross clincher for mud it would probably be a clement pdx and probably a mxp for everything else, id have a go at running it tubeless too.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Struggling to feel confident with the grip on the Grifo from the front, guess I should try dropping pressure there

i find the same. Been using grifos on mine and find the grip a bit rubbish

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Ran Tufo Cubus Flexus front and rear last year and liked them, although the sidewalls are not that flexible, however they are excellent in the mud!

This year I’ve got a file tread Vittoria XN on the front and kept the Cubus on the rear, so far this has been excellent. The Vittoria has really soft sidewalls that you can feel giving/increasing the contact patch as you corner. link to wiggle

Have tried Dugast, a lot of extra hassle with the aquaseal and they wear out super quick, for racing only!

Would very much like to try FMB’s next.

weeble
    Free Member

Rocket Ron’s, love em

plop_pants
    Free Member

I was using Griffos at a very wet Happy Valley London League last weekend. I had to run them at just below 20psi to get the grip in the corners. Didn’t bottom out at all, I’m about 68kgs.

crispycross
    Free Member

For utter filth, there doesn’t seem to be much between FMB supermuds (V. nice but flippin expensive at £80!) Dugast Rhinos (yes, you need to seal them, big deal, but they do grip well and if you look after them, the tread gets pretty worn before the carcass rots. You can pick them up for less than £60 now.) and Challenge Limus (same price, maybe a bit less flexible but not much in it.) Last weekend, the front-runners at Abergavenny were on a mixture of these. Needless to say, the good riders also have the skill to handle them at speed with silly pressures.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone know where to get the fmb supermuds?

nikxl
    Free Member

Yes, mate of mine imports the FMB cross tubs. email me nikxl at hotmail dot co.uk and I’ll put you in touch.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ah cheers.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Challenge Limus
    I can’t afford more than one set of Tubs set up, so I Figured you get about 1 out of 10 races where it is dry and the rest are a mud fest so I’ll take the rolling resistance in that one race.

So far we have had two of the driest dustiest CX races I have ever experienced!!

But this weekend is going to be pure filth 🙂

kirk92
    Free Member

slightly off topic but specialized tubs are currently very good value at sigma sport (cheaper than the similar clinchers!), great service I received my tracers today ordered Tuesday afternoon.
    Sorry tried but failed to post a link, anyway google sigma sport and use their search to find the tubs.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Got a clement pdx clincher as an interim measure as the american forums are racing about this tyre

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What tubular cross tyres do you run?’ is closed to new replies.