Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What tubeless xc wheelset? (Mtb bling worse than tri)
  • rooney
    Free Member

I’m new to looking at Mtb bling and kit!

I currently have a set of Mavic 717 on dt Swiss 240 hubs. They were on my bike when purchases. These are still great but I’m interested in going tubeless for tri racing.

Not looking to spend loads , what options have I got for £200-£300 max. Cheaper would be better 🙂

Stevo210
    Free Member

Well I’d be looking at keeping the 240 hubs as they are both expensive and quality, get some ztr rims, something like a Crest and some lightweight spokes, maybe revs or D-lights.

rooney
    Free Member

Is it worth and can I turn these wheels into tubeless with a kit?

richen987
    Free Member

!Aa Steve said 240’s are great hubs, get them serviced and rebuilt with some good quality
    Spokes and tubeless rims, will cost less than 300 and you will have a better set of wheels.
    Or just get a stans or Joes tubeless kit for around 30 quid

Sandwich

Also look at the new DT Swiss 420 rim, or whatever replaced the 4.2 one. This will also go tubeless with their kit.

br
    Free Member

Also look at the new DT Swiss 420 rim, or whatever replaced the 4.2 one. This will also go tubeless with their kit.

Not a good idea as you’ve a heavy rim and still need Stans rimtape (and its weight). Rebuild the 240’s with Crests and then you’ll only need yellow tape.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Give Jon at justridingalong.com a ring about your options of wheel builds. They are expert wheel builders, who make the whole process easy from start to finish and are more than happy to give un-biased and honest advice and talk through your options 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Definitely keep the DT hubs

Definitely get them rebuilt onto some nice, lightweight tubeless ready rims like Stans Alpine, or the new BOR rims, using some DT supercomp or Revolution spokes.

You’ll be looking at about £70 per rim, and £35(ish) per wheel in spokes. But then you’ve also got the 717 rims spare to sell on, so will be a superb upgrade for around £200 built.

Not really worth just using a Stans kit on the 717’s, the rims are giving away 80g or so each to a Stans rim, then the rimstrip you need to use adds another 50-60g per rim onto the wheel weight. Your 240’s on Alpine’s with DT Rev’s would come in under 1400g tubeless ready. As they are with the 717’s, then some rimstrips, they’ll be over 1750g ready to roll (I know, I used to have this same wheelset).

If you’re anywhere near Worcester, can give you a more accurate quote for the wheel builds if you wanted one?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What tubeless xc wheelset? (Mtb bling worse than tri)’ is closed to new replies.