Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • What truly satisfies your soul?
  • niallmb
    Free Member

the blackout buzz: That moment when the show caller gives the go and I blackout the venue, the crowd goes mental and we hit the first cue.

Makes me feel incredibly privileged as its not something everyone gets to do and the feeling of creating that level of anticipation in a crowded venue is pretty special. Then we get to the de-rig and the truck pack and the feeling of special fast disappears!

spacemonkey

That made me feel good just reading it!

Nice one 🙂

Used to be a tennis coach and ‘worked’ a lot with kids (9-16yrs). Also set up 4 district leagues and 2 tournaments with a friend (and fellow coach) – despite local LTA rep being against the idea. Held end-of-year awards presentation ‘do’ each Sep. At the end of our first ‘do’, one parent stood up and thanked us both for all out efforts – then everyone stood up and applauded. Was quite an emotional moment.

jhw
    Free Member

2 more:

(1) posting 21 job applications from the postbox outside my office at midnight on a Sunday night having worked the last 3 weeks in a row with no day off

(2) getting pictures back from the developer’s and finding 35 came out badly but 1 came out bitching 🙂

FeeFoo
    Free Member

The time lying in bed before I drift off to sleep.
    It’s the time I notice being alive.

Sounds pretentious written down, but it’s genuinely felt. 😳

downshep

A bloody good fart.

jam-bo

Today? Seeing my boy breathe unaided for the first time in his life.

donsimon
    Free Member

Today? Seeing my boy breathe unaided for the first time in his life.

Wow! That is something to celebrate.
    Happy Christmas.

buttercup
    Free Member

Jambo! That is one of the best things to see. Good to hear he is coming around!

ourmaninthenorth

oday? Seeing my boy breathe unaided for the first time in his life.

Jam bo – that’s wonderful to read. Happy Christmas to all of you. Stick in there.

For me – the momentary breadth of the silence atop a hill or cliff when I just stop and let it all come to me.

freeagent
    Free Member

Realising my wife and daughter were both going to pull through after they both came so close to dying on the operating table last year was undescribable… (crappy labour, went really wrong, emergency C-section, resus, you get the idea)

Doing stuff with my kids for the first time is cool.. the look of joy and surprise on their faces on their first trip to the zoo, or paddle in the sea is awesome…
    Reading with my eldest (4 years old) daughter is good at the moment, as are days like mothers day/fathers day/Christmas…

There are a few sh*tty things in my life at the moment, so the good stuff is important..

DaveRambo

+1 with freeagent.
    My wife also had an emergency c-section. I was told it would take 10 minutes but after being left on my own in the delivery room for 40 minutes was convinced that one or both had died. When a nurse walked in with a small baby in blankets…

I also get a huge amount of joy being with my daughter and now that she’s 11 when she winds me up in the ways that I’ve been winding her up for years. She can also throw a ball properly so I feel my job as a father is almost done.

Bimbler
    Free Member

coke and whores

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Lots of the above including, Kitesurfing (I’m in the same boat, or should that be board, havent been out in a few years)Well played Telecaster a good one, plus of coarse ones dustbin lids… I never been more at peace than when spending time with them.

But I find see other people happy very satisfy, so … right here, right now this thread is very satisfing.

Cheers Gunz and Merry Xmas one and all.

Peace, Out.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

A bit of Voodoo and a good human sacrifice.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Have a great Christmas jambo…. that did it for me! 😀

scud
    Free Member

Watching my 2 year old daughter asleep, looks very peaceful and like she does not have a concern in the world.

Seeing her exhileration and giggles when she got on her balance bike for the first time and every time she goes down a slide.

Finally getting to a point with my fitness where I can keep up with a few of my mates that have beasted me time and time again, and where I can actually experience this “flow” that others have talked about, rather than just feeling like I am about to turn blue.

willard

I feel really at peace and calm when I’m out on the range. There’s nothing like trying to put lead onto a target 1000m away to tally focus your mind and your body. Everything else just melts away and your world becomes the crosshairs.

On a slightly more normal note, sitting on the sofa with my wife next to me and the dogs by my feet takes a lot of beating. Or that look I get from my Springer when he _knows_ that it’s time for a walk, and I have a tennis ball in my pocket. That’s priceless.

I’ve not got kids yet. Can you tell?

teasel
    Free Member

Properly good deeds performed under the guise of selflessness and a wide and genuine smile. Doesn’t have to be anyone I know; the acts are what make me all warm inside…

surfer
    Free Member

This

yunki
    Free Member

the midweek mini movies mostly..

finbar
    Free Member

What surfer said ^ . Only i’d go for road racing – racing on the fells often makes me a bit stressed about navigation.

oddjob
    Free Member

Finishing things that take a lot of work, could be restoration work on the house, ironman tri, Marmotte, work project – anything that you know you set out to achieve, worked hard to achieve and got there in the end. Doesn’t matter if you’re first or last or if it’s perfect, it’s the joy of completing something and knowing that you don’t need to concern yourself with it anymore

(I passed some exams yesterday which gave me that similar feeling :-))

surfer
    Free Member

Finbar is it you doing the 5 miler on Boxing day looking to break 30 mins??

D0NK

Top of a climb, lying on the grass with warm sun on you, waiting for your mates to catch up, chewing haribo, a freaking awesome descent just around the corner and cake waiting for you at the bottom.

Stuff with the kids are starting to take over now but that ^ feeling will be with me for a while yet.

finbar
    Free Member

Finbar is it you doing the 5 miler on Boxing day looking to break 30 mins??

New Years day actually, if i can drag myself out of bed 😀 .

http://www.runningwithdavid.com/sections/events/run_derbys/new_years_day.html

I did a 35m47s 10km a couple of weeks ago so in theory i should be comfortably under 30min, but it’s a bugger of a hilly course.

Are you doing any races over the holidays Surfer?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP

Laughing so hard I can’t breath

Listening to a skylark twittering overhead on a perfect English summers day.

Doing something when I know that there’s no rush, no deadline, no problem. This can be cycling and not having to be anywhere at any particular time, enjoying company, or just pottering about in the garage taking something to bits.

Finding something I’ve been looking for. I don’t mean “where’s my glasses?” I mean the feeling I got on my honeymoon where we walked up a big hill to a quiet village in Sicily, then sat in the square overlooking the sea with a cool beer. That’s what I was looking for that week, something typically Italian. I’ve had this feeling before, and it can be odd things (But always simple things) that set it off for me, but it’s just a peace and happiness that I can almost feel bursting out inside me on a calm quiet day… Hard to describe though

“listen to the gentle humming of your soul”

This is where we had that cool beer

IMG_0356 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

This is the view from those tables

IMG_0354 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Not big or grand or posh. Just……. right

surfer
    Free Member

Finbar that 10k time puts you well inside 30 mins for 5 maybe even inside 29.

I can recomend the Alsager 5 its not a very fast course but flat and popular and you will almost certainly get carried along to a PB.
    I’m mainly just training at the moment but maybe pick something new years day like you or soon after.

Good luck

finbar
    Free Member

Ta Surfer, fingers crossed.

noteeth
    Free Member

Books, bikes, beer.

philconsequence
    Free Member

other peoples happiness
    making the people i love smile

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘What truly satisfies your soul?’ is closed to new replies.