Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • What trailsy ti 29er HT?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Something a little lower, slacker at the front and shorter at the back than a Lynskey XC style frame.

* Kinesis Maxlight Sync
    * the On One one (I forget what it’s called but there is a huge thread on it here) ah yes Fireline
    * Kona Raijin if you can get one

what else?

Candodavid
    Free Member
    mattjg
    Free Member

ooh didn’t know about those thx

singlecrack
    Free Member

Canfield Nimble 9 Ti

roverpig

Oops, didn’t spot the Ti bit.

mattjg
    Free Member

didn’t know about the N9 either

so these things are common as muck …

hummerlicious
    Free Member
    oldfart

I’ve got a Raijin thank you please ! 🙄

mattjg
    Free Member

You’re too old and farty to deserve a Raijin.

the_lecht_rocks

Fireline FTW…

Cheezpleez

Ruddy Nora! How much is a QH Ti?

Actually, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know.

mattjg
    Free Member

1600 euros (about the same as the Sync)

Ha!

Cheezpleez

Bargain! Usual deal? I’ll take it off your hands for a couple of hundred when yo’re done …

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris

MadCowKev
    Free Member

Check out Travers Bikes in Facebook or google them – great custom titanium frames and parts and nice people to deal with

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m getting one of these……Travers

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Highball seems to get decent reviews. Choice of alloy or carbon.

oldfart

Cheers Matt !

Rorschach
    Free Member

Or a ti version of my Yelli with a couple of ‘tweaks’ :mrgreen:

Lionheart
    Free Member

Now that looks great!

Rorschach
    Free Member

http://drj0nswanderings.wordpress.com/
    He’s my hero y’know.

mattjg
    Free Member

Bargain! Usual deal? I’ll take it off your hands for a couple of hundred when yo’re done …

Not after you welched last time.

Cotic Solaris

Nah, ti. And anyway I had a Soul and didn’t see what was so special about it, so done the Cotic thing.

Santa Cruz Highball seems to get decent reviews. Choice of alloy or carbon.

Not ti then.

RawSack seems to be at the right tree.

rewski
    Free Member

Been out riding my Maxlight Sync all weekend, rides and looks amazing, pretty much perfect trail bike, for me anyway. The small is 650B though.

mattjg
    Free Member

Can you describe the ride? (I mean, other than ‘good’). Is it flexi, stiff, springy etc etc. Does it ride like ti, a tad soft (or at least my ti roadie is), or a bit steelish, or …? Ta.

Candodavid
    Free Member

mattjg..why ti?

mattjg
    Free Member

Because pretty ti bikes make me swoon. (Currently have a Salsa Selma SS rocketship, scandium, and a Yelli Screamy, alu). The Yelli would go if I bought a ti trail bike. Big if though!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yelli won’t crack though ………………

singlespeedstu

Every time i look at the Ti QH i have to keep reminding myself how many Ti frames i’ve cracked. 😐

Still looks f’ing nice though and it would be nice to drop a bit of weight from my steel QH.

mattjg
    Free Member

Not unhappy with the Yelli actually, it’s a great ride tho it’s just a tad harsh in the back. I’ve been on the Selma the last couple of weeks, that’s a cracker with the boingy forks on it and it’s very superior to the Yelli in ride quality really (but different handling), they’re both great bikes and a nice contrast.

I’m just doing N+1 speculation really … I was looking hard at 650b FSers but the reality is I would ride it a week a year, so backed off and looked sideways. Always fancied a nice ti HT, it’s a thought that keeps coming back. (Out damned spot!).

singlecrack
    Free Member

it’s a great ride tho it’s just a tad harsh in the back.

Remember the thudbuster on my Yelli …. 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Can you describe the ride?

The Sync is fast, its very responsive when you put your foot down, really gets up to speed quickly, and it’s very stiff at the rear, due to the short chunky chain stays and the DT Swiss bolt-thru axle. I want to say that the overall ride is smooth, but that makes it sound like any Ti 29er, it’s smooth but really aggressive when you want to chuck it about, especially for a large 29er. I also went for the direct mount XTR rear mech which makes shifting super snappy, add a dropper post and there’s your perfect do-it-all trail bike, in my opinion of course. 😉

@ mattjg – where are you based?

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx, now go away and don’t darken this door with your “about to spend my daughter’s next 5 years pocket money” opinions again.

martinh
    Free Member

Why is that only the small Sync have what I’d consider a sensible HA?

Get yourself a steel trail bike Matt, more comfy than a Yelli and bigger choice than a Ti

Happy to meet up in those Surrey Hills if you want to try one

chiefgrooveguru

Why is that only the small Sync have what I’d consider a sensible HA?

Because it has 27″ (aka 27.5/650b) not 28.5″ (aka 29) wheels like the bigger sizes.

martinh
    Free Member

Ah, ok. So none of them have a HA I’d consider on a trail bike

jambalaya
    Free Member

Seems to be a big question mark over the future of 29 – a lot of money to put into a ti frame …

mattjg
    Free Member

martin what do you ride?

Seems to be a big question mark over the future of 29

nahhhh, doesn’t concern me.

martinh
    Free Member

I currently ride a Ti Jones and a Chromag Surface. I find the Surface a smoother ride than the Jones

mattjg
    Free Member

Very nice those Chromags, to be fair that’s on the list of “should trys” despite not being ti.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

As Rewski says the Sync is a really fast, responsive ride. The beefy chainstays make sure none of your effort is wasted in flex. But the seatstays aren’t such a big size, so there is an element of that Ti feel in there. I came from the FF29 aluminium version, which I loved, but found on a long day out was a bit harsh for my dodgy back. I’ve had Ti frames since ’94 and love the feel of them. If I’m honest the FF29 was only shed sitting till the Sync came out. I’m really happy with the ride of it 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What trailsy ti 29er HT?’ is closed to new replies.