Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what trail centers are weather proof?
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

I had planned a nice get away to Wales over next week but all this wet stuff is making me think otherwise.

What trail centers are fairly weather proof and worth a 4-5 hour drive from sunny Essex for a couple of days?

winstonsmith

I heard that the forestry commission is planning to build a roof over the best trails at glentress

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Scotland and whinlatter just drive faster

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Coed y brenin gets my vote.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

All the traditionally wet places are best. Wales, the lakes drain well although there’s gonna be a lot of standing water on any trail.

Matt_SS_xc

I would have said that all the welsh centres are fairly weatherproof. Wet but all the rocks make them rideable. The only places that will be wet are Fod and Cannock ( both in England obv)

rOcKeTdOg

Nant-yr-arian gets some fairly hefty puddles but its not really muddy

martinhutch

I’d say Coed y Brenin. Designed to work in the wet. I went on the day after some big floods in mid-Wales and had a cracking time.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Marin Trail

backtothetop
    Free Member

Coed y brenin is near the top my list anyway so may just head straight there then unless I stop at Coed Llandegla first, I dont want to get somewhere and find all the trails have been closed due to the weather, probably dosnt happen anyway but dont ask questions ask, dont get answers.

backtothetop
    Free Member

Bregante

Penmachno seems to be weatherproof. In so far as its always wet, whatever the weather.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Llandegla will be good, but not as ‘weatherproof’ in build as CyB or Marin.

shortcut

Coed-y-Brenin and Nant get my vote. Snowdon drains well too, and Penmachno is fine.

superfli
    Free Member

Agree with all the Welsh centres being weatherproof. I’ve hardly been on a dry day, but have always had good fun. Plenty of hard rock to drain and no or little top soil on the trails.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Anywhere with rocks. So west and northern parts of Britain basically 😉

Jeffus
    Free Member

Llandegla,Coed y brenin,The Marin Trail all fine in the wet, no deep mud ,Penmachno just miserable in the wet.

bren2709

Rode Whinlatter yesterday.
    I have never seen so many puddles on the trail. When finished all kit was covered in mud and dirty water.

Wouldn’t call that weather proof!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just because it has puddles doesn’t mean it’s not weatherproof. The.fact it’s still riding does, it’s best at its wettest

bren2709

Totally disagree the conditions would have warranted temp. Closure to avoid further damage.
    For some reason certain sections do not drain well and give a spongy effect causing rapid wear.

Just cause you can ride a trail in bad weather doesn’t make it weather proof, if that’s the case the question is pointless?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Glentress was holding up very well the other day and generally does this time of year but a bit far for you i guess 😥

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I guess it depends what you mean by weather proof; I rode around w2 at Afan in some of the worst weather I can remember and the trail was perfectly rideable. However I was totally soaked by the end and the bike took a beating; f+r pads down to the backing, killed the front wheel bearing, the grit got everywhere!

I just remember getting to the cafe at glwyncorryg (sp?) it was blowing so hard that we couldn’t stand the bikes up on the balcony outside. None of us really wanted to leave after some hot food!! Finished the loop though.

pdw
    Free Member

You went to Whinlatter and came back muddy?

grum
    Free Member

Totally disagree the conditions would have warranted temp. Closure to avoid further damage.
    For some reason certain sections do not drain well and give a spongy effect causing rapid wear.

Just cause you can ride a trail in bad weather doesn’t make it weather proof, if that’s the case the question is pointless?

You’ve changed your story slightly – your first post was complaining about puddles, and getting wet and muddy. HTFU son!

Whinlatter is fine in the wet IME.

bren2709

Just a bit more detail given and tune remains the same! 😉

HTFU, WTF?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yes CYB rides really well in the wet, ridden it loads in torrential rain.

bren2709

Thank you! X 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what trail centers are weather proof?’ is closed to new replies.