Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What tow ball mounted bike carrier for 4 bikes?
  • peterwp
    Free Member

I have a factory fit tow bar (retractable) on Mercedes E class estate but my old carrier, a Mottez didn’t fit and allow the 13 pin electrics to plug in. Mottez 4 cycle rack
    So I am looking for a robust rack that will take 4 adult cycles and stay on when I put my foot down and make progress.
    I have narrowed it down to a choice of two:
    1. Altera Atera Strada Evo
    2. Thule Thule Euro Classic Tilt
    Clearly I will be parting with a decent wedge of money so wondered if anyone has some real world experience?
    Thanks

PePPeR

You can get convertors for the 13 pin connector down to 7 pin and a converter for the hitch to make it uesable with the old style hitch.

Cost would be about £50 a lot cheaper than a new rack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ball-swan-neck-flange-converter/dp/B0077A4ZXE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001Q1PIUE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1428250215&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=13+pin+to+7+pin+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41PWdkPMiaL&ref=plSrch

Fat-boy-fat

If you are going for a new rack, I’d go for the atera Strada DL3 plus extension bar rather than an evo. Much lighter and easier to haul on and off. Works with 13 pin.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Or just get a Buzzrack Quattro, and save yourself some money while wondering why people still buy Thule?

(Recommending Buzzrack BTW.)

Tracey

Had a Thule one for seven years. Its solid, can carry four full suspension bikes without fiddling about. Our has been used weekly and on annual trips to the Alps. Still looks and functions as good as the day we bought it. Might not be as cheap as some of the others but worth every penny.

carlos
    Free Member

Have you factored in the weight of 4x bikes and the carrier? And is this comparable with the manufacturers guidelines?

Peppers option seems a good bet.

matt_outandabout

You can get convertors for the 13 pin connector down to 7 pin and a converter for the hitch to make it uesable with the old style hitch.

I have one you could have for free, if you pay postage.

They are susceptible to water ingress in my experience. It took 45 mins to swap the old 7-pin socket on my Galaxy for a 13 pin fitting – and the new socket was £2.65 from our local towing place.

natrix
    Free Member

Loving my Buzzrack Quattro…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What tow ball mounted bike carrier for 4 bikes?’ is closed to new replies.