Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What tools for replacing Hope Pro II bearings?
  • brooess
    Free Member

Front wheel is starting to feel a bit rough after a few years use – reckon the bearings need replacing. What tools do I need to do this?
    Cheers

Ewan
    Free Member

Small pointy screwdriver to get the circlip off (or circlip pliers if you’re felling posh. Something to **** the bearings out with (24mm socket?), something to put the new bearings in again (again use a socket).

The front one is very easy.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Hammer, WD40 and duck tape usually covers it

racing_ralph
    Free Member

where are you? i have the drifts your welcome to borrow (peak district)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

heat the hub and freeze the new bearings – it makes it much easier. Tie a cloth around the hub and pour boiling water over it.

I put my new bearings in by hand having done this ( well one needed a few taps) one just pushed in.

Teh correct drifts make it easier but are not essential

racing_ralph
    Free Member

TJ – not trolling. But does the freezing have an adverse effect on the grease?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can’t see why it would.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

that means nothing lol

br
    Free Member

Just buy the Hope bearing tools – they work and make the job easy.

z1ppy

did mine with a socket in 10 mintues (ok, I took my time), I say “mleh!” to your special tools!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

But does the freezing have an adverse effect on the grease

Temporary thickening would be the worst.

kevonakona
    Free Member

DRifts were cheap enough to make it worth while. Them and a block of wood with a big hole drilled in it. And hammer for the obligatory twatting.

Chase
    Free Member

Call me naive, but how do you get the first one out with a socket? I removed mine for the first time the other day and had to prise one side out with a large screwdriver – only then could I knock the other one out from the inside (which obviously you can’t do until one bearing is removed 😕 )

kevonakona
    Free Member

Band it out by hitting the axles(carefully) the spacer drives the bearing out.

Chase
    Free Member

Ah, no axels – 20mm set up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

long drift thru the center of one bearing knock the spacer to one side then drift out at an angle

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What tools for replacing Hope Pro II bearings?’ is closed to new replies.