Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What tool to remove bearings from a Bontrager Hub?
  • orena45

Needed to get the bearings in my front hub replaced before this weekend on my Bontrager Race Disc wheel – went to do it myself only to realise I didn’t have the right tool to get the bearings out. Took it to LBS for them to do the job and got right royally fleeced for it (if you’re a Derby local you can guess which LBS it was).

Anyway, I need some sort of 4 pronged tool to undo a lock ring which tightens up against the bearing on one side of the hub. Searched a few online shops but can’t find anything – closest I can find is a Hope tool for older hubs,

Anyone got a clue what tool I need? (Having said that, next time the bearings go I think I’ll be replacing the hub for a Pro II and never have to bother with servicing again!)

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s a miniature C-spanner, and should have come with the bike(but nobody knows what it’s for until they have to strip the hub, so you may not have received it), give Trek-UK a call and they may well send you one.Bearings are run of the mill 6001 if I remember correctly, but will wear quickly if not fitted correctly as the axle has no stops/spacer to prevent them being overtightened/preloaded.

orena45

Thanks for the info coatesy. Definatley never had a c-spanner when I got the bike so will drop Trek a line and see what they have 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Curious now – which LBS in Derby?

And is it the same tool on their roadie wheels, does anyone know?

coatesy
    Free Member

If no luck with Trek, give me a call 02920371321. I may have one spare in the workshop but it’ll take a while to check.

orena45

swadey – I won’t name names (as such) but they’re commonly known locally by way of a similar sounding name involving the word ‘Scam’ 😉

Thanks again coatsey – just emailed via Trek’s website so hopefully will hear back soon. If not, I’ll give you a shout!

markenduro
    Free Member

Let me know if you are struggling for the weekend, have a spare kiddy sized wheel I can throw in.

orena45

Nah you’re alright Mark, got me wheel back after (very reluctantly) paying up…didn’t fancy wheelieing Llandegla and Penmachno this weekend!

Popocatapetl

Hijack >>>Top tips gents, i was wondering what that funny little “C Spanner” was for that came with my bike. i’ve even had to take my Bontrager rythm comp wheel back to the shop i bought it from to have the bearings sorted out. They did it free last time but it needed doing again. Took me 10 mins tonight with the c Spanner.Thanks guys!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What tool to remove bearings from a Bontrager Hub?’ is closed to new replies.