Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • What tool to cut holes in 5mm steel plate?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

b1galus is hopefully find me some roofing sheets, I am going to bolt some timber to the sides, make a couple of cross joists and just nail the sheets up there.

It’s way too heavy to ‘flip’ and move around.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It worked a treat! 😀

Thanks for the design idea Stoner.

wwaswas

you need to paint some eyes and lips on that 🙂

maccruiskeen

I see Charlie Brown’s jumper

be super gentle with those thin cutting disks and you should get plenty of milage out of them

Stoner
    Free Member

nice work. did it take long?

davidrussell
    Free Member

i’m based in Stirling, just down the road. Can we organise a McMoonter open day where we come and gas about with cool stuff at your place? I can bring chainsaws 😈

mcmoonter
    Free Member

nice work. did it take long?

A couple of minutes per side. It did consume the discs though. 5mm is thick plate. I was surprised just how heavy each cut out was.

The narrow 2mm discs are too thin for my grinder centre to clamp down onto. I used a second partially worn disc to bulk it out. I used each disc until it matched the packer’s circumference. I’ll try and find a big washer instead to complete the job and use up the part worn discs.

Open day? Well, the garden will be open this summer. Watch this space, it could be special. Diamond geezer possible visit.

itstig

Often grinder disc center “nut” is flipable, when using thin discs have the raised center on the out side the flat side should clamp the disc good and tight.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ what itstig says is what mine does.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My grinder is pretty retro, probably early nineties. My pegged lock washer is flat on one side and has the stepped centre on the other. I could flip it, but I’d need the stepped centre to centralise the disc. I think a big washer under the disc will do it, its only a mm or more I need to take up the slack.

itstig

Cereal box cardboard 1 or 2 layers are ok substitutes for washers and the disc doesn’t slip

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What tool to cut holes in 5mm steel plate?’ is closed to new replies.