Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What tool for removing Avid Elixir 7's from the bar ? ie not allen key
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My new bike has come with Elixir 7’s. Rather than using normal allen keys to secure the leaver to the bar they use some stupid bolt as in the pic below.

What keys do I need to google to get the bloody things off?

Ta

Edit: Slightly better pic

Graham_Clark

That would be a torx bolt…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You don’t have a set of Torx bits…

How do you manage?

d45yth
    Free Member

Torx keys. Probably a T25 for that bolt.

smiff
    Free Member

fyi torx is “better” as less likely to round out, but, the torque on this bolt makes it pointless ..

i like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-38716-33-Piece-Security-Bit/dp/B0001K9U46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342018679&sr=8-1

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How have I managed? No other bike I have had has had the things, apart from the rotars, and I’ve never needed to take them off.

On such a normal bit of kit why the hell dont they just use an allen key bolt 😈

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another reason to avoid Avids…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

On such a normal bit of kit why the hell dont they just use an allen key bolt

fyi torx is “better” as less likely to round out

Use an allen bolt instead. If you don’t like em.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does seem a bit stupid though. So I either purchase the Torx thing, so I can replace with allen bolts, or you risk the posibility of being out on a ride and not being able to move the leaver if you need to..

Go on then recommend me some (that are cheap and work)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Shimano SLX from Rose?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Allen bolts?? what ever is in your tin of bits,

If you haven’t got one of them then I Definitely don’t know how you have lived.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Might be a visit to Screwfix on the way home

http://www.screwfix.com/p/long-arm-hex-torx-key-set-9pcs/49554#

£5.99

smiff
    Free Member

better boycott shimano then too (crank bolts etc), more and more torx is being used on bikes, better get used to it 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Sramand Avid are moving more towards Torx fastenings. Most good mulittools now how Torx bits.

Don’t get Sram XX bits, then; every bolt is like that!

specializedneeds

As above it’s a T25 Torx, which is the same size as those on disc rotors (normally). You’ll find a key to fit on most current multi tools, now that it has become ‘standard’ to find them on rotor bolts. Handy tool to have if the rotor bolts ever come loose while your out (and to adjust levers for Avid users).

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, everything on XX is torx, not really a problem, just another set of tools.

I got a half reasonable set of ball end allen keys and set of torx bits from Maplin for not very much money, not the best quality, but fine for the home mechanic.

smiff
    Free Member

beware ball end allen keys btw.. can round heads out. don’t recommend.

d45yth
    Free Member

smiff – Member

beware ball end allen keys btw.. can round heads out. don’t recommend.

The ball end of an allen key is only meant for unscrewing the bolt once it’s already loose. They’re actually very handy in hard to reach area’s.
    I laughed last week when Pinkbike reviewed a Park toolkit and commented on the spanners, saying they seem a bit cheap, being made of thin, pressed metal but they’ve always done the job of loosening bolts…idiot reviewer, he was talking about the cone spanners! 🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What tool for removing Avid Elixir 7's from the bar ? ie not allen key’ is closed to new replies.