Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • What to wear to a Job Interview?
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I’d reject a candidate who couldn’t spell properly or used poor grammar on the application form.

Surely that is against EO. If some one is dyslexic (which I am but getting better) and states that in there application form then you cant discriminate against them.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Get your middle class heads and preconceived ideas out of your middle class asses!

Well the original post said the job was for a Mechanical Engineer and contrary to what many people think an Engineer is a professional position and would mean a suit at an interview. The clarification post of

fabricator/welder

means that it’s not a professional engineering role. Given the original post those recommending a suit were correct.

donsimon
    Free Member

Surely that is against EO. If some one is dyslexic (which I am but getting better) and states that in there application form then you cant discriminate against them.

My comment wasn’t directed at you, sorry if I’ve offended, it was for luke. 👿

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

no it has not offend me at all!!

I understand that there are certain jobs that require the applicant to be able to spell and punctuate correctly. BUT you cant dismiss some one with out seeing them just because they cant spell or punctuate.
    😉

donsimon
    Free Member

BUT you cant dismiss some one with out seeing them just because they cant spell or punctuate.

I completely agree, but a difficult one to prove, as with any reason for not employing someone and not employing someone because of tattoos is ridiculous.
    There is a supermarket here, not the same one as mentioned above, that was caught out because they wouldn’t hire check out girls that weren’t attractive. 😯

richmars

Get your middle class heads and preconceived ideas out of your middle class asses!

Well the original post said the job was for a Mechanical Engineer and contrary to what many people think an Engineer is a professional position and would mean a suit at an interview. The clarification post of

fabricator/welder
    means that it’s not a professional engineering role. Given the original post those recommending a suit were correct.

I agree with this. Shows what’s wrong with the UK where ‘engineer’ can mean such a wide range of skills/knowledge.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing middle class about a suit ffs!

Shows what’s wrong with the UK where ‘engineer’ can mean such a wide range of skills/knowledge.

Lol, what utter tripe!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Shows what’s wrong with the UK where ‘engineer’ can mean such a wide range of skills/knowledge

Bull Shyte!!

donsimon
    Free Member

Wasn’t a reference to the suit. 😆

It was a reference to this.

Shows what’s wrong with the UK where ‘engineer’ can mean such a wide range of skills/knowledge

richmars

Bull Shyte!!

Care to explain?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I class my self as a engineer. I am a skilled metal worker, carpenter and fibre glass constructor. Im In the Corps of the Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers.

I see a problem and overcome it using my range of skills. I work from technical drawings and draw technical drawings.

I understand the workings of mechanical equipment and how to repair it.

i think i can class my self as a engineer/fabricator/welder/carpenter/fibre glass engineer ETC.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I understand the workings of mechanical equipment and how to repair it.

i think i can class my self as a engineer/fabricator/welder/carpenter/fibre glass engineer ETC.

Whilst not wanting to denegrate your skills, and they certianly exceed mine in some areas, I think that the institute of mechanical engineers would disagree with you unless of course in addition to those skills you have a degree or have passed their exams.

Whilst the phrase “it shows what’s wrong with the UK…” contains unnecessary hyperbole, it is true to say that were you not in the UK but somewhere like North America or most of Europe, you would not be able to call yourself and engineer and would face legal sanction if you did.

richmars

oneoneoneone,
    As above, no one can deny that you are skilled. But that’s not the same as what an ‘engineer’ is in many countries. Some could say that this means that ‘bright’ students don’t go into ‘engineering’ and do something like banking instead. Whether that explains why, for example, we don’t have a large car industry, and Germany does, I’ll leave for other to argue about.
    By the way, I’m not an engineer.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Shaun,

You will be fine with suit trousers, shirt, jumper, polished shoes and a shave.

We’ll have the engineer discussion tomorrow 😉

Good luck dude.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

LOL, see you tomorrow or are you about tonight for a beer??

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t worry about all that 1111, go and enjoy the interview and good luck again, see what I mean about the middle classasses!
    FWIW I was an engineer for a while, it said so on my business cards, it also said Ba(hons) and that was true, so I must have been an engineer too.

molgrips
    Free Member

it is true to say that were you not in the UK but somewhere like North America or most of Europe, you would not be able to call yourself and engineer and would face legal sanction if you did.

So? Engineer is simply a word and it is not understood in this country to carry any kind of meaning other than a vague one to do with technical things. So it gets used for lots of jobs.

Doesn’t really imply any sort of de-valuing of skills, does it? Which is what I think you were getting at. If it DID represent a certain level of quality to most people and then people were allowed to go around using it despite not being of that quality, then that would be bad. But in this country we are good about such things in general.

In summary, Engineer is not a protected term (afaik).

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Well that went smoothly!!

Very hopeful now have to wait a week whilst they interview 1 other person.

iDave
    Free Member

good luck, hopefully the other candidate will have asked for advice from mumsnet

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Lets hope.

after having a look around there workshop it looks very much like a place i would love to work!!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

suit everytime, shouldnt even be asking this question to be honest 😉

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

if I had worn a suit I think I would have been laughed at!! my attire was spot on IMHO.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dear oneoneone,

Thanks for your time today. We really liked your skill set but you are too bone idle to bother putting on a suit even for one important day so that makes you scum in our eyes. Go and jump off a bridge.

Yours,

Not-so-potential employer.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What to wear to a Job Interview?’ is closed to new replies.