Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • What to wear to a Job Interview?
  • oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I have a job interview tomorrow, and I want the job!!

its a mechanical engineer. I think a Suit would be a bit over kill.

i was thinking Smart Jeans shirt with a nice woollen jumper and shoes.

sort of like this but with a plain shirt.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Lucky Thong

damo2576
    Free Member

decent suit, no tie then. dont go dress like a chav.

jools182
    Free Member

i wouldn’t wear jeans to an interview

you’ve got to make an effort

wear jeans when you get the job

crispybacon
    Free Member

if you’re going to wear your birthday suit make sure it’s ironed 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The discomfort of feeling “overdressed” pales into insignificance at the discomfort of being “underdressed”.

Wear a suit.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

How about Chinos?

meehaja
    Free Member

Always suit, you can never be overly smart. If the interviewers or other interviewees are dressed more casual, then break the ice by saying you weren’t sure what to wear, wether to go smart in a suit or wear a boiler suit and smear some grease on your face so it looks like you know watt you’re doing.

I’ve worn “interview trainers” before, it didn’t work well.

Its a little different for me as most interviews I go to involve an assessment day which can get a bit physical. Last one I did I was advised to dress “smart/casual” which could mean anything from shirt no tie through to jeans and polo shirt to me so I went in my normal work uniform, figuring if nothing else it would scare the other applicants into thinking I was better than I was.

seosamh77
    Free Member

i’d wear a suit to any job interview. once you get the job it’s a completey different stor, but defo suit for an interview.

mrmo
    Free Member

if in doubt suit, at least it shows you want the job and have taken some time to get ready. i have been to a couple of interviews where it is dress down friday, so you do feel a bit overdressed when they are wearing jeans.

donsimon
    Free Member

Wear what you expect the interviewer to wear.
    I assume you’ve done your homework and know what the staff wear on a day to day basis and what they wear in front of customers.
    The mech engineers I used to visit ranged from jeans a T-shirt to suits.
    I’d go with a suit.

MRanger156
    Free Member

100% a suit

Junkyard
    Free Member

wear a suit you will never ever fail t get a job just because you wore a suit.. All other options,no matte rhow smart, risk you loosing the job due to wrong attire. They will just think you made the effort and appreciate it IME.

I always interviewed wearing a suit and tie even though I never wore them to work. Some people get quite upset about people wearing acceptable work wear to an interview as they think it shows a lack of effort from the start

IA

Suit.

You can always take the jacket and/or tie off if you feel over-dressed.

Better they’re thinking “he’s a bit smartly dressed for this” rather than “he could have made an effort”

redthunder
    Free Member

theboatman
    Free Member

meat suit?

matt_outandabout

I once went to a job as an outdoor instructor for Glasgow council – and the reason given for me not getting the job is I wore a suit, and it was felt I was overdressed…!

Having said that, I would always suit it for a interview still.

wait4me

I had an interview this week. Company I had been working for was in process of going bust. I went along to the interview after work in work clothes (jeans, shoes and polo). My workmate went for the same position the following day before work, so got suited up. I felt a bit worried seeing him turn up to work afterwards really looking the part. I needn’t have; i nailed that sucka 😀

I have never worn a suit, but have gone for the very smartest version of my normal work attire.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I have done my background work (very hard, as its a very small niche company). the job I am going for is a fabricator/welder/general engineering.

i have settled on suit trousers, white checked shirt, dark blue jumper and a set of shoes.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it’s fabrication, then I think a suit would be ott. What you’ve suggested I would think would be fine.

And good luck. 😉

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Thanks!!

Hohum
    Free Member

Your final suggestion sounds right.

Glad you decided to drop the jeans.

Good luck with the interview 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

plain white shirt, no jumper. ever.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I dont have a white shirt. this is the plainest shirt I own.

john_drummer
    Free Member

hmm. unless the interview is early, you should have time to buy one. doesn’t have to be expensive, as long as it’s clean & ironed.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

TBH i think the shirt i have will be fine. It looks like this but the lines are fainter.

john_drummer
    Free Member

should be ok. As you say, it’s not a desk job.

oh, and good luck 🙂

duckman

Look,as good as it is,everybody will have a variation on that outfit you mentioned.You need to stand out;so why not turn up in a gas mask,flippers,and nurses uniform.That way you will definitely stand out,and the interviewers will remember you when it comes to discussing the candidates. 😀

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I was going to say suit but after you’ve clarified the job your latest choice sounds good.
    good luck too!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I cannot say suit and tie LOUD ENOUGH. I work for a international company, and while we don’t recruit on Mont Blanc pens and leather attache cases, attention to detail at the first stage is noted, it IS suggestive of whether you will go the extra mile. No interviewer will mark you down for looking good but…..

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

also another question that has come in to my head is: what do you call the interviewer??

I was going to go for Maam and Sir, unless they tell me otherwise.

is that to much??

i think this is something that has been installed in me from the army.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I was always told to wear a suit to any job interview. It shows respect to the person interviewing and respect to the process of interviewing.
    I’m a fabricator/engineer myself and have had interviews where the guy asking the questions has been in little more than vest and pants, I’ve always made the effort. It does seem to be an industry where people expext to be able to turn up in jeans and jumper though…I’d say suit and bring boots and overalls for any site tours or trade tests.
    Good luck though!

donsimon
    Free Member

what do you call the interviewer??

Depends how they introduce themselves and address you, I doubt that sir/ma’am will come into it.
    If they introduce themselves as Mr Smith, use Mr Smith. If they use Bob Smith, I would say it’s OK to call them Bob.

cookeaa

Working as an Engineer and having been on both sides of the interview situation I would always say suit.

If some one turned up to an interview whether a fabbie or a lead engineer wearing Jeans and/or no tie I’d assume that they simply weren’t serious about the job….

Merak

No matter what the position, always a suit, Suit ftw.

molgrips
    Free Member

Suit, end of. Always.

No-one would accuse you of over-dressing if you are in a suit at a bloody job interview ffs. However you could very easily be accused of under-dressing if you’re not.

I’ve been interviewed by people wearing no shoes. That means I can dress down when I work there, not before.

and the reason given for me not getting the job is I wore a suit, and it was felt I was overdressed…!

Excuse. Councils have to interview outside people sometimes even if they want to give the job to someone internal. So they fob the external interviewees off.

donsimon
    Free Member

I went for a job in a bar, didn’t wear a suit- got the job.
    I went for a job at HSS HIre shops, didn’t wear a suit- got the job.
    I went for a job at Brown Brothers, didn’t wear a suit- got the job.
    I can think of plenty of examples where wearing a suit wouldn’t be appropriate.
    The extreme examples above are perfect, there is an inbetween from suit to jeans you know.
    There is a strong probability that the OP is going to be interviewed by the owner, from the info given, who will be more interested in the guys abilities and not his fashion sense. What would happen if he was asked to demonstrate his ability and was reluctant because getting the Paul Smith dirty wouldn’t be an option?
    Get your middle class heads and preconceived ideas out of your middle class asses!
    I’ve seen some pretty sad states in suits and some pretty keen workers in casual, while making an effort and showing enthusiasm is good, the suit is not the be all and end all.
    Whatever next? No job because the guy has tattoos? 🙄
    Where is Shibboleth when you want a nice rational opinion?

luke
    Free Member

I always wear a suit to interviews, with a plain white shirt, and a plain or stripped tie, if it’s a stripped tie then the colours arn’t loud or garish, and polished shoes.

When I’m interviewing it is either suit or work uniform depending on the job.
    But then I expect the candidates to have made an effort, proper shoes not dark trainers or ugg boots or even worse crocs, smart trousers or skirt but no jeans, a smart ironed shirt or blouse. I also look for the male candidates to wear a clean tie.
    If it’s a customer facing roll, things like visable tattoo’s, visable piercings and makeup all play a part.

At the end of the day it’s down to the interviewer

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I always wear a suit when interviewing or being interviewed, same as I would always wear one for meeting new clients. I tend to rock the nice shirt, nice trousers and good coat for normal duties during the week.

POLISH YOUR SHOES!

Often overlooked, nowt makes you look more scruffy!

donsimon
    Free Member

things like visable tattoo’s,

That is quite strange from my POV, I have a student who is the supply chain director of one of the largest supermarket chains in the world who has 4 dots tattoed on his knuckles. He also teaches on MBA and other university courses. I think he is quite good of his job too, but I’m not sure!
    It would have been a shame for you to pass him over simply because of his tattoos.

I’d reject a candidate who couldn’t spell properly or used poor grammar on the application form.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What to wear to a Job Interview?’ is closed to new replies.