Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • what to wear?
  • andybrad

Ok so im wondering what folks wear when out riding in the rain. Specifically on their legs. Im currently using knee pads and the same shorts i wear for all my other rides. Unfortunately this is meaning its not long before im wet through. I did try using waterproof trousers but these soon got so flappy and covered in crap what it was impossible to cycle in them.

So what do other folks use to make riding in the mud and rain more enjoyable?

annebr
    Free Member

Winter Tights, but you still get wet and muddy.

binners

Speedo’s

tomhoward

Nothing from the chest to the ankles.

xx

andybrad

sounds good. Not sure the police would agree

tomhoward

I dunno, I hear Sting is really quite liberal when it comes to that sort of thing.

DanW
    Free Member

Lusso Max Repel tights or Pearl Izumi Elite Amfib tights are just the job for the current weather. Endura Stealth are similar but I found them very restrictive. If you wear knee pads then you might be too ‘core for tights but they really are the best option for this weather. Normal shorts can be worn on top to reduce the unease you might feel being seen out in public 😉

matt_outandabout

Soft shell panelled warm Scott tights with waterproof shorts over the top. Merino socks and sort of winter/waterproof (ish) shoes.

garage-dweller

As above but more budget selection of brand. Last night was out in endura thick shorts and knee warmers. Ride was fairly dry though (no I am not lying).

A pair of not too fleecy bib longs will keep you warm through a lot of soaking. When it’s biblically wet, cold and windy I put a pair of waterproof trouser s on (non bike specific) with thin shorts and knee warmers under because they are proper toasty! Not the best for riding in but good in the situations where I would otherwise just sit in and watch re runs of columbo.

edhornby

if you’re prepared to be undeterred by mickey taking, either a pair of old waterproof trousers cut to shorts

or

shock horror gasp – mudguards on the bike

TiRed

I wear mudguards, Roubaiz bib 3/4a, Humvees and merino long socks to keep the feet and calfs warm.

On the road I wear Pearl Izumi Elite Amfib tights, but they are too expensive to rip off road in a fall. I also wear mudguards.

andybrad

i tried mud guards. Just got a new mucky nuts rear one. It lasted one ride before it broke. I emailed them and got no reply.

Shame as their other products are good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

if you’re prepared to be undeterred by mickey taking, either a pair of old waterproof trousers cut to shorts

no offence, but why do people cut perfectly good waterproof trousers down to shorts? As trousers, the water runs off them onto the outside of your hopefully waterproof) footwear, keeping yer feet dry. Do you just want to keep yer arse dry? I’ve never suffered from a cold arse on a ride, but cold feet due to water running in many a time.

Genuine question. Is it just to look gnar, or maybe you don’t like trousers catching on chainrings?.

Genuinely bemused.

lapierrelady

Different kicks for different chicks I guess. I loathe waterproof trousers in any situation, as it always feels like they are retricting movement around the knee. I go tights (altura night vision or similar) plus waterproof shorts (men’s altura attack waterproof shorts..apparently women don’t go out in the rain).Usually no jacket, just another merino longsleeve, unless it’s absolutely hoofing it down, when an old splash top does for keeping the worst off.

19ninety
    Free Member

Funkier winter tights. cycle-clothing.co.uk jacket and base layer. Once I’m huffing and puffing thats plenty warm. Just want to get some sealskinz socks … frozen wet feet are not fun.

woody2000

Mudguards, mudguards, mudguards! I have 3 on my “winter” bike, stops pretty much everything getting to my body and upper legs; it’s really only the feet/ankles that cop it but a pair of winter boots helps with that. Keeps the missus happy too as the washing machine doesn’t get full of crap 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Lyrca bib shorts and leg warmers with Troy Lee moto shorts over the top (rather warmer and more waterproof than my Endura Venturi 3/4s). Kneepads over the top of the leg warmers.

Defeet Woolie Boolie socks (feet stay warm, if not dry), 5:10s or MP66s depending on clips or flats.

I detest wearing trousers to ride in

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘what to wear?’ is closed to new replies.