Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • What to see in Rome
  • mogrim

All based on going in June when it was a bit busy

Spanish steps = Yawn
    Trevi Fountain = A bit oh is that all

Pantheon = Ace
    Colloseum = Ace
    All the ruins to the west of the collseum = Ace
    Piazza Novona = Pretty good with plenty going on also there is a restaurant literally at the south entrance (on the path in) which was good but then I’ve never been to a bad eating place in Italy.

Vatican stuff = PITA as the queue is massive so a very early start needed. Literally had no time as stepped on train 30 seconds before it left after dragging wife through the Cistine chapel with only a glance at the ceiling. This was the second attempt to get in but the queue was back to St Peters square and 5 across the first time.

I’d agree with pretty much all that, although we had better luck with the Vatican – definitely get there early. Best thing IMO was just wandering about, there’s something to see around every corner.

For eating, just get off the main streets – any restaurant with pictures on the menu is probably best avoided 🙂

tomlevell

ransos – Member

Trevi Fountain = A bit oh is that all

I was there yesterday. I think you need a trip to Specsavers…

It’s a fountain and not a very big one at that. Nor does it do anything exciting.

I fully admit that other people may think it’s ace.

“The Forum” that’s the bit I was thinking of. Wish we’d had the time to go round again. My favourite section was through the entrance at the Colloseum and then turn left to eventually get to look out over the Chariot Track. (I really should remember what some of this stuff is really called) Also benefitted from being really quiet as there were no columns lying around to look at.

mogrim

The “Chariot Track” – aka Circus Maximus – isn’t massively interesting, at least compared to everything else there is to see. Still, it’s close to the Colosseum and Forum, so if you do fancy going there it’s not a big risk.

One thing I’d definitely recommend not doing is going on the underground, it’s dark and dingy and best avoided!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Rome’s ace! The usual suspects are all listed……go and enjoy them.
    If you’re there on a wednesday Popey does his address in St.Peter’s Sq every weds morning – you could give him a wave. The queues to get into Vatican and St Peter’s can be enormous, but bear with it ~ it really is worth it. The Sistene Chapel was a bit underwhelming, considering it’s reputation, but the Vatican museum is outrageous! And St Peter’s is probably my favouite building 🙂

footflaps

You can book the Vatican online in advance, so can avoid the queues.

EDIT: I’m seeing the Pope at 2.30 on Saturday to set him straight on a few things….

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a fountain and not a very big one at that. Nor does it do anything exciting.

What, exactly were you expecting? The hanging gardens of Babylon?

mogrim

Well, seeing as it’s on the list of must-see things… something a bit more spectacular, I suppose? It’s a nice enough fountain, but it’s not something I’d want to visit more than once – unlike the other main sites in Rome.

tomlevell

ransos – Member

It’s on a par with the Astronomical clock in Prague.
    :0)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

When I went to Rome, I saw MrsMitch in some very saucy undies. We were on honeymoon at the time, and it was twelve years ago now, so I doubt you’ll see her when you go.

footflaps

so I doubt you’ll see her when you go.

Didn’t she tell you she’s away this WE?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

She said she was going to her sisters! Right, it’s the patio for her!

footflaps

Well made it. Staying about 50m from Trevi Fountain:

Trevi Fountain by brf, on Flickr

Trevi Fountain by brf, on Flickr

Ringo
    Free Member

Nice I’m there next week, where’s the cheapest beer?

konabunny
    Free Member

Bit late for the OP, whose photos look lovely, but if you have a smart phone, consider downloading a guide book eg thru the Kindle app. It’s a lot easier that carrying a book around and reduces the dumb tourist look slightly. Of course, you can’t buy a second hand e book and borrowing them from the library is trickier.

footflaps

We’re using the Lonely Planet iPhone App. It’s basic, but shows where you are on its map and has all the sites marked with brief descriptions.

footflaps

Well we’ve just done the three hour Vatican tour, comprising museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica. Bit of an ordeal but worth it for the detailed commentary. As an Atheist I know bugger all about the history of the Catholic Church, so learnt a fair bit, which I’ve probably forgotton by now!

St Peter’s Basilica is just mind blowing, will post some photos later. Found the Cistine Chapel very under whelming. It was packed with 300 tourists all taking photos of the ceiling whilst 10 guards just shouted ‘No Photos’ continually and everyone ignored them. Supposedly you’re supposed to contemplate in silence!

hammerite
    Free Member

We rocked up on All Souls Day so unbeknownst to us the Sistine Chapel was shut, rest of the walk round was impressive though.

Bit random and vague, but there’s a deli place on one of the streets near the Vatican, does lovely slabs of chocolate with nuts in. We had ours when we got back to the hotel sat on the bed, think the maid thought we were having some sort of dirty protest the next morning crumbs got everywhere.

footflaps

View from Pantheon by brf, on Flickr

Inside the Pantheon by brf, on Flickr

footflaps

And a few more:

St. Peter’s Basilica by brf, on Flickr

St. Peter’s Basilica by brf, on Flickr

Vatican by brf, on Flickr

Vatican Museums by brf, on Flickr

footflaps

Temple of Hadrian, Rome by brf, on Flickr

More Frescos than you could shake a stick at:

Papal Chambers, Vatican by brf, on Flickr

footflaps

One weird thought which occurred to me, is you’re walking on the same steps which Roman Emperors used, and they don’t look too bad for it:

Roman Emperors walked on these steps by brf, on Flickr

Obviously statues everywhere:

Piazza del Popolo, statue by brf, on Flickr

Piazza del Popolo, statue by brf, on Flickr

Most of the famous stuff is nicely lit at night as well, which makes for nice evening walks:

Spanish Steps by brf, on Flickr

footflaps

Did the Colosseum today.

My top tip is the touts outside, offering a tour to skip the queues is actually a very good deal. For E28 each you get entry to the Colosseum (E12.5) plus a 90 min guided tour and then entry to Palatine Hill (E12) plus a 90 min guided tour with very knowledgeable guides. So that works out at about E3.5 for three hours of a guide. Plus, you do skip the huge queue and go straight in. If you don’t like guided tours, you can ditch the guide as soon as you get in and just meet up with them later for Palatine Hill.

The Colosseum at night by brf, on Flickr

The Colosseum by brf, on Flickr

For such a famous place, I’ve been impressed by how little hassle we’ve had from touts and hawkers – it’s been pretty relaxed on the whole, not been hassled by anyone in three days here.

samuri
    Free Member

Can I recommend hiring a car and driving about the place?

It will be the most terrifying, intimidating and horrendous activity you will probably ever partake in but it’ll set your perspective for the rest of your life.

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, and I’ve been all over the world and the only place anyone has been quick enough to get away with my money was in Rome. They cut through my coat while it was hanging on the back of my chair in a cafe. I felt them trying to tug the wallet out, saw and chased them, two blokes. They pulled the cash out of the wallet while I was chasing them and threw the wallet to one side, immediately stopped and faced me with a knife. All they’d stolen was about 30 quid’s worth of cash so I shrugged, picked up my wallet and walked away.

Watch your valuables.

footflaps

Yes, the taxi drive from the airport was an experience! So far, we’ve just walked everywhere – it’s so compact you can walk from the Colosseum to the Vatican in 20 mins, although in practice it takes about 5 hours as you keep spotting ancient monuments every 100 yards and wandering around them…..

On the security aspect, massive police presence at all the tourist attractions. I’ve been wandering round with a £7k camera day and night and not had anyone so much as take an interest in it….

footflaps

Another tip, just about every museum and church seems to be shut on a Monday.

Bregante

footflaps, have you been at the Vatican and threatened to reveal that the Pope was your first brickie on your garage or something?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pope-resigns

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What to see in Rome’ is closed to new replies.