Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what to scoff before a bike commute?
  • ton

i do a 20 mile commute to work each morning. been eating 1 slice brown toast with either jam or marmite each morning, before i go.
    when i get to work, i am pretty hungry, and try to eat some protein within 30 mins of arriving.
    i am hungry all the time, what am i doing wrong.
    i need a good healthy diet to try out for someone riding 3hrs per day.

sensible idea’s please.

bearnecessities

(I’m a Dorset Cereals evangelist. They really are VERY good; nothing like other muesli offerings, Jordans inlcuded.)

simondbarnes

I don’t eat anything before my 28 mile commute – hate eating right before a ride. I have a Torq Recovery shake as soon as I get in and then some cereal and / or fruit a bit later.

joshvegas
    Free Member

The lidl muesli is as good as the dorset stuff but nowhere near as expensive*. no dust and big chunky oats and nuts.

failing that…

2 eggs is a bowl whisk. microwave.
    bagel in toaster.
    mustard on bagel
    round egg omelette thing on bagel.

*no choices its seriously nutty only I am afraid. and when dorsets are on offer i stock up.

nedrapier

Only 6 to work here. Coffee and nothing. Occasionally coffee and a marmalade sandwich.

bearnecessities

Joshvegas, how much is the lidl muesli?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pie and a pint, tha big jessie!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bearnecessities,

not sure I just remember thinking ‘thats cheap’ it is genuinely very very good though!

MrNice
    Free Member

what would iDave recommend? something with eggs and chorizo or beans?

It’s omelette for me most days but if I’m going to be pedalling I find porridge gets a good balance between giving energy to ride but not leaving me starving again 30 minutes later.

kimbers

big bowl of porridge for me, usually about 30mins before I leave as Im eating with the kids, even when the weathers hot I need the ballast

orangeboy
    Free Member

Nothing before riding and lidle musile at work

bearnecessities

Ok, noted thanks. Just another piece of evidence that points to me trying Lidl one day!

ton

i have the idave stuff one i get to work.
    i need something good prior to setting off

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Lidl muesli is about £1.65 I think, for a 750g bag. Very good stuff it is too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Dunno what you’re doing wrong, are you really hungry or have you just got in the habit of eating shortly after your ride and therefore mentally expect to eat?

I used to do 30-40 miles commuting each day, typically I’d have a bowl of frosties for breakfast and an extra bit of fruit or a packet of crisps around 11. Then normal lunch and dinner when I got home. Weight never really fluctuated much over the 7 years that I commuted and I don’t remember feeling particularly hungry.

MrNice
    Free Member

i have the idave stuff one i get to work.
    i need something good prior to setting off

do it the other way round? idave at home then porridge or muesli when you get there to refuel after?

everyone
    Free Member

Scrambled eggs maybe? Doesn’t take particularly long to make although it’s not as portable as toast is if you’re running late.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Crunchy nut cornflakes.
    Brown toast.
    Pastries with nuttella on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what to scoff before a bike commute?’ is closed to new replies.