• This topic has 72 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • What to say to a skinflint
  • binners

Ernie. I don’t think he was saying you were gay or owt.

I think he was merely pointing out that a pint of coke in the pub comes in at the same, or more, as a pint of wifebeater. Thus rendering it the most utterly pointless and stupid purchase in the world

Cougar

why the **** would I buy “a pint of Coke in a pub” ?

Go on tell me ……I’m intrigued.

Er, because you were talking about buying soft drinks in a pub. That was your entire point. To wit,

it can be seriously disadvantageous to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol, or very small amounts of it. Sometimes people go to a pub expecting to spend very little on only a few soft drinks, and end up having to shell out much more

So, I’m confused. One minute you’re arguing about the price of alcohol against the price of soft drinks when buying rounds, but in your next post you’re saying that you’ve never actually bought one yourself and are getting argumentative at the very notion that someone might accuse you of being thirsty.

Have I got that right or am I just being slow and missing something here?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@ binners :

Ahh, right…………. I thought he was having a pop at me 😀

BTW, a “pint” of coke ? 😐

EDIT : He is having a pop at me ! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

I’m not, but I’m starting to think I should be! Er, can we start that again?!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sure, go ahead……….have a pop at me if you want.

I don’t mind really 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think he was merely pointing out that a pint of coke in the pub comes in at the same, or more, as a pint of wifebeater. Thus rendering it the most utterly pointless and stupid purchase in the world

Not in the pubs I frequent, pint of coke is about 1.50, any alcohol will set you back 2.20+. Plus if you’re driving, or on medication, or just don’t fancy alcohol….

RealMan
    Free Member

Not in the pubs I frequent, pint of coke is about 1.50, any alcohol will set you back 2.20+. Plus if you’re driving, or on medication, or just don’t fancy alcohol….

+1, coke always <£2, pint always >£2.80

BillMC

Come on now chaps, keep the pugilism for the meanies.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Did somebody look at Ernie’s pint of Coke? 😯

OUTSIDE NOW!

I wouldn’t have that, Ernie. He’s basically insulted your entire family. And if you let it slide, then it means you’re soft as delicious, home churned butter from the hills of Wales, and his bitch.

binners

I’m just sayin’ like. Pubs must make an absolute mint out of gayers people who don’t drink though. £2+ for some sugary syrup that has carbonated water added to it at the pump. Its costing them literally nothing.

Compared with say £2.80 for a pint of something that has been through a brewing process, then has a lot of tax and duty slapped on it

Just saying. Hang on….. how did i get involved in this argument?

binners

Oi Fred. That bloke over there called your pint of Lime & soda a puff

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep – I have actually seen pub landlords soil themselves* with excitement when people buy a cola from their ‘Wunderbar’. IIRC the cost of a box of syrup is something like £40 and it makes pints and pints and pints of revolting stuff whose only resemblance to cola is that it is called cola. It certainly doesn’t taste like the same (real?) thing.

*Not the truth

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That bloke over there called your pint of Lime & soda a puff

That’s fighting talk where I come from

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do what? Where is he? I’ll bloody batter the bastid!

(Glasses a completely innocent bystander by mistake)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Do what?”

^ classic kicking off talk

Cougar

Tell you what.

Seeing as it’s you lot, I’ll endeavour to do some research. I shall force myself to visit one of these “public houses” tonight – in fact, I’d better visit several just to get a broad sample base – and enquire as to the price of their soft drinks.

I shall of course need to purchase some of their wares in order to avoid offence, and as I’m led to believe from comments on here that Coke from a pub is “the most utterly pointless and stupid purchase in the world” it shall have to be an ale or six.

Nevertheless, I shall attempt to force it down, and spend the evening traipsing around an old East Lancashire mill town in the dark until an advanced state of mental incompetence brings on a sudden chemical requirement for a dirty pizza and you’re all my best mates you ffuuu…

Anyway. I hope you all appreciate the sacrifices I’m prepared to make so that the denizens of STW shall be provided with factual, uh, facts on which to base their discussions.

binners

Cougar – Your self sacrifice on our collective behalves is greatly appreciated sir

You’re a real martyr.

Incidentally: Which East Lancs town you out in fella? I was out that neck of the woods conducting similar research myself last night. Very scientific it was too 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think we should have a whip-round for Cougar – after all he is doing this for US and giving up his own free time to do so.

As there are 27 contributors, I say £3 from each of us – that’s £78 which should cover ales, a dirty kebab and a taxi home.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Scientific Research Funding cut due to Big Society though. 🙁

(Discovers is barred from pub. Has no idea why…)

Cougar

IIRC the cost of a box of syrup is something like £40

Back in the early 90s I was privy to the pricing of “post-mix” or “Bag-in-Box” soft drinks (which is what you’re referring to) in a, well, in a bowling alley. The biggest jumbo-colossal serving they sold, which must be getting on for almost a litre, cost us nine pence in total ingredients. Worth bearing in mind next time you’re at your local megaplex and they’re asking three quid a pop.

Cougar

Which East Lancs town you out in fella?

Tonight, I shall mostly be in Blackburn if all goes to plan. Where were you?

I think we should have a whip-round for Cougar…
    £78 which should cover ales, a dirty kebab and a taxi home.

I live in Accrington, for £78 I could probably buy all that and still have change left over for a mucky woman.

binners

Blackburn? With £78 you could probably buy a house, thus negating the need for a taxi home 🙂

I was out in Rammy last night. Technically I can’t class it as research as i didn’t inquire into the soft drinks prices. Shame that really. I could have applied to the Big Society Bank for a loan to fund it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

they’re asking three quid a pop

Quide lidderalee ‘pop’

🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

I can’t wait to get out of Blackburn – bring on the end of the working day!

Cougar

I was out in Rammy last night.

Wow. I’ve not been there in years. Does that bloke off Emmerdale still own the pub in the middle?

hora
    Free Member

I’d readily give a mate 10/20quid. I am however disorganised and I always shy away from rounds in pubs. Why?

I was an epic drinker in my late teens to late 20’s.

Someday this aspect may comeback and royally kill me.

Hence I drink as light as possible now when out. Last Sat night me and bingo went to our local and I had to pints of ale before going home.

binners

Yes, yes, indeed oh enigmatic one, but none of that is the issue here is it?

Let me give you an example: The other week you were more than happy to let me buy you a pint and then when I asked/told you it was your round, you said you didn’t have any cash on you, and as good as snuck out of the back door of the pub

Its not the first time either. Frankly, its not on!! It may or may not surprise you to learn that you were getting a right slagging on your pimpernel-like disappearance, and not just from me.

I’m naming and shaming you on here so that you mend your ways. Being from Yorkshire is one thing. Relying on your mates to fund your trips to the pub, isn’t!

There!! That’s you told! SORT IT OUT!! And then let that be an end to the frightful matter 😀

MussEd
    Free Member

Think thats a bit different fom the situation described by the OP though Hora. No problem with folk up front not wanting to join a round Whatever their reasons, but when tight arse happily scarfs 5 pints then slinks off into the night not hving returned the favour? Nae need!

hora
    Free Member

Binners I’d given bloody 45mins before 🙄

You wanted me to give more blood at the bar 😆

grum
    Free Member

I think we should have a whip-round for Cougar – after all he is doing this for US and giving up his own free time to do so.

I believe there is lottery funding available…

binners

Ok. There’s a simple solution to this. From now on you get the first round. No loitering around, walking slowly, turning up late, or ‘just nipping to the car’. None of that nonsense any more. You must think we were all born yesterday.

Its easy once you try. Simply park your bike in the normal fasion, then issue everyone with instructions to stand aside, you then stroll manfully up to the bar and say “barman! I would like you to furnish my riding companions with a round of your finest ales! I myself will be having a creme de menthe!”

If you demonstrate this, it may go some small way to restoring your frankly tattered reputation 😉

Everywhen
    Free Member

Used to drink with a fella whose tactic was to arrive at the pub before everyone else so he was sitting there with his pint almost finished. When everyone else arrived he was included in the round, he’d then let everyone else get one in until it was time for him to pony up, then he would announce that “I have to go a bit early tonight lads” and leave.

It took us a while to realise what he was doing. When we did, we just sat there after the first round with empty glasses. He got the point and bought a round, but got a half in for himself. Next round he asked for a pint!
    He was probably the highest paid amongst us at the time as well.

Drac

The simple solution is not to be the tight fisted ones a beer.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What to say to a skinflint’ is closed to new replies.