• This topic has 72 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • What to say to a skinflint
  • BillMC

I ride occasionally with someone who is well paid but terminally mean. In the post ride pub visit he always times it to avoid sticking his hand in his pocket. It’s beginning to irritate me to the point of not wanting to ride with him. What comment/joke would you make to such a person to snap them out of it and make them understand that they too need to contribute to the common good?

Drac

“You round first you’ve never paid for one yet”

molgrips
    Free Member

“Put your bloody hand in your pocket you stingy b*stard. It’s not appreciated.”

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Drac +1

backhander
    Free Member

Molgrips +1

RustySpanner

Just dump them.

They never, ever learn, seem to think it’s funny or take it as some backhanded compliment.

Just get rid, it’s the easiest way.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Oi tight-arse, bar now!

binners

Yes. One of my regular tight-arse Yorkshire riding ‘friends’ is very guilty of this. I believe its been mentioned before. No names. No pack drill etc eh Hora? I know we joke about it on here but he’s as tight as a gnats chuff. He NEVER got a round in. EVER! It really gets my bloody goat too!.

Anyway… In a moment of inspiration I hit on the perfect way to stop it. When we arrived at the pub, I pulled my lock out of my camelbak and locked my bike to his. I then informed him that I wasn’t going to be unlocking it until he got the beers in

It worked 😀

z1ppy

I have a friend like this (not well paid though), we & another friend went to a small concert. 2nd friend went to buy his 2nd round, after the ‘skin flint’ not buying one, 2nd friend just missed him out of the round without saying anything.
    ‘Skin flint’ got the idea and brought the next round.

I just wouldn’t buy him a drink at the pub.

Skin flint is a nasty term for a friend though, I just describe my friend as being careful with money. He mananged to buy himself a house lately, which for single person on a lower than average wages [that a joke in itself] is quite an achievment – fair play to him.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just don’t buy him a drink. Then when he asks where his is, ask him when the last time he bought for you was?

Cougar

I’ve a mate who’s exactly like this. He earns at least double my salary, and he’s tight to the point of subtly walking slower when he gets near to a pub door so that someone else will go in first and thus arrive at the bar ahead of him.

Another party trick is to be the last to buy a round and then try to end the night just before his round comes round again, so he’s bought n-1 compared to everyone else.

After knowing him for about 20 years, I can say that the only successful strategy I’ve ever found is a firm, direct, “go to the bar you c–t.” Works every time.

McHamish
    Free Member

Yep…just tell him. Then stand there waiting for him to buy a round.

If he’s got no money, then get him a tap water.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always turn up late to the bar and everyone always has a round in by the time I get there. I don’t do it on purpose, it’s just my life’s a bit full and I tend to be late everywhere.

I hate buying rounds though, it means you’re stuck having to leave when everyone else does and stuck buying bob his £5 a shot mixer when you’re on a £2 pint. It’s too much trouble to be honest, I avoid it at all costs and just go buy my own drinks. Rounds system only develops because people can’t be arsed getting up to go to the bar or because the bar is crowded – just pick a less crowded bar.

Cougar

TBH, the only time I enter a ’rounds’ agreement is when it’s a couple of mates going out for a few ales. If there’s a dozen of you going for cocktails, someone is always going to get gouged.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Are you getting these in ?” when walking to the bar, is the easiest thing to say.

If he says “no I can’t I haven’t any money on me”, I would say “OK, I’ll get these”. But if it happened again, I would say “but you said that last time” and would buy my own.

The chances are though, that he’ll say “sure, what are you having”.

Don’t be shy otherwise some people will take the piss. Although it’s always better/nicer to be generous than mean and tight-fisted like Derek Starship, so either way you win and he loses.

BigJohn

First out of the car, last to the bar.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rounds system only develops because people can’t be arsed getting up to go to the bar or because the bar is crowded

I think some people like to buy their friends drinks and to enjoy the bonhomie of the communal pub experience.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think some people like to buy their friends drinks and to enjoy the bonhomie of the communal pub experience.

Bit pointless isn’t it, in a good round situation everyone returns the favour, you might as well have bought it yourself and there’d be less aggro and “ooh he’s not paid, ooooh why’s he last to the bar” handbag nonsense. You don’t buy to receive.

banginon

Ha! and there’s me thinking this thread’ll be about all the well paid software engineers and marketing types that either don’t shop locally or come in and haggle over the price of a mech to go on their four grand bike to save their holiday….. Silly me 😉

Cougar

You know, I’m glad you said that. Because I’ll go to the bar and say “what are you having” to a mate, not because I want to start a round system, but because I want to buy a drink for a mate. I always thought I was a bit of a freak for thinking that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

in a good round situation everyone returns the favour

Indeed, however it can be seriously disadvantageous to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol, or very small amounts of it. Sometimes people go to a pub expecting to spend very little on only a few soft drinks, and end up having to shell out much more, and often they might simply not have the money on them. For those reasons they should be respected when they express a wish to buy the their own.

spacemonkey

What Drac said. End of.

Cougar

it can be seriously disadvantageous to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol

There speaks someone who hasn’t bought a pint of Coke in a pub in the last ten years.

binners

however it can be seriously disadvantageous to someone who doesn’t drink alcohol, or very small amounts of it

Pft! I can’t imagine having friends like that 😀

To be fair, I only know one (afore-mentioned) person who’s (unbelievably) stingy on that front. Normally it’s the polar opposite. “I’ll get these”, “No, your ok, I’ll get ’em” etc etc. That’s probably one of the reasons they’re my mates

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Had one or two tightarse mates who seem loathe to get a round in, and need to be encouraged, but then sometimes someone might not have the money for it, so it’s no big deal. Such people tend to always insist on getting a round in when they’re more sorted though, so it balances out. Have to say, WCA off here is the opposite, in fact you have to tell him not to buy you a pint (when you’ve already had several and need to be able to see straight to get home safely..).

It’s birds what get my goat though. Some of ’em never get a round in. Have that outdated expectation that it’s blokes what buy ladies drinks. Many a night I’ve bitten me lip cos of this.

Did Sylivia Pankhurst sruggle in vain? Get yer purses out yer tight bints!

float
    Free Member

dont buy rounds?

binners

Have to say, WCA off here is the opposite, in fact you have to tell him not to buy you a pint (when you’ve already had several and need to be able to see straight to get home safely..).

You’re not bloody kidding there Fred. Has he told you about the ‘incident’ I had on the way home after meeting him in Manchester for a ‘couple’ of beers?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

He did Binners, he did. 😆

I’d’ve ended up in clink for that. How on Earth did you get away with it??

I remember him calling his wife, from a pub inGreenwich, to tell her he’d be home by 8.

I think it was around 2am when the cab dropped him outside his house. 😀

BillMC

In the case I flagged up, often there’s three of us riding. We all drink the same(ish) ale so no cost difference. The offending person earns mid 40s and is in his 20s. He does the slow walk into the pub, wants to stop at 2 pints when there is three of us. He once proudly told me of when his dad worked in the motor industry he would not join a union but was pleased as punch that other workers would go on strike to get him a pay rise. He was a bit surprised when I referred to him as a scab. The offending person also votes Tory.
    You getting the picture?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

We usually have a kitty with everyone chipping in enough to cover what they’re expecting to drink at the start of the pub stop. Anyone taking the p155 gets named and shamed.

binners

Looking back the following morning I don’t know how the hell i got away with it. It had ‘night in the cells’ written all over it.

Thats another one of my lives gone eh? 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

i dont drink so i dont do rounds
    I would go for the very blunt verbal approach followed by not buying them a drink

JoeBones
    Free Member

We used to have a mate who always was happy to come to the pub with his mates (us) and quietly whisper in your ear “byus a pint I have no money”

I knew he had no money and no job so I gave him a job working for us and he still asked everyone to “byus a pint I have no money” at that point I terminated the friendship (and the job he was useless), some 12 years later my social circle still afectionally refer to him as byus, LOL

I dont have much money at this present time and if I cant afford to buy a drink back I will kindly decline any offer, its only fair.

xiphon
    Free Member

“Did you pass the bar on your way to the toilet?”
    “Yes”
    “Next time you pass, get a round in”

Cougar

“Did you pass the bar on your way to the toilet?”
    “Yes”
    “You’d better see a doctor, that might be serious”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters what the person earns though – if someone is willing to go to a pub and accept a drink from someone, they should be prepared to buy one back irrespective of their salary. If you can’t afford to go to a pub, don’t step in the door.

thegreatape
    Free Member

When we have a work night out we just do a kitty, everyone puts £20 in, and then the new boy has to go to the bar each time. That works well, for all but one of us anyway.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There speaks someone who hasn’t bought a pint of Coke in a pub in the last ten years.

😕 There speaks me……..and why the **** would I buy “a pint of Coke in a pub” ?

Go on tell me ……I’m intrigued.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because you can enjoy going to the pub without consuming alcohol?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I just wouldn’t buy him a drink at the pub.

this

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What to say to a skinflint’ is closed to new replies.