Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What to replace XC Pros with
  • avdave2

I need to replace my XC pro’s so what tyre will beat them on all counts? I don’t want anything heavier, I don’t need anything harder wearing or tougher and I don’t want any increase in rolling resistance. Better grip would obviously be a bonus. It’ll be all xc riding and generally dry weather, I’ve a rigid bike with Mud X that comes out whenever it’s wet and muddy.

Thanks

cp

Maxxis AdVantage are great IME. I used to use XC pro’s and prefer the Advantages on most counts.

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve gone from Fire XC Pro’s to speciliazed captain and fast trak.

MrGreedy

Racing Ralphs/Rocket Rons maybe?

darkcyan
    Free Member

This reminds me of the VW advert.

It looks like a golf, sounds like a golf – you see where i’m coming from?!!!!

I still run these for general use for three seasons – never let me down, mud x in the winter.

Pluses

Fast – yes
    Grippy – yes
    Cheap – ish
    Available – yes
    Durable – yes
    50 million versions – no (thats a plus)
    Not Contis – yes

Negatives

Trendy – definitey not
    Open to random abuse from riding mates – assured
    Stupid red stripe that can be seen from a long way off – yes.

DC

pitduck
    Free Member

have you considered xc pros,seems fit all your criteria 😉

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Stupid red stripe? Pah, you mean awesome red stripe, surely. I have the blue striped ones on my bouncer and red on the hard tail so I can tell which bike is which.

Having never ridden on any other tyres except XC Pros, are there noticeably better all-round tyres out there?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Fast – yes

Not as fast as new schwalbes for similar grip if you ask me.

avdave2

Well I’m prepared to accept that they do everything I want very well but are some people then telling me that for xc riding there has been no advances in tyres in the last 10 years or however long these have been around!

Do you not realize that I need to believe that if I buy something different I’ll be better.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What do you want to the tyres to do?

Where do you ride?

What sort of rider are you?

What conditions do you ride in?

All things to bear in mind. There’s a lot of good tyres out there now that are lighter will roll quicker and grip better than XC Pros. 🙂

Direct replacement? Personally I’d probably go Bontrager Mud X 2.0s.

Something better? Black Chilli 2.4 Conti X-Kings are very good.

avdave2

What do you want to the tyres to do?

Go round, stay upright 🙂

Where do you ride?

South Downs

What sort of rider are you?

Rider is pushing it, wheels on the ground xc, less than 60kg never break anything

What conditions do you ride in?

All, every day all year round (off road commuter)which is why have a rigid bike with Mud X permanently attached for when it’s wet.

The Mud x are good and I could move the worn ones to the hardtail for dryer weather but I’d prefer something with a little more volume.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatorys or Bontie XR4s are good, roll well in our southern climes and are pretty volumnous (sp?) without breaking the bank (although not so hot when the sky leaks and the temps drop).

Aforementioned Contis are great, but not cheap.

Maxxis AdVantages can be picked up for not too much, although I’d personally be looking more at the Spesh and Bontie lines at the moment as they seem to have embraced ‘deeper’ tyres and tubeless compatibility.

I have some Bontie Jones ACX 2.35 Gum-bis for sale if you’re interested… Bought off here a while back, never used by me. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What to replace XC Pros with’ is closed to new replies.