Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to replace my RS Pikes with?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Always keen to loose a little weight from my hardtail, so thinking of swapping out my coil 426 Pikes (which I modded so I have external compression adjust) for something a little less substantial.

The only thing is they will be used for a bit of dirtjumping, DH etc, so don’t want anything noodly (I managed to snap my Pike lowers over Christmas but that was in a fairly rare situation…)

I’d be wanting;

Travel around 100mm, if adjustable, even better.
    15 or 20mm axle
    Externally adjustable compression
    If they are “better” performing than Pikes, awesome.
    Vaguely tough.
    Not too pricey. I will be looking to buy used, so the latest spangly version is not really suitable.Budget probably around £200-300 tops (will depend on how much I get for the Pikes and how much extra I’m willing to put in).

Don’t really know much about forks in this area, Rebas? Revs?

How about air? Never had an air fork as I like the simplicity/durability of coil, but I guess it’s an option?

Any thoughts/input would be great.

Ta, Duane.

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh and 1 1/8th steerer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

zocchi dirt jumpers?

MrOvershoot

Air Pikes?

Have had 2 pairs since 2005 both still work fine despite my best efforts

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Air pikes/Revs have been very reliable, but then I’m not a dirt jumper, a pair of QR air revs is about 500g less than 20mm Uturn pikes

Most 100mm DJ options will be heavier and XC options too noodly. pikes represent something of a sweet spot.

I’d suggest getting your pikes “pushed” so the compression damping is adjustable. (unlees your mod works) and get a U-turn spring for your travel adjust needs. (too late to convert them to air).

If it was a new fork – Sector air?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Magura Thor?
    I’ll have a brand new warranty replacement set available in the very near future. but i will be after a bit more than £300 for them

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for replies.

My current Pike has U Turn and working external compression adjust.

I’m basically looking for something similar (U turn isn’t essential but would be nice), but lighter, and without me having to spend too much extra.

Ta, Duane.

prezet
    Free Member

Argyles? Strong and stiff.

Duane…
    Free Member

And heavy, exactly what I’m trying to get away from 😛 (I’ve had Argyles before).

I_Ache
    Free Member

Second hand Fox 36 Float R is probably available for about that price. You can drop the travel internally and easily, you cant adjust the compression externally but Im not sure you need to on an air fork because they are so tunable.

Duane…
    Free Member

36s will be overkill I think, extra weight and I don’t need more stiffness than my Pikes I don’t think.
    I want externally adjustable compression as I want to run them firmer when riding jumps/BMX tracks etc, and softer for trails.

james
    Free Member

“Magura Thor?”
    I realise s/h has no warranty, but IIRC* Thors and even the 160mm Wotan are not warrantied for any jumping/dropping at all

*Could be I’m remembering the wording wrong

tbh, I’d say pikes. Maybe try finding an aluminium steerer tubed 454 model, (is it flexier?), or dual-air (rare?) or dual-air U-turn (min 110mm as new though)
    Perhaps a s/h 36 Float as above, but you’d get lighter with a 454 Dual-air Pike?

Maybe also 2009 RS Revelation 20mm (pike lowers) in dual-air. about 2.05kg, about the same as 454 pike dual-air. Maybe exactly the same fork?

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.
    Ended up getting a set of 20mm Reba SLs, hopefully they’ll be OK 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to replace my RS Pikes with?’ is closed to new replies.