Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What to replace my On One Inbred 29er SS frame with?
  • RoterStern
    Free Member

So after cleaning my Inbred after a MTB marathon yesterday I noticed that the seat stays have a small crack on both sides just after the gusset. Oh well another Inbred bites the dust (that’ll be number 5). So now I am looking for something a little more upmarket to replace the frame with but without being too spendy. I was thinking about a Singular Swift but it has been pointed out to me that the new frames have a much longer chain stay to incorporate the 29+ wheels. So I am looking for something that is similar to the Inbred that I can use for general messing about on in winter but also light enough to race on but perhaps a slightly slacker geometery than the Inbred. What are my options? Already looked at a Karate Monkey but I am non plussed by them ..not sure exactly why. Suggestions please 🙂

Edit; Picture of Inbred to give idea of set up

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swift has the same sorts of clearance as an Inbred (upto 29*2.4 or thereabouts), although it will take a 27.5*3.25 tyre too, it’s not meaningfully longer. It won’t take 29*3, that’s the Singular Rooster you’re thinking of.

I’ve had a Swift and a Salsa El-Mariachi, not much between them, the Salsa has (I think) slightly larger tubes which makes it feel a bit more solid, the Swift feels more like an old skool XC frame (a bit flexy, but in a good way)

Others to look at:

Surly Karate Monkey

Pipedream Sirrus

Cotic Solaris

RoterStern
    Free Member

Thanks. Jst had a quick look at the Sirius but it’s only 27.5 so that is out but the Skookum looks interesting. Anyone else got any suggestions?

noltae
    Free Member

If you don’t want spendy – go 2nd hand or get another inbred – Inbreds are ace ..

crashrash

Solaris 2 is great all rounder. Slacker and longer than inbred but still quick enough to race on. Love mine!Can run it with 120 or 100 forks depending on preference.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was ‘that’s very nic…………whiiiite spooookes!’ 😯

RoterStern
    Free Member

You leave my white spokes alone! They cost more than the frame! 🙂

I’ve had a look on some single speed forums and Soma Juice has been banded around a lot. Anyone know how they ride?

Duffer
    Free Member

Take it to a machine shop and have the stays welded up? You can’t buy history.

I’ve never known them crack at the stays. What’s caused that? Is it definately not just the paint?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve never known them crack at the stays. This is the third Inbred frame that has done just that (the others were 26er frames) but the last two the crack was further back towards the rear drop out. I could get it welded but after all the work and then respray it would more likely work out cheaper to buy a new frame.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s always the obvious option of another Inbred.

I’ve been waiting to see if the frames ever fall into the clearance sales, but never seem to. But £200 is still a lot less than most other frame options.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Yes another Inbred is a last resort if I can’t find anything else that tickles my fancy. Just looked again at the Solaris and it doesn’t seem to be SS compatible (don’t want to run a chain tensioner) and AFAICS the Simple is no longer available.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What to replace my On One Inbred 29er SS frame with?’ is closed to new replies.