Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What to replace Avid Juicy 5 brakes with?
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

I don’t want to spend the world, but I would like something powerful, with good modulation, that won’t overheat on long Alpine style descents like my Juicy 5s. I’m thinking of Shimano Deore M615 or Shimano SLX M675 with a 180mm rotor up front. Any experience of these brakes anyone, and is there anything else I should consider?

BFITH
    Free Member

I’ve got SLX on my full sus and Deore on my hardtail. After ditching Avids on the FS and Hayes on the HT i wont be getting anything other than shimano for a while. For the price they’re unbeatable (IMHO)

snakebite
    Free Member

feet on wheels bmx style would be an improvement on Avids… 8)

Cant go wrong with deore or SLX

joat

I’ve just bought some deores, very impressed, ample power at glentress last week, even with a 160 front. This is coming from 10 year old hayes 9s so anything would probably feel better.

will
    Free Member

Just what BFITH said. Switched from Avid Elixir on the XTC to Deore and they’re brilliant.

stumpy01

If you’re worried about overheating, get some Shimano with the finned pads & go for bigger rotors…..

jimslade
    Free Member

I’ve got the Deore M615s they stop dead if you want or slow you down on steep descents without getting too hot. I’m pretty heavy too at 105kg, when I first put them on I had a couple of almost over the handlebar moments. Great upgrade.

jonnyrockymountain

Any other brake would be an improvement over juicy 5’s
    But don’t look any further than shimano, Deore, SLX, XT depends on your budget

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What to replace Avid Juicy 5 brakes with?’ is closed to new replies.