Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What to look for in a kid's bike?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Junior is nailing it on the balance bike now but it’s on just a tad too small so want to get her a new bike for Chrimbo. She’ll be nearly 5 by then..
    Any tips on what to look for/recommendations?
    Don’t want to spend loads, maybe upto £150, but would rather buy new as #2 will be inheriting it after she’s finished on the balance bike.

I feel sorry for #2 as I guess all or her bike will 2nd hand 🙁

johni
    Free Member

Our twin girls (just turned 5) have Specialized Hotrocks 12″. My son (8) had one of them and progressed to a Ridgeback MX16. I’ve just gone against all my morals and bought him a 24″ Islabike. I have to say that despite the high cost it is worth the money and resale after his sister has used it should mean I recoup some of the money.

I’m considering Islabikes as the upgrade from the Hotrocks for his sisters. They are lightweight (important for lightweight kids), brakes and gear shifters work well etc.

Other potentials – Hoy, Wiggins and Frog make similar bikes. At our cycling club, a few kids have Dawes too. They might be worth a look?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Worth checking the weights of the bikes – one of the ones we were looking at for my little one was heavier than my bike!

Isal bikes have great resale value so maybe worth considering that ni the budget.

MtbRoutes

Buy well (ie. spend more) and you’ll get it back down the line when you sell.

Also, if you buy second hand then kid #2 won’t be the only one getting a used bike – all’s fair!

Big fan of Early Rider bikes here.

aracer
    Free Member

One of our Islabikes was s/h, used by both my kids and now sold on to another family (for almost the same as we paid for it). Islabike currently being ridden by my oldest is also s/h – bought from somebody I know, had been used by two of his kids and I’m sure it will be fine for younger one when it gets passed on. s/h was actually an advantage for me at this point, as of course when we got that the younger one got handed down a bike and they’re old enough to be aware of such things – so they both have s/h bikes.

I’m not sure why you think there would be a problem buying a s/h quality bike for use by two kids – they tend to grow out of them rather than wear them out.

Oh and we did the bike for Christmas thing once, but if you’re buying quality bikes and handing them down it’s not a good habit to get into – bikes are now bought when they need them, and not for presents.

natrix
    Free Member

bikes are now bought when they need them, and not for presents

Sound advice 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Weight is a big thing, don’t want her on a big lump of steel.
    I suppose 2nd hand does make sense, especially as it will be passed down..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What to look for in a kid's bike?’ is closed to new replies.