Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What to eat the day before a race?
  • bomberman
    Free Member

pizza? steak and chips? does it matter?

and while we’re on the subject of race food, will mixing two high5 sample packs with different flavours taste unbearably bad or is it all just energy drink at the end of the day? i would do a trial run but don’t want to waste it 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

just had a loaf of bread and some mullitagawni soup….

have you used high 5 before ? if not id scrap using it altogether or it could ruin your race.

Only race with what you have used before !

bomberman
    Free Member

never used it before but need all the help i can get! why what’s so bad about it?

EDIT: i’ve never raced before either!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Loads of carbs. Pasta is good.

Regards Highfive, go for it, can’t be that bad. If you’ve never used it before watch it dosn’t give you the runs. Electrolytes and energy gels etc are worth experimenting with if you’re going to use them in anger.

On the plus side, if they do loosen your bowels, it could result in some good lap times. I always find I lap well when I’m over hydrated and really busting for a leak 🙂

crotchrocket
    Free Member

get the aggression going.

Eat a baby 👿

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Well if you’ve never raced before and you’ve never used high five before, my advice would be to make it up half strength, so it dosn’t make you feel sick, yet you still get the electrolytes in and to make sure you’re well hydrated before you start.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

you entering the brownbacks race on sunday then tim?

i’m marshalling again…

grahamh
    Free Member

Pasta the night before,
    rice pudding for breakfast (jam optional).

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I find a small armadillo about 45mins before gives that ideal long release energy needed.Then a shrew 5mins before better short release(more sugary)
    hope this helps 😆
    Bruce

bomberman
    Free Member

yeah im going all out and entering the have a go hero category! xherbivorex – is that you martin?

bomberman
    Free Member

This thing about getting the runs – if i try some of it today but not the stuff i’m going to use ( i got a couple of sample packs with xtreme, 4:1 and normal stuff plus a couple of gels with and without caffeine) it’l tell me generally wether it suits me, right?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

not martin- andrew!
    i hope you spent that 50 notes wisely mate!
    at least enter the weekend warrior cat so you don’t get away with missing the ginnel out…

Keva
    Free Member

eat well the day before, two or three days before if you can. On race day eat normally and adjust the amount to cover what you think you’ll need for the extra intensity – eat too much though and you could end up slowing yourself down and feeling a bit ick. It’s your first race anyway so it’s going to be a bit trial and error. Id give the energy drinks a miss until you’ve trained on them a few times to see how they affect you.

bomberman
    Free Member

Sorry Andrew! i think i called you martin last time didnt i? We were drooling over the baby blue orange blood with 36 floats right? lol never have been good at remembering names! The 50 quid was very wisely spent (women, wine, u know how it is 😉 )

This is my dilemma do i do the weekend warrior and probably come last or do i enter have-a-go-hero and take it easy but miss out the ginnell?

bomberman
    Free Member

theres no way i’m missing out the energy drinks on race day. for reasons i can’t be bothered going into on this forum they’re essential over solid foodstuffs! ( and pretty much a substitute) Question is, do i have a camelback full of 4:1 and take a bottle with xtreme in it?

damn it i’m sure i’ll figure something out

xc-steve
    Free Member

Eat high Carb low fat food, the fat clogs up all the goodness the Carbs put in so to speak. If you can handle it just pasta no sauce. Porrage the day of the race.

Don’t eat anything too sugary 60min before the race as it’ll actually make you slower due to your body trying to get rid of the sugar in your blood then its like ahh crap need the sugar ooooh what do I do ABORT ABORT ABORT…. then you spontaneously combust!

True story

Joxster
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the ‘Ohh you better trying it before hand’ BS, I’ve been handed up drinks that I had never tried in training.

The two approaches:

Pro: Drink plenty of fluids, have a high carb meal with chicken. Steak is harder to digest.

Weekend Warrior: Who cares, eat what you want, have a few beers and relax.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I 1st raced on SIS Go and was ill the whole race! Stomach cramps etc. High5 ‘bungs’ me up but I race well on it and don’t feel sick until i’ve been on it for about 5hrs+. I use their gels as well but it really is worth experimenting to find ones you agree with!
    Weaken the concentration to start with is good advice. And go steady on the Extreme unless you tried caffiene products before. I can use caffiene gels but Extreme gives me the shakes big time!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Jaffa cakes and cider … winning combination 😆

Joxster
    Free Member

If you are lactose intolerant then you’re best using Torq or Maxim, as most other makes contain lactose.

poppa
    Free Member

I did a hardcore training ride, to assess my fitness last night. I used SISGO, but mixed at 50% of the reccommended dosage. No stomach troubles, but it helped with both energy and hydration. This was for 2hrs of flat out cycling.

Joxster
    Free Member

If it is hot reduce the amount of powder added.

IdleJon

If it’s your first race you are going to have other things to worry about when you start other than what you ate.

Halfway through my first race, I couldn’t believe so many parts of my body could hurt in so many unique and new ways. The ripping pain in my lungs. The lactic pain in my legs. The burn on my face as it turned a newly discovered colour. The aches making their way from lower back to shoulders then back again.

I found that every single thing that could irritate me, did. Bottles fell out (pre-Camelbak use, of course). Helmet straps rubbed where they had never done before. Shorts rubbed inside thighs. The gears played up. The brakes weren’t good enough. (Being rigid, I couldn’t find a complaint about the suspension.)

I don’t remember thinking about the previous day’s food at all.

My only tip would be not to eat anything spicy on the day of the race as it will definitely repeat, through the whole race.

(Oh and I completely loved my 1st race – I hope you do too. Good luck.)

Keva
    Free Member

theres no way i’m missing out the energy drinks on race day. for reasons i can’t be bothered going into on this forum they’re essential over solid foodstuffs! (and pretty much a substitute)

good luck then !

bomberman
    Free Member

‘Course i’ll have a bowl of porridge in the morning before the race. and thanks for the good luck, i’ll need it 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What to eat the day before a race?’ is closed to new replies.