Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What to drink when 'not drinking'?
  • MrSparkle

I’m off the booze for a while but still like to go to the pub to see mates etc. I made the mistake of drinking pints of coke at a recent Do and was still awake at 3.00 am. I’ve tried drinking J2o’d etc which are ok they are a bit pricy and sugary:cloying for drinking all night. Orange squash and water or lemonade is ok but a bit dull. What else could I try?

martinhutch

I like a St Clements – Bitter Lemon and Orange Juice. Doesn’t taste quite as sweet as J20 etc. Although it probably has at least as much sugar in it!

superstu
    Free Member

Shimano

wallop

Lime & soda is nice and refreshing.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Brewdog nanny state is pretty good. Think it’s 0.5% so not strictly alcohol free but near enough.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wallop + 1 Lime and soda for me

jakd95
    Free Member

Lime and soda, not too sweet.

Phil_H

I go for erdinger alcohol free if I’m having an evening off the booze.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Lime and Indian Tonic water.

shermer75
    Free Member

Camomile tea, obvs 😉

NZCol

I’m quite taken with Brewdog nanny state, actually tastes of something

richardkennerley

+1 for erdinger, but I prefer Bavaria alcohol free wheat beer. Usually 6 330ml bottles for £3 in tesco

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Beck’s blue is ok

cinnamon_girl

Rose’s lime cordial with coconut water.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tomato juice spicy as you like.

Nanny state is the only dtinkable brewdog beer they make!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Freshly squeezed lime and soda. Much nicer than any cordial.

Get yourself a Mexican Elbow 😀

theotherjonv

Gin and tonic.

When half gone, add another tonic, and repeat.

You can do the same with a half of beer and then keep adding in alcohol free on top.

Avoids the shock of just going straight to alcohol free beer which doesn’t quite taste right.

jimdubleyou

This thread reminds me of Kaliber. Which was shit.

Orange Juice & Lemonade for me, or if I’m at our favourite restaurant, they do an apple Mojito which is actually awesome..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ginger beer and lime.

vickypea
    Free Member

Tonic water, Brewdog Nanny State, or tomato juice with Tabasco sauce.

thepurist

Nothing – if you’re not out “drinking” you’re just out with your mates. How much coke or orange juice would you drink on an evening normally – why drink more than that just because you’re “out”

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ginger beer if replacing beer that you’d have with food. Not sure about a night out on it though. Bit fiery and gassy. Likewise can’t stand drinking coke all night, but then not keen on sugary drinks like that anyway (and the “diet” version is full of nasty crap).

jimdubleyou – Member 
    This thread reminds me of Kaliber. Which was shit.

Yep. Worse is zero alcohol Cobra. Taste like rotten cabbages.

terrahawk
    Free Member

take a flask of tea 🙂

mick_r

Milk, like that bloke in the Cravendale advert.You might need a wig to look like him…. 😉

scaredypants

you can still get Kaliber, saw some in a pub fridge the other day – wonder if it still tastes like (I imagine) vomit that’s been washed out of a bucket using piss ?

cp

Lime and soda. Can drink loads and it doesn’t get sickly.

Sandwich

Sparkling mineral water ice and a slice when I’m des.

julzm
    Free Member

Sparkling water with black currant cordial is really nice. I’m not a drinker either but I can drink this for a bit.

wiggles
    Free Member

Milk, like that bloke in the Cravendale advert.

I like milk but… drinking 8 pints of milk would make more sick and 100% less drunk than 8 beers so don’t see the point

deadkenny
    Free Member

Non alcoholic. Though does contain “other” stuff 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Bricvic 55 topped up with coke in a pint glass.

Looks like shit, but is ace.

shermer75
    Free Member

Kaliber, second advert in. With a whole ton of nostalgia

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3WBKzGz6bg[/video]

edhornby

slimline tonic, because it’s not expensive if you ask for it from the gun (if they have it) and you can’t neck it like fizzy pop

Erdinger Alkoholfrei isn’t too bad for a substitute, better than becks blue

or just water – pretty much everything served in a pub is calorific, so if you aren’t there for the booze…

slowoldman

I don’t think I’d bother going to a pub in those circumstances.

wiggles
    Free Member

Seems really weird watching a celebrity endorsing tobacco products… forgot how normal that used to be.

RustySpanner

Guinness.
    It’s a health tonic.

Tinners

Another shout out for Brewdog Nanny State. Lovely stuff. Nice with a curry too. One of the few that has a pleasant bitterness to it enough without being too sweet. I’ll often drink it even if I don’t need to be alcohol free. Apart from that, I usually go for fizzy water – San Pellegrino if I can get it (ideally cold with ice and a slice of lemon). Erdinger Alkoholfrei comes 3rd for me – a touch too sweet for my taste, but great after a long, hot, dusty midsummer ride (usually take it in a chillbox on ice in the car for us to have after the Gap ride on the hottest of summer days). Really hits the spot. Becks Blue a distant 4th – has an unpleasant aftertaste but passable if nothing alse is available. All of them taste better really cold though.

BenjiM

Nothing – if you’re not out “drinking” you’re just out with your mates. How much coke or orange juice would you drink on an evening normally – why drink more than that just because you’re “out”

Nail on the head. People typically have drink after drink as the alcohol dehydrate and they continually feel thirsty. There’s no need to keep drinking orange juice or whatever for the sake of it.

taxi25
    Free Member

Good god, you need advise about what soft drink you should buy. There’s no one thing that will be available everywhere, just pick the least nauseating thing available !!

jimster01

Another vote for lime & soda.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What to drink when 'not drinking'?’ is closed to new replies.