Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What to do with Polenta?
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Got a slab in the cupboard and can’t think how to make it yummy. Simple ideas please.
    Covering it in gravy is one option but I am sure than the masses here can do better than that.

beaker

Google lemon and polenta cake…..

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/jalapeno-cheddar-corn-bread.html

cornmeal/polenta are basically the same thing

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Replace it with chips.

And cover them with gravy.

Cougar

Google lemon and polenta cake…..

Nigella’s.

(Though, that uses the granular stuff rather than a ‘block’)

mossimus
    Free Member

In the village my FIL comes from they spread polenta on a suitably covered table and then top with bolognaise.

nickc

Replace it with chips.

is the correct answer

perchypanther
    Free Member

Got a slab in the cupboard and can’t think how to make it yummy.

Use it to weigh down the menu for the Chinese Takeaway.

jamesfts
    Free Member

DIY?

Pretty much the only thing polenta is good for is a building material.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Valid point about the chips.
    Could I use it to ghetto tubeless my tyres?

Jakester
    Free Member

I once bought that pre-made slab polenta.

I think you’re supposed to fry it.

Still tasted rank.

I’d bin it.

Missus made Nigella’s polenta, lemon and raspberry cake yesterday – highly recommended (but as pointed out, uses loose polenta, not cooked).

Otherwise we sprinkle a bit on potatoes before roasting, and use on pizza bases to stop them sticking. Once tried making cooked polenta from the meal – it involves about an hour of constant stirring, and the end result is rank.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Probably, it’s quite slimey.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think you’re supposed to fry it.

Dunno if that’s a quirk of the pre-made stuff, but proper polenta chips are epic.

Can also make polenta ‘roast potatoes’ same idea, just make it a ball and shallow fry/roast in the oven like you would potatoes.

Once tried making cooked polenta from the meal – it involves about an hour of constant stirring, and the end result is rank.

Add water, stir until smooth, leave to set, done.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Boil it; then throw the water away.
    Boil it again; then throw the water away.
    Boil it again; then throw the POLENTA away and use the water for a pot noodle instead.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Binners to the forum.

Binners loves polenta….

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Polenta fries with garlic and rosemary, mmmmm

somafunk

Polenta?….. it’s just a poor mans sugro

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Going slightly off-topic, but yesterday I discovered Co-Op’s Cheddar and jalapeno loaf outside of the New Forest for the first time since our camping hol three years ago… Amazing (despite I’m sure it’s shrunk in size due to weak pound)!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

In my cheffing days we used to slice it thinly and use it instead of the pasta in a vegetarian lasagne .

Cougar

Polenta?….. it’s just a poor mans sugro

Proper gave me the giggles, thanks for that.

slowster
    Free Member

Brush slices with olive oil and grill on both sides till crisp and brown (~3 mins), then serve with

– prosciutto
    – asparagus and shaved parmesan
    – fresh red chilli and rocket
    – anchovy, rosemary, lemon and olive oil dressing

(From The River Cafe Cookbook)

Top with slices of Taleggio cheese, and grill so that the cheese melts.

(From Made in Italy by Giorgio Locatelli)

dannyh
    Free Member

Use it to stand on to reach anything else in the cupboard.

If you only find tofu, kill yourself.

allan23
    Free Member

Cut into slices, drop down toilet, flush and cut out the middle man. The only thing with less taste and worse texture is SiS Gels or wallpaper paste.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Bin it.

johnx2
    Free Member

can be used as a stand in for mashed potato. Depends on the kind of party…[video]https://youtu.be/qjE6qrYyE6Q[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Philistine’s the lot of you!

How can you say it has no flavor when:
    a) it probably has more flavour than the majority of carb’s
    b) it’s not supposed to have flavour, you’re supposed to flavour it. That’s like decrying Italian cooking because Pizza is just unleavened bread and pasta is a bit bland!

The only thing with less taste and worse texture is SiS Gels or wallpaper paste.

Well, two are corn starch, and the other’s probably partially inverted corn syrup.

Russell96

Was quickly scanning the forum post titles and for a moment I thought it was Placenta. You do not want to Google the cooking tips for that!

poly
    Free Member

If we are talking about polenta already made on a block then slice about 10mm thick, season and oil and fry on a hot griddle pan (so you get nice scorch lines on it). Make a thick sauce (e.g. strong flavoured tomatoey sauce). Cook some meat (perhaps chicken roasted in the oven with some herbs and lemon. Fry some pancetta (or thin bacon) until crispy.

Put polenta on plate, add sauce around the outside, put pancetta on top, add chicken.

If you want a recipe there is something like this is one of the Jamie Oliver quick books (I think its in his 15 minutes – which means it will take normal people about 40!).

If its not the solid block type polenta, then work out how to transform it – because like mashed potato, once you’ve had roasted or chips mash is just not going to win!

nostoc
    Free Member

I beg to differ. Cook polenta soft and porridgey(?)on day one, fry/roast it on day two. (I think you underestimate mashed potato also).

But, sure, it is always going to be bland carbs. Just add enough olive oil/butter, fresh herbs, salt and pepper and serve it with something with sufficient guts that it needs some bland carbs

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Russell96 – Member
    Was quickly scanning the forum post titles and for a moment I thought it was Placenta. You do not want to Google the cooking tips for that!

Having eaten polenta I’m trying to decide which sounds less appealing.

simondbarnes

I was going to say throw it away and buy some chips but it appears that I’ve been beaten to it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well the instructions ( the quickest and easiest of several on the packet) said fry until crisp in olive oil. Bugger that, I’m no hippy so I used bacon fat. Actually tasted alright. Filled a hole. Not rushing past a chippy to buy some more!

funkynick

Having just been given a 25kg sack of the loose stuff I’m following this thread with interest…

I fear it might take a while to get through!

dpfr

Ah! If you’ve got the dried stuff, then orange polenta cake is yummy. 25 kg would let you make 180 cakes

funkynick

Only 180?

So that’s only one cake every two days for a year… what could possibly go wrong with that? 😀

poly
    Free Member

funkynik – as well as the cakes… you can turn it into other forms, including “bricks” to make into slices/chips, or use it as a “crumb” on the outside of other stuff.

nostoc- I beg to differ. Cook polenta soft and porridgey(?)on day one, fry/roast it on day two. (I think you underestimate mashed potato also).

I am certainly quite particular about my mash, and nothing disappoints quite like naff mash, well except porridge, and polenta mush! BUT I can appreciate a really good mash, so I expect I could appreciate a good polenta mush. I doubt I will ever appreciate porridge.

mattsccm – I’m no hippy so I used bacon fat. Actually tasted alright.

of course, everything tastes better with bacon.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use the dried stuff for cornbread.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had polenta with a wild boar stew in Italy, the hotel riviera bikes use, it was awesome.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

We were at Veneta last night Veneta and they served Polenta Croquettes with a sliver of Proscuitto in between the the croquette… sublime

muttley109
    Free Member

Simmer a ham hock with stock veg, bay leaves, parsley stalks and thyme for 3 hours.
    Remove the skin and place in a roasting tray, put the ham hock on top and coat in a mixture of soft brown sugar and mustard. Chuck a handful of sage leaves on top. Roast for 25 min.

Strain the remaining ham stock and pour into a large pan. Add polenta whilst continuously stirring. When smooth, leave to cook for 5-10 minutes. Then add grated, strong cheddar, chopped parsley and butter. Mix well and season.

Remove ham from the oven and shred.

Splodge polenta onto a plate, top with a handful of shredded ham, a few crispy sage leaves and a serve with a dollop of mustard.

Polenta doesn’t have to be bland, you just need to cook properly!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What to do with Polenta?’ is closed to new replies.