Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do with old Lumicycle halogens
  • chilos
    Free Member

Anybody have any suggestions for what to do with an old set of Lumicycle twin halogens with a dead battery? No bids when I put them on eBay, and I just can’t bring myself to chuck them away.

BFITH
    Free Member

Ditto here… dont want to chuck them.. but probably wont use them again…

renton
    Free Member

Can you convert them to LED?

sandwicheater

I’ve two sets of the same however my batteries work. Use them now and again for parties (hang them in the tree in the garden).

thepodge
    Free Member

I could take them off your hands. Email is in profile if you want

BFITH
    Free Member

Use them now and again for parties (hang them in the tree in the garden).

Just found a new use for mine 😀

binners

Same as sandwicheater – I’ve called mine into service for lighting while camping, and doing barby’s.

Also used occassionally for their proper use if we’ve newbies out night riding for the first time

chilos
    Free Member

Don’t they get a bit hot just hanging around?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have a most of the kit to convert one to LED, you’d just need a driver, dunno where you’d get one now though?.

I have a heat sink and optic that one of you can have.

binners

Don’t they get a bit hot just hanging around?

Only about the same temperature as the surface of the sun

stumpy01

Thing is, most of the value is in the battery and they don’t convert that well to LEDs, as the cans aren’t very good at dissipating heat & there’s not a lot of room in them to stick the driver, LED board & lens.
    If the battery is dead then your options are fairly limited as you’ll need to buy a new battery anyway.

I converted mine a few yrs ago with XPG LEDs running the BlackCatTech LED that was being sold on ebay for a while – they were 690mA drivers, I think.
    I uprated them to 780mA drivers when he started producing them, but they overheated & failed quite quickly.

That reminds me, I think one of my lamps stopped working at the 24/12 last year & I never got round to looking into it – must do that in the next week or so….

chilos
    Free Member

Nobeerintheftidge, that’s very kind, but I’d be unlikely ever to get round to doing it, especially as I hardly do any night riding these days and anyway, I have some cheap Chinese LEDs that work just fine.
    The podge – I’ll have a think about it and email you if I can’t think of any way of using them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mine are still both going strong!. As Stumpy rightly says though, battery is a lot of cash, and you could buy a few sets of the chinese light and have change. Lumi’s are good lights though, and I liked the idea of not just chucking them away.

kcal

I still have a pair and a battery or two. Keep in reserve in case the updated LED one fails; or someone needs a set. Or for heading out late to the pub 🙂

large418
    Free Member

I have lamps with a choice of batteries, a hid with 2 batteries, and now I have some exposure lights the others are obsolete. I would put them in the same box as video recorders, floppy disc drives, rolls of cat5 cable, and pump action screwdrivers. Too good to throw away, but never going to get used again……

hilldodger
    Free Member

I just fit a low wattage bulb and keep for power cut, end of garden, camping use etc.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Donate them to someone new to MTB-ing…?

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve hung on to mine in case the kids want to try night riding. If they still work, mind!

Speshpaul

If you’ve got a basic charger you could get a lead acid (sealed) battery for a few quid.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do with old Lumicycle halogens’ is closed to new replies.