Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do with old iPhone 4?
  • geoffj

I have a couple of these gathering dust. One has a fubarred camera, the other is fully working.
    I know I could use them as iPods, but what else are they good for without a sim?

Any funky lego mindstorms or raspberry pi hacks?

shermer75
    Free Member

Make some money, help the environment

https://www.envirofone.com/en-gb/sell

Jamie
    Free Member

Load something like Navigon/Navmii on and use as a GPS?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have one with defunct wifi I use as a backup/holiday/loaner phone.

If you don’t want to use it as a streaming device then just sell them

loddrik
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/fLreo24WYeQ[/video]

CHB

Use it as a security webcam, download Manything.

CountZero

I’ve still got an old iP4, and I tried installing a satnav app on it, but it really struggled to run it. It may be that it just hasn’t got the processing power to cope with current satnav.
    I might give it another go, but I think it’s really only worth using as an iPod, or a basic smartphone with a sim installed.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of old 4S’s I use for navigation when out on longer trips.

I use MotionX GPS with map tiles cached for large parts of the UK in sensible zoom, and silly level zoom for specific places like Dartmoor etc. then turn off cellular, data, wifi and bluetooth so just using GPS, good for 8hrs or more, charge with booster (or dynamo if you have one).

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I’m in need of an unlocked/O2/Tesco iPhone4 f you fancy a few quid!

Mail in profile

smatkins1
    Free Member

I gave mine to my mum, she loves it.

Perhaps pass it onto an elderly or young relative as a ‘first smart phone’.

superleggero
    Free Member

I use mine as a GPS on the bike – attached to a backup battery to extend the battery life for all day rides. Plenty of cheap iPhone 4 bike mounts out there as it’s not a current phone.

thered

Is that man putting a phone through a blender?

geoffj

Isaac – they are both locked to Three, sorry.

theotherjonv

Isaac – I might have one, need to check with the wife when she gets back in. Don’t think battery life is great but otherwise good condition / works well.

brassneck

Car jukebox? Load it up with tunes and not worry too much about it getting nicked. Can double as the sat nav too as above..

GrahamS

I’ve got a couple of old 4S’s I use for navigation when out on longer trips.

Literally reading this on my 4S which is still my every day phone 😳 – still works just fine and not had any compelling reason to upgrade it yet.

DezB
    Free Member

Worth finding a use for as the recycle companies only pay a fiver for them last I looked. Mines a NAS streamer, but it has to stay on the mains all the time as the battery lasts about 5 minutes.

chestrockwell

We have one that’s left in the kitchen on a docking station thing. Use it as an ipod but also for internet radio as the DAB reception round us is patchy.

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

Geoffj – No worries

Theotherjonv – I managed to get sorted – thanks for the offer tho!

brennak

I still use mine to make phone calls, send and receive messages, take photos, send and receive emails, with memory map use it as a gps, in fact the only thing I can’t run is the singletrack app, but you can’t have everything.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do with old iPhone 4?’ is closed to new replies.