Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What to do with old bike?
  • cromega1991
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport which about a year ago I damaged the rear mech, hanger and chain (got a twig stuck in the drive train).

Took it into my local bike shop and was quoted circa £150 to fix as the cassette can chain rings were worn. Also at the same time there was brown gunk (rust) on the fork sanctions.

Bought a new bike, but have been doing up this bike slowly, not 100% convinced the cassette and chain rings are worn, but have spent money on a new chain, rear mech and hanger.

Have done a basic service on the suspension fork as it was seized but really needs replacing.

Brakes are now really spongy and even after getting the air bubbles out of the system are no better.

Sounds like I need to invest in new brakes and a fork, but is it worth it on this bike?, it would be nice to have a spare but should I just cut my loses?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sometimes, despite emotional attachments to bikes, it is best to try and find them a new home rather than keep them locked up in the shed 24/7.

I finally let my Tricross Singlecross go recently, after spending over two years since my RTA thinking I would get it roadworthy again, perhaps with a disc fork and disc front wheel. Chap who bought it already has it working again which made me smile, the bike is getting use again and I have some pocket money to put in my ever expanding Voodoo Wazoo upgrade slush fund.

I need to do the same with my 2006 Felt F5C, it’s a cracking bike that has seen less than 100 miles since a comprehensive LBS service and components upgrade ~5 years ago. I kept hoping my lower back would recover from a nasty injury from ~8 years ago so I could ride the Felt again, but my RTA from Xmas 2013 has left my back far too weak and I feel horribly vulnerable on the drops.

Bikes are meant for riding, not gathering dust in a personal museum! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 2006 hardrock is my loaner bike. It has the original cassette, derrailier, chain and front rings ! It has cable v brakes

Your “old” bike is newer than both my main bikes which are 2012 with some components inc Fox forks from 2007

If you want a spare fix it up otherwise sell it. Cheap bikes have non-serviceable bits so when they need fixing they cost more

garage-dweller

If it were me IF / AND I thought I wanted to save it I’d go for a cheap rigid fork (steel) and some budget brakes from wherever had Shimano ones cheapest. If the drive train is OK keep it, if not budget single speed.

What a lbs considers as worn out drive train parts and what still works more than well enough are often different…

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’m about to start a similar project on my old Orange Gringo (2006). My plan is to swap the forks for rigid, while I’m doing that I’m going to replace the headset, stem and bars. Upgrade to disc brakes. Then in the coming months change the drivetrain. I don’t really need the bike, but I fancy a bike that will be fun to ride and that I can use around town and on the canal tow paths.

I think it’s worth doing and the project will be rewarding as you get to do the work yourself.

dahedd
    Free Member

We’ve got a local bike shop in Lossiemouth that’s run more or less along charity lines. They take in old bikes fix them up, respray & sell on. They also rent bikes then sell them on. Got my daughter a cracking 24″ Specialized Hotrock from them.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If it’s large size and you decide to pass it on I know an 18 yr old who has no sensible way to get to (rural) workplace – I’ve tried to fix his old bike but it is dire – (rusted solid forks, twisted chainrings, hubs gone, shifters like treacle, etc etc) so looking for a feasible fixerupper that he won’t be ribbed too hard over (like my 1990s Raleigh) – my email in profile if so chrs

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Loaner bike is a good shout and having something that is a bit tired so that you don’t mind leaving locked up outside the pub/shops/wherever. Spend enough that it’s functional but not so much that you’d be gutted if it were to go missing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Give it away, either to a friend/relative or a bike refurb charity.
    Did same myself recently, bike was a wreck, but new owner is delighted with it despite being fully aware of all its shortcomings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What to do with old bike?’ is closed to new replies.