Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What to do with my bike?
  • EZrider
    Free Member

This is my bike

Here

It’s a 2004 Banshee Scirocco with 150mm Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 forks.

I’ve not been riding much for several years until just recently, but I’m now riding regularly again. I’ve put some new 26″ Roval Traverse SL carbon wheels on the bike which were going very cheap at my LBS. My dilemma is what to do next. I was thinking of getting the frame media blasted and powder coated because the paint is not in great condition which will cost about a hundred quid. The problem then is that the frame only takes a straight “1 1/8 steerer, so a replacement fork will be almost impossible to find.

Should I go ahead with the powder coat, or future-proof by going with a new 26″ frame like this 399 pound On-One Carbon 456 Evo?

Generally speaking I’ve always changed parts on my bikes rather than buying new.

Or should I leave the bike as it is and save up for a new full susser?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

you lost me at the point you mentioned spending 100 quid painting the frame. Why on earth would you wasted that much money on something that doesn’t make the bike function any better?

Also, not convinced that buying another 26″ frame is “future proofing”

EZrider
    Free Member

That’s not a bad point, but I just got new 26″ wheels.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

sell the posh new wheels to me for my son’s bike 🙂

coomber
    Free Member

Run the 26er stuff on a 650b frame and upgrade as you go along

EZrider
    Free Member

Won’t that lower the bottom bracket too much?

coomber
    Free Member

Will drop it a bit for sure. How much and if it will make a difference is something else?

tomhoward

Frame is worth pennies as it is. Re spraying it won’t help.

As others have said, go for a 650b frame then fit massive tyres to your 26 wheels

gonzy
    Free Member

dont some DH riders use 26″ wheels on their 650b frames?

DickBarton

Suspect your idea of the headset is also slightly off, plenty forks available as ‘straight’ 1 1/8th…

Bez

A ton is quite steep for a blast and powdercoat. I paid £60 last year, and if you shop around you might get low as £40.

clockarockin
    Free Member

If I were you I would go for a good quality 26/27.5 frame either new or second hand.

I used to have Production Privee Oka, great trail bike, modern geometry, can be ran with either 26 or 27.5 wheels (just change the drop out) and has a tapered steerer for the fork upgrade.

You can also use a 1.5-1.1/8 converter so you run your current forks for the time being.

These can usually be picked up around the 250-300 pound mark and its a great ride!

adds

Not hijacking but having similar thoughts at moment. Was looking at a Dartmoor primal 2015 frame what’s the collectives thoughts?

Matt_SS_xc

I would say that straight steered forks are definitely hard to find now and will soon disappear. Particularly ones of good quality. Sold my 5spot for that reason alone.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve not been riding much for several years until just recently, but I’m now riding regularly again.

Keep riding regularly until you know what you want – then get that and ride some more! 😉

If you want to go down the full-sus route, look out for a 2013 onwards Banshee Spitfire. Aside from being a great bike it’s very adaptable – adjustable geometry (three flipchip positions), plus swappable dropouts and a zero stack tapered head tube, so it’ll handle almost any type of rear axle, any type of fork steerer, and 26 or 27.5 wheels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What to do with my bike?’ is closed to new replies.