• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by myti.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What to do with money in ISA?
  • myti
    Free Member

My 2 year ISA matured and rates for new ones are rubbish. I was considering putting some in Zopa peer to peer lending but with the financial uncertainty at the moment I’m not sure as if we have a big recession more people will default on loans.

I have a mortgage with no penalty of over repayment so should I just use all my ISA to overpay? It’s at 2.49%. I have other savings to fall back on if something bad happened and no dependants or need to buy anything big in the near future. I think it makes sense but just feels odd to not have an ISA.

scaled
    Free Member

Just overpay the mortgage, simples

johndoh
    Free Member

May I be the first to suggest Coke & Hookers?

GrahamS

Rate in ISA is crap. Rate in mortgage is 2.49%. You have other funds.

Personally I’d just stick it in the mortgage.

toby1

Over payments make more sense than low interest ISA’s if you can afford it to not be part of an emergency fund.

nickjb
    Free Member

Are your other savings doing better? I keep mine as a cash reserve just in case. Even though the rates are poor they may go up (though that is less likely now) and it’s as good a place as any for quick access. My stocks isa does much better but that is for the long term. Worth putting a little into p2p lending as the returns are good but as you say it could be risky but not too bad as part of a spread of investments

mudshark
    Free Member

If you take it out of the ISA you’ll lose that ISA allowance which may not matter to you. Get 3% at Santander 123 – you can earn £500 or £1000 tax free depending on your tax threshold now.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I have other savings to fall back on if something bad happened and no dependants or need to buy anything big in the near future.

My god what’s wrong with you man, you must need a new bike surely?

tthew

Stocks and shares ISA instead of a cash one. If it’s a decently managed fund should get you better than 2.5%.

mudshark
    Free Member

A risky time to start doing that.

plyphon
    Free Member

May I be the first to suggest Coke & Hookers?

Excellent choice, sir.

globalti
    Free Member

Buy an expensive bike? It’s as good an investment as an ISA because it will keep you fit and healthy, being such a joy to ride.

I’ll be out on mine this evening, happy the money isn’t in a poxy ISA.

myti
    Free Member

Got 2 nice bikes already, hookers (or more accurately gigolos don’t appeal and coke doesn’t mix well with riding bikes! Got the santander 123 account earning 3% on the rest of the savings so think I will just over pay now and see how financial circumstances pan out and might do some peer to peer in the future.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What to do with money in ISA?’ is closed to new replies.