Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to do with loads of old screws / nails / nuts / bolts?
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve recently had a large number of the aforementioned come into my possession. There’s probably 10 or 12 buckets full.

Any ideas what i should do with it? Will i even get the fuel money back if i weigh it in? (There’s perhaps 100kg* of it)

*this figure is entirely made up…

matt_outandabout

bruneep

should get £40* per bucket
    *this figure is also entirely made up… 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

Unlesss they are an easy sort(size ,thread type,etc) scrap bin them .
    Life’s too short 😉

teethgrinder

Home made claymores for when Z-day arrives?

steveoath
    Free Member

Melt them downand make chain rings?

project
    Free Member

When wheelie bins where first introduced , my neighbours dad had just died and he had a shed full of jars screwed to underside of shelves, was the done thing then, so his daughter threw then into wheelie bin, filing it to top, bin man came and tried to drag bin to refuse collection vehicle and in so doing nearly wrenched his arm out of the socket as weight of bin moved forward.

Very little value in scrap ferrous metals in small amounts.

Phil_H

My last trip to the scrappy ferrous scrap was £120 per ton.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

There’s no money on scrap at the minute, not worth the hassle weighing it in for the £10 you’ll get.

Have a laugh sick it on gumtree

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Trust me, you don’t get much for scrap these days, but you could have fun throwing them all over the scrap yard and watch the jcbs struggle to do their job. 😈

epicyclo

There’s bound to be a sportive in your area soon.

It’s traditional to recycle old nails and tacks on the road at that time… 🙂

survivor

Surprisingly if they are really old a museum may have them. Beamish, in the north east, lapped up a load of old nails a friend found while clearing out his dad of sheds. …

JoeG
    Free Member

Is there any sort of building material recycle place nearby?

Something like http://www.constructionjunction.org/

alanl
    Free Member

It’s wirth virtually nothing at the moment.
    I cleared my shed a few weeks ago, 39kg total of old tools, screw/bolts etc.
    £1.16

The Dealer told me he wasnt going to be taking any more iron scrap in as it just wasnt worth it – he buys it at £40/tonne, and sells on at £75 tonne. Add in Staff and transport costs and he says he barely breaks even on it.
    Wholesale prices are here:
    http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metals/ferrous-metal-prices/ferrous-metal-prices-2015/

Currently ~£70 tonne for light iron (general steel scrap).
    It was £170/tonne 2 years ago, so worth doing, but the economy in China has slowed, so they want less of it, hence prices have fallen.

spooky_b329

Sensible but boring answer…tip it in the metal skip at the tip!

z1ppy

It’s sunday, Shirely like us there must be 20* scrap metal vans circling the general area.. Give it to them

*slight exaggeration.. But there always one about

robdob
    Free Member

Even if you don’t get anything much by weighing it all in at least it’ll be recycled into something else, I’d probably drop it all off for free to be honest.

WillH

Ring a few local preschools/kindergartens, see if they want them. The one my son goes to (not in the UK, not sure if that makes a difference) has a carpentry bench with random blocks of scrap wood, hammers, screwdrivers, saws etc. They have pots of different sized tacks, nails, screws, the kids love making ‘stuff’ with them. They are always keen for donations of wood scraps and screws/nails etc.

Even if you give them an unsorted bucket, the kids can sort them. Sorting them into types and sizes is great for fine motor skills, risk management (avoiding the pointy ends), cognitive development and so on.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Old coffee table, lay all the nuts flat, pour resin over them.
    Et voila!

Duffer
    Free Member

Looks like it’s as i suspected. Thanks for the info.

I’m liking the coffee table idea!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to do with loads of old screws / nails / nuts / bolts?’ is closed to new replies.