Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What to do with Injured sparrow?
  • mattyfez

Found in garden, looks like a broken leg and broken wing but no visible injury.

It’s in a shoe box with some grass, local resue centre is closed and not very local

v8ninety

Give it half an hour in a shoebox away from cats. It’ll not last much longer I’d wager. Sad little things, injured birds.

bearnecessities

It’s BBQ weather.

Just sayin’.

leffeboy

as v8ninety. Otherwise if it lasts a bit longer we found a place near us that would take in injured birds of various flavours

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Otherwise if it lasts a bit longer we found a place near us that would take in injured birds of various flavours

A butcher’s shop.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just let it die. Nature is metal.

yunki
    Free Member

I dunno… there was a thread on here a while back about a baby robin I think

davosaurusrex

Sandwich?

mattyfez

It’s pretty unresponsive now, it won’t move and it’s eyes are half shut, think it’s had it.

davosaurusrex

Ah, poor little thing. They can’t take much trauma.

nickc

Fragile things. It’ll probably die unfortunately

alpin
    Free Member

a brick.

last year there was afledglking that had fallen 5 stories. was aware of it as the parents were chirpping away. one of the neighbours said to leave it, but it felt a bit shitty watching from the kitchen window as the parents were franctically fluttering about as the little’un lay there and died.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

take it home and have it with chips.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s pretty unresponsive now, it won’t move and it’s eyes are half shut, think it’s had it.

Do the decent thing. Brick, shovel, whatever. Stop it suffering.

bodgy
    Free Member

^^ What flash heart said, sadly.

Drac

Billions of spuggies just let nature take its cause.

steveirwin
    Free Member

Hearing this makes me so sad I want to cry 🙁

MrSmith
    Free Member

Chop it’s head off or bash it’s head with a hammer/brick etc. Nice and quick

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Hearing this makes me so sad I want to cry

After that stingray done you in, I’d have thought you would be like “death to all creatures”!

CountZero

Billions of spuggies just let nature take its cause.

Sadly not the case, sparrows have suffered a population crash like many other once very common birds, particularly starlings.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But, most people wouldn’t know a sparrow from any other LBJ.

superfli
    Free Member

I use a half moon edging tool from shed. Place it on the neck, one sharp whack down, dead. Plastic bag and bin

bearnecessities

Well this got a bit sad quickly.

At least you didn’t witness what I saw yesterday. Sat at traffic lights A650 roundabout, about 9pm, and a little field mouse ran out into the road.

Little fecker was scurrying about with cars whizzing around it – I literally had my head in my hands as it darted forth and back, avoiding the various vehicles, with no idea where it was going next. It clearly had Jeebus on its side as it was still alive and I must have given an out-loud “yes!” as it darted back to the pavement….

..and out of nowhere, came the magpie. 🙁

br
    Free Member

Do the decent thing

Drown it, best way.

Alpha1653

I’d give it a whack if it’s clearly on its way out. If that’s a bit too involved, then maybe a small plastic bag filled with CO2 from a canister? If it’s not responsive then that should just accelerate its demise.

Either way it’s not very nice. I was driving to work last year and came across a seagull which had been hit and was a right mess in the middle of the road. It was clearly stressed and looking around as cars continued to drive over it i.e. tyres straddling it so as not to kill it. I had to dispatch that pretty quickly with a whack with a metal bar from my car boot.

My boss looked at me like a nutter when I proffered it as an excuse as to why I was late with blood and feathers on my hands.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP, you’ve done the right thing but as others have said it won’t make it, very fragile little things. Something has probably had it to break it’s leg and wing (cat biting it won’t leave a mark you can easily see). Putting the box in airing cupboard will help prolong it’s life but that may not be the kindest thing to do.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

OP, How and where did you find it? I ask because our resident sparrowhawk has taken a couple of birds in our garden this weekend. A magpie was trying to get it off its kill but both times gave up after a couple of minutes and left it alone.
    Perhaps your sparrow was a sparrowhawk’s dinner but it got pushed/scared off by something?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Spade, brick, twist its neck, drive over it in a car, all better and more humane than sticking it in a box with some grass and it slowly dieing in pain, thinking wtf has some human stuffed me in a box with some grass

mattyfez

It died not long after I posted last, housemate found it in the garden and was wondering what to do with it when I arrived home from work, he has two cats that have caught birds before so I’m guessing that’s what happened to it.
    I suppose I could have killed it sooner.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdIQ9oqFnY[/video]

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Put it back where you found it that’s the food for a fox/badger or what other predator in the circle of life that lives in your garden.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I was driving to work last year and came across a seagull which had been hit and was a right mess in the middle of the road. It was clearly stressed and looking around as cars continued to drive over it i.e. tyres straddling it so as not to kill it. I had to dispatch that pretty quickly with a whack with a metal bar from my car boot.

Good man, most people are just happy to carry on in their little metal and glass bubble and not get involved. A few years back I saw a cat that had been hit on the side of a dual carriageway, cars and lorries whizzing past it inches from where it lay. Thing was clearly distressed, mewling and moving it’s head about. I stopped the car, put my hazards on and moved it to the grass verge. Granted it then scratched the f*ck out of my arms and ran off but I felt like I’d done the right thing.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What to do with Injured sparrow?’ is closed to new replies.