Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • What to do with heating oil…..
  • beefheart
    Free Member

I am moving house soon, and have a couple of hundred litres left in my tank.
    Obviously I don’t want to leave it behind.
    Don’t need it at my new house, so WTF can I do with it????
    Cheers.

welshfarmer

Sell it to the local travellers to run their transits on.

iolo
    Free Member

If you have no use for it what’s the problem in leaving it where it is?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Turn all the heating on full until you move, or just consider it one of those things that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It would be a right pain to move into a house and have to try and organise a heating oil delivery on the first day as someone had decided to empty the tank.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t forget to take all the light bulbs as well.

jambourgie
    Free Member

And the wallpaper…

beefheart
    Free Member

My issue is, when I moved in, there was no central heating so I paid to have the tank etc installed and bought the oil each year.
    I don’t really want to leave behind a few hundred pounds worth of something I could recoup if possible.

Same principle as when you buy a used car, you don’t expect a full tank of petrol.

No travellers around here either…..

PiknMix
    Free Member

If you are really that tight then negotiate a price for it in the sale so the new purchasers can enjoy hearing in thier new home.

My issue is, when I moved in, there was no central heating so I paid to have the tank etc installed and bought the oil each year.

So you want your buyers to effectively have no heating too?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your really want to get something for it add it as a sale extra, other wise what exactly are you going to do? You will need a 200l tank, pump, a way of moving the tank and then someone to flog it to.
    http://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/
    Current price about 38p/l so it’s about 76 quids worth of oil.

My issue is, when I moved in, there was no central heating so I paid to have the tank etc installed

How is this an issue – they are buying all of that from you.

iolo
    Free Member

Good luck in sucking it out, putting it in barrels and selling it.
    Would you buy heating oil from someone you don’t know?
    Just bloody leave it and don’t be a tight arse.

beefheart
    Free Member

Thanks keyboard warriors- I understand about karma…. 🙄

I fully intend to leave light bulbs and wallpaper etc. 😉

I was just wondering if anyone knowledgeable knew if there was a simple way to recoup any of the £500 I recently spent on oil that I no longer need…..
    Phewee!

beefheart
    Free Member

I will accept it if there isn’t.

PiknMix
    Free Member

As already said put the price of the oil in as an additional purchase. Or leave it and forgo the usual champers and just mention in the card that the oil is your welcome gift.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, charge the new owners for it. Cut them a deal so they actually take the offer and save on their heating bills.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The price has crashed, 500 quid will get you about 1300l now. It’s £35/100l now.

It will come down to what you deem economic. If you want rid stick on gumtree for collection.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

So basically, the OP should ask for 35-70 quid for the lot. 😆

Maybe charge them 69.99 so you can tell them you are them a favour saving all of one penny.

jambourgie
    Free Member

A rope with old rags tied around it every six inches or so can be lowered into the tank to soak up the remaining oil. The whole lot can then be burned or buried in the back yard. A lot of work; yes, but it stops the incoming freeloaders getting something for nothing.

😉

beefheart
    Free Member

Well, bollocks.
    I might just have a massive bonfire! 👿

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You will probably get reported for the fumes if you do that 😉

Seriously chill out, leave it in the tank

PiknMix
    Free Member

Did they massively stiff you on the asking price or something beefy?

jambourgie
    Free Member

You could always leave it in the tank for the new people; and then when they’re settled in – break in and steal something of equivalent value. That way you’re not ‘out of pocket’.

beefheart
    Free Member

Not really, I just like fire and don’t like losing money…

(I won’t really have a £500 bonfire, don’t worry stw panickers!)

beefheart
    Free Member

You could always leave it in the tank for the new people; and then when they’re settled in – break in and steal something of equivalent value. That way you’re not ‘out of pocket’.

Genius- will do, cheers for the advice!

trail_rat
    Free Member

im tight , i will scavenge fire wood and collect junk wood from mates – any old timber

i do how ever draw the line at oil when im offered it from folk wanting tanks emptied.

as joe public it aint worth the effort to move it – nor the clean up costs if you get it wrong.

plus it aint worth any where near what it used to be worth.

surely if you knew you were moving you would only have put in enough to tide you over ? i had this dilemia every time i moved rental – i used to manage to leave it on the same spot on the watch man as when i moved in though.

beefheart
    Free Member

I also collect ‘available’ wood from friends if offered, but have never been offered ‘available’ oil, so don’t know if there is a process to know what to do with it..
    The move happened quickly by the way, so the decision as to what to do with the oil was a mystery.
    I was hoping there would be a service which also collects it….

trail_rat
    Free Member

after its been in your tank – not likely.

its all mixed in with the water and other gunk in your tank – its no longer sellable.

an add on gumtree might find some pikeys that will come and take it and spill it all over your land contaminating it (which sepa or the equivalent in england will have a field day over)

ElShalimo

£500 compared to house price is probably a tiny fraction
    Don’t be a tight arse, forget about it and enjoy your new house

jimjam
    Free Member

The law on transporting fuel oil by car or van is pretty tight too if I recall. I can’t remember the specifics but I found out one winter that I was breaking the law by transporting 60 litres of kero in plastic cans in the back of my Hilux.

I can’t believe there are people out there as miserable as the op. I’ve left plenty of rented properties with oil in the tank when I could least afford it. Conversely all but one property I moved into had empty tanks, jacked up. So I guess he’s not alone in being tight.

Alphabet

Don’t listen to them. Sell it to me.

How about £45 posted?

😉

Ro5ey
    Free Member

😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OP. Assuming you’re in need of money (a feeling I know very well), as others have suggested, cut the incomers a deal and leave it there. Why not?

nickc

Sell it to the new owners if you can; is your only option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

As a buyer …. Id offer you 50quid if i felt generous , knowing full well you wont throw the house sale down the pan for 300 quids worth of oil and knowing that you probably realise you cant move it very easily .

nealglover
    Free Member

I won’t really have a £500 bonfire

Obviously not.

Mainly because you only have about 70 quids worth of oil in the tank, and buying another 430 quids worth at this stage would be daft.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pretty sure you will list it on the property information form as part of your conveyancing. You put a value against it there and say ‘not included’ if you want to offer it to the buyers.

iolo
    Free Member

If you’re selling the oil, make sure you sell the tank.
    Oh, and all flowers you planted,fencing around the property,those slates you had to fix,each blade of grass and whatever else you can think of.
    You left oxygen in the house? Silly man, charge them for it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yorkshireman? only they could be that tight.

Sundayjumper

And that has increased the value of the house, which you’re getting paid for.

FFS 😆

richmars

I’m waiting for the thread from someone who’s just moved into a house, in the middle of winter, and the previous occupier has emptied the oil tank.
    They have a couple of children, and some kittens, and it will take a few days to get some oil delivered.

ElShalimo

Maybe the rats will leave the compost thread and eat the kittens & children?
    Winter brings the worst out of all of us

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘What to do with heating oil…..’ is closed to new replies.